Two manifests snd UAC : why o asks for elevation but does not allo

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

chasgl

Two manifests snd UAC : why o asks for elevation but does not allo
We are converting a set of applications to run under Vista.

One application is a C++ application and I added an extra manifest file to
be included in the embedded mainfest. I specified requireAdministrator. When
I run that program pretty much what I expected to happen happens. I get a
prompt about "An unidentified program wants access to your computer" with the
choice to cancel or allow and the rest of the screen grayed out. I choose
allow and the program runs.

But another application is a VB6 application. I'm not sure how to make an
embedded manifest so I edited the manifest file to require
requireAdministrator. But for this application instead of the above prompt I
get a box listiing the full program path twice and the words "The requested
operation requires elevation" If I run the program by choosing Run as
adminstrator the same above prompt happens and when I choose Allow the
program runs.

I am doing all of this from an account with administrator privilidges. Why
is the behavior so different? Is there any way to make both applications act
like the first one?
Thanks,
Chas

Jimmy Brush

Re: Two manifests snd UAC : why o asks for elevation but does not allo
Can you post a link to / attach a screenshot of the difference?

- JB