Replace file in folder inside Program Files

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Fernando

Replace file in folder inside Program Files
I developed an MS Access Application which I deploy as an mde in a directory
inside Program Files.

When I update the application I generally just replace the MDE on the user's
computers, but one of our users with Vista Home Premium cannot get the
updates. Any time I replace the file, it still opens the original file that
was created the first time.

I have set the permissions to allow myself full control of this directory
and every file in it, but no lock.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Jimmy Brush

Re: Replace file in folder inside Program Files
Hello,

If you tried to replace this file *before* changing permissions, a
duplicate file will have been created inside
c:\users\%username%\AppData\local\virtualstore\pro gram files\ that
will be used instead of the file in the real location.

If you delete that copy, it should load the new data.

NOTE: Any changes the application has made to the file will be inside
the duplicate file, and not the original - you should inspect these
files closely for differences, as you may need to merge them.

- JB

On Thu, 31 May 2007 14:27:02 -0700, Fernando
<Fernando@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I developed an MS Access Application which I deploy as an mde in a directory
>inside Program Files.
>
>When I update the application I generally just replace the MDE on the user's
>computers, but one of our users with Vista Home Premium cannot get the
>updates. Any time I replace the file, it still opens the original file that
>was created the first time.
>
>I have set the permissions to allow myself full control of this directory
>and every file in it, but no lock.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Thank you,

Jesper

Re: Replace file in folder inside Program Files
I'd add that you should read Mark Russinovich's article on UAC, which
documents this feature:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tec...C/default.aspx.
It will help you understand how this behavior works.
---