System Restore Doesn't work Vista Home Premium

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Nev Parker

System Restore Doesn't work Vista Home Premium
Hi there,

I appologise on the post regarding System Restore, and have read all the
other posts without anything seeming relevant.

I have got a new laptop from Dell running Vista home premium. System info
is T5550 Processor, 1 Gb Ram.

I haven't been able to use system restore because it constantly deletes all
the retore points. When I try to creat a restore point manually the system
stopd responding. When I have used System retore on the few occasions when
it has created restore points (always windows update installations) it just
stops responding.

This is really annoying. Any help would be really appreciated.

As a second issue, the system occasionally stops responding and when I try
to stop the unresponsive programs by opening Task Manager I am unable to open
it. I am able to open Task Manager under normal situations.

I hope someone has the answer. I always found system restore to be really
useful i XP.

Thanks

Nev
Nev Parker

RE: System Restore Doesn't work Vista Home Premium
I turned System restore off and then (after 15 mins) turned it back on again.
I tried to create a restore point manually and got the following error
message.
"The creation of a shodow copy has timed out. Try again this
operation.(0x81000101)".

I hope this helps if anyone is listening.

Thanks

"Nev Parker" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I appologise on the post regarding System Restore, and have read all the
> other posts without anything seeming relevant.
>
> I have got a new laptop from Dell running Vista home premium. System info
> is T5550 Processor, 1 Gb Ram.
>
> I haven't been able to use system restore because it constantly deletes all
> the retore points. When I try to creat a restore point manually the system
> stopd responding. When I have used System retore on the few occasions when
> it has created restore points (always windows update installations) it just
> stops responding.
>
> This is really annoying. Any help would be really appreciated.
>
> As a second issue, the system occasionally stops responding and when I try
> to stop the unresponsive programs by opening Task Manager I am unable to open
> it. I am able to open Task Manager under normal situations.
>
> I hope someone has the answer. I always found system restore to be really
> useful i XP.
>
> Thanks
>
> Nev

Rock

Re: System Restore Doesn't work Vista Home Premium
"Nev Parker" wrote>
Hi there,

> I appologise on the post regarding System Restore, and have read all the
> other posts without anything seeming relevant.
>
> I have got a new laptop from Dell running Vista home premium. System info
> is T5550 Processor, 1 Gb Ram.
>
> I haven't been able to use system restore because it constantly deletes
> all
> the retore points. When I try to creat a restore point manually the
> system
> stopd responding. When I have used System retore on the few occasions
> when
> it has created restore points (always windows update installations) it
> just
> stops responding.
>
> This is really annoying. Any help would be really appreciated.
>
> As a second issue, the system occasionally stops responding and when I try
> to stop the unresponsive programs by opening Task Manager I am unable to
> open
> it. I am able to open Task Manager under normal situations.
>
> I hope someone has the answer. I always found system restore to be really
> useful i XP.

Since it's new have you talked with Dell tech support?

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Nev Parker

Re: System Restore Doesn't work Vista Home Premium
To be honest, Dell have been nothing more than aloof. I've been emailing for
three weeks with no response. I spoke to someone and said that they can have
the thing back. They said they would email to arrange pick up. I've heard
nothing.

I have tried restoring the Dell image to see if it was anything I'd
installed because I've been reading that some anti-virus software can affect
it. Afteer eight hours things seem to be okay. Didn't install AVG internet
security this time only AVG FREE anti-virus. Still using Windows firewall
until Zone alarm bring out a stable VISTA version. Also, only installed
word, powerpoint and excel from office XP. I installed Outlook before and
had loads of problems with it.

I'll report back if the problem continues.

Thanks

Nev

"Rock" wrote:

> "Nev Parker" wrote>
> Hi there,
> >
> > I appologise on the post regarding System Restore, and have read all the
> > other posts without anything seeming relevant.
> >
> > I have got a new laptop from Dell running Vista home premium. System info
> > is T5550 Processor, 1 Gb Ram.
> >
> > I haven't been able to use system restore because it constantly deletes
> > all
> > the retore points. When I try to creat a restore point manually the
> > system
> > stopd responding. When I have used System retore on the few occasions
> > when
> > it has created restore points (always windows update installations) it
> > just
> > stops responding.
> >
> > This is really annoying. Any help would be really appreciated.
> >
> > As a second issue, the system occasionally stops responding and when I try
> > to stop the unresponsive programs by opening Task Manager I am unable to
> > open
> > it. I am able to open Task Manager under normal situations.
> >
> > I hope someone has the answer. I always found system restore to be really
> > useful i XP.

> Since it's new have you talked with Dell tech support?
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rock

Re: System Restore Doesn't work Vista Home Premium
"Nev Parker" <NevParker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> To be honest, Dell have been nothing more than aloof. I've been emailing
> for
> three weeks with no response. I spoke to someone and said that they can
> have
> the thing back. They said they would email to arrange pick up. I've
> heard
> nothing.
>
> I have tried restoring the Dell image to see if it was anything I'd
> installed because I've been reading that some anti-virus software can
> affect
> it. Afteer eight hours things seem to be okay. Didn't install AVG
> internet
> security this time only AVG FREE anti-virus. Still using Windows firewall
> until Zone alarm bring out a stable VISTA version. Also, only installed
> word, powerpoint and excel from office XP. I installed Outlook before and
> had loads of problems with it.
>
> I'll report back if the problem continues.
>
> Thanks
>
> Nev
>
> "Rock" wrote:
>
>> "Nev Parker" wrote>
>> Hi there,
>> >
>> > I appologise on the post regarding System Restore, and have read all
>> > the
>> > other posts without anything seeming relevant.
>> >
>> > I have got a new laptop from Dell running Vista home premium. System
>> > info
>> > is T5550 Processor, 1 Gb Ram.
>> >
>> > I haven't been able to use system restore because it constantly deletes
>> > all
>> > the retore points. When I try to creat a restore point manually the
>> > system
>> > stopd responding. When I have used System retore on the few occasions
>> > when
>> > it has created restore points (always windows update installations) it
>> > just
>> > stops responding.
>> >
>> > This is really annoying. Any help would be really appreciated.
>> >
>> > As a second issue, the system occasionally stops responding and when I
>> > try
>> > to stop the unresponsive programs by opening Task Manager I am unable
>> > open
>> > it. I am able to open Task Manager under normal situations.
>> >
>> > I hope someone has the answer. I always found system restore to be
>> > really
>> > useful i XP.

>> Since it's new have you talked with Dell tech support?

Your welcome. AVG (free) or Avast (free - my preference) and the Windows
firewall is fine.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

ttoomm

Re: System Restore Doesn't work Vista Home Premium

RE: System Restore

I was having the same problem. I just turned off ZoneAlarm (fee
edition) and now I can manualy create Restore Points again.

--
ttoomm
ttoomm's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=27482

http://forums.techarena.in

James Matthews

Re: System Restore Doesn't work Vista Home Premium
How do you know it doesn't work?

--

http://www.goldwatches.com/watches.asp?Brand=14