Can't take Read-only off of folder.

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Corey9212

Can't take Read-only off of folder.
I am trying to take Read-only off of a folder and all sub files and folders
in the Properties area I deselect Read-only (I don't even know why it was set
to that to begin with) and click Apply then select Apply changes to this
folder, subfolders and files and click ok. It goes through the process of
making those changes and I click to close properties, but when I go back into
properties the #$% folder is marked as Read-only again I could do this a
million times and get the same results. UAC was turned off when the program
was installed and is still turned off. I can't edit the permissions to give
CREATOR OWNER full controll either, I click apply and it goes through the
procedures and then Full control is unselected again, I have no idea what to
do to get these changes to stick, PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME?

Thank you.
Rock

Re: Can't take Read-only off of folder.
"Corey9212" wrote
>I am trying to take Read-only off of a folder and all sub files and folders
> in the Properties area I deselect Read-only (I don't even know why it was
> set
> to that to begin with) and click Apply then select Apply changes to this
> folder, subfolders and files and click ok. It goes through the process of
> making those changes and I click to close properties, but when I go back
> into
> properties the #$% folder is marked as Read-only again I could do this a
> million times and get the same results. UAC was turned off when the
> program
> was installed and is still turned off. I can't edit the permissions to
> give
> CREATOR OWNER full controll either, I click apply and it goes through the
> procedures and then Full control is unselected again, I have no idea what
> do to get these changes to stick, PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME?

The read only attribute on a folder doesn't mean anything. Why are you
trying to change that? It's actually in an indeterminate state. The
folders are open for reading.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rock

Re: Can't take Read-only off of folder.
"Corey9212" wrote
>I am trying to take Read-only off of a folder and all sub files and folders
> in the Properties area I deselect Read-only (I don't even know why it was
> set
> to that to begin with) and click Apply then select Apply changes to this
> folder, subfolders and files and click ok. It goes through the process of
> making those changes and I click to close properties, but when I go back
> into
> properties the #$% folder is marked as Read-only again I could do this a
> million times and get the same results. UAC was turned off when the
> program
> was installed and is still turned off. I can't edit the permissions to
> give
> CREATOR OWNER full controll either, I click apply and it goes through the
> procedures and then Full control is unselected again, I have no idea what
> do to get these changes to stick, PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME?
>
> Thank you.

Is this because you are trying to access some folders but getting an access
denied message?

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Corey9212

"Rock" wrote:

> The read only attribute on a folder doesn't mean anything. Why are you
> trying to change that? It's actually in an indeterminate state. The
> folders are open for reading.
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Because I need to edit some of the files inside that folder and for some
reason it's not letting me save the changes to the file after I edit it.
Rock

Re: Can't take Read-only off of folder.
"Corey9212" wrote
> "Rock" wrote:
>
>> The read only attribute on a folder doesn't mean anything. Why are you
>> trying to change that? It's actually in an indeterminate state. The
>> folders are open for reading.

> Because I need to edit some of the files inside that folder and for some
> reason it's not letting me save the changes to the file after I edit it.

The problem doesn't have anything to do with what appears to be the read
only setting on the folder as seen on the Properties sheet. It's actually
in an indeterminate state. The same was the case in XP.

What is the folder? Are these user files? Have you checked the permissions
on that file? From Start | Help and Support search on permissions and look
at the "What are permissions link".

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Corey9212

"Rock" wrote:

> Is this because you are trying to access some folders but getting an access
> denied message?
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

No, I can access the folders and files even add more folders and files to
it, but I can't edit a file that was in the folder to begin with. I tried
moving the folder to a new location to edit it then move it back to the
original folder, but it still won't let me save the changes.
Rock

Re: Can't take Read-only off of folder.
"Corey9212" wrote

> "Rock" wrote:
>

>> Is this because you are trying to access some folders but getting an
>> access
>> denied message?
>>
>> --
>> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]
>>

> No, I can access the folders and files even add more folders and files to
> it, but I can't edit a file that was in the folder to begin with. I tried
> moving the folder to a new location to edit it then move it back to the
> original folder, but it still won't let me save the changes.

But did you look at the permissions on that file?

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Corey9212

"Rock" wrote:

> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

It is the Microsoft Train Simulator folder. All permissions are set to Full
except for CREATOR OWNER that one doesn't have any permissions cause it won't
let me chane the permissions to Allow it any controll. But I can change all
the other permissions.
Corey9212

"Rock" wrote:

> "Corey9212" wrote
> >
> > "Rock" wrote:
> >

> >> Is this because you are trying to access some folders but getting an
> >> access
> >> denied message?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

> But did you look at the permissions on that file?
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

yes, it is set so everthing except owner creator has full permission.
Rock

Re: Can't take Read-only off of folder.
"Corey9212" wrote
> "Rock" wrote:
>
>> --
>> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]
>>

> It is the Microsoft Train Simulator folder. All permissions are set to
> Full
> except for CREATOR OWNER that one doesn't have any permissions cause it
> won't
> let me chane the permissions to Allow it any controll. But I can change
> all
> the other permissions.

Since this is an MS game you might want to post to the
microsoft.public.windows.vista.games newsgroup. Sorry I don't have any
other suggestions.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]