UAC turned itself back on?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

PTravel

UAC turned itself back on?
Long ago, I disabled UAC -- it's intrusive and, the way I use my machine,
unnecessary. This morning, it suddenly made a reappearance. Though I
installed some third-party software and hardware last night (OmniPage Pro 15
and a Visioneer Roadwarrior scanner), nothing should have effected system
settings like UAC. Any idea why UAC decided to spontaneously assert
itself?

Michal Bucko

Re: UAC turned itself back on?
Actually, that's very interesting. Could you provide more information?
What application have you installed before it happened?etc.

--
Michal Bucko
sapheal.hack.pl
ptravel@travelersvideo.com

Re: UAC turned itself back on?
On May 29, 11:01 am, "Michal Bucko" <saph...@hack.pl> wrote:
> Actually, that's very interesting. Could you provide more information?
> What application have you installed before it happened?etc.
>
> --
> Michal Bucko
> sapheal.hack.pl

I appreciate your response, but I identified the application (and
hardware) that I installed before it happened in the original message.

Jon

Re: UAC turned itself back on?

<ptravel@travelersvideo.com> wrote in message
news:1180464858.244020.199350@q66g2000hsg.googlegr oups.com...
> On May 29, 11:01 am, "Michal Bucko" <saph...@hack.pl> wrote:
>> Actually, that's very interesting. Could you provide more information?
>> What application have you installed before it happened?etc.
>>
>> --
>> Michal Bucko
>> sapheal.hack.pl

> I appreciate your response, but I identified the application (and
> hardware) that I installed before it happened in the original message.

The thing to remember is that an installer can do what it likes with your
system, including turning UAC on or off.

--
Jon

PTravel

Re: UAC turned itself back on?

"Jon" <Email_Address@SomewhereOrOther.com> wrote in message

> <ptravel@travelersvideo.com> wrote in message
> news:1180464858.244020.199350@q66g2000hsg.googlegr oups.com...
>> On May 29, 11:01 am, "Michal Bucko" <saph...@hack.pl> wrote:
>>> Actually, that's very interesting. Could you provide more information?
>>> What application have you installed before it happened?etc.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Michal Bucko
>>> sapheal.hack.pl

>> I appreciate your response, but I identified the application (and
>> hardware) that I installed before it happened in the original message.
>>

> The thing to remember is that an installer can do what it likes with your
> system, including turning UAC on or off.

Sure, but it seems highly unlikely that OmniPro (an OCR program) would turn
UAC on.

> --
> Jon

Mac

Re: UAC turned itself back on?
Highly unlikely doesn't equal zero probability. Check with OmniPro? Try an
uninstall/ install cycle to check?

"PTravel" <ptravel@travelersvideo.com> wrote in message

> "Jon" <Email_Address@SomewhereOrOther.com> wrote in message
>>
>> <ptravel@travelersvideo.com> wrote in message
>> news:1180464858.244020.199350@q66g2000hsg.googlegr oups.com...

>>> I appreciate your response, but I identified the application (and
>>> hardware) that I installed before it happened in the original message.
>>>

>> The thing to remember is that an installer can do what it likes with your
>> system, including turning UAC on or off.

> Sure, but it seems highly unlikely that OmniPro (an OCR program) would
> turn UAC on.
>

>> --
>> Jon

PTravel

Re: UAC turned itself back on?

"Mac" <mac@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Highly unlikely doesn't equal zero probability. Check with OmniPro? Try an
> uninstall/ install cycle to check?

It's also possible that a stray gamma ray went through the CPU at just the
right moment to flip a bit and turn on UAC. However, the probability is
extremely low, as is the probability that an established OCR program that
has nothing to do with system services would turn on UAC. Given the number
of system related problems that are the result of Microsoft's
short-sightedness in designing Vista, I will suspect the OS long before I
suspect OmniPro. Ocam's razor.

As for an install/uninstall cycle, I simply don't have the time to trouble
shot this paticular bug, which is why I posted here -- I was curious if
anyone else had experienced this.

Evidently not.