Unable to open .exe file

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

winattack

Unable to open .exe file
Hi...I just upgraded (or downgraded, not sure of that yet) to Vista
Ultimate. My system is an old Dell Dimension 8200 with 1.2 Gb of Ram, since
its an older system some of the hardware has compatibility issues, like my
SoundBlaster Live that it's no longer supported for Creative to Vista.
Anyway, looking around I found 3rd party drivers that will make my SB card
to work again (I know that, because they already made my card work on my
system, before I formated and reinstalled Vista again (I'm a techie, so I
like to have my system as clean as possible when I upgrade to a new OS).

There is only one account on my computer: Mine and since I am the only
person that used my computer I left no password, and of course it has
Administrative priviledges. But weird things happened after I install all
the critical updates windows update was asking for: When I am using IE7 to
download the file, the file is downloaded, but it asks me for Administrative
priviledges to copy to my desktop, I click in Continue and the UAC opens
asks me if it is ok to copy that file to the Desktop, I select Continue
also, but later I receive a message that says: You need Administrative
permission to continue and then click on Try Again and then became a silly
circle in which I am unable to copy the file to the desktop even if I am the
Administrator of my computer.

I got tired of that and installed Firefox and with it I could d/l the file
to the desktop, but when I click of the file to run it I receive this
message: Windows cannot find specified device, path or file.You may not have
the appropriate permissions to access the item.

That's simply plain wrong, since I am the only user in my computer with
Admin account. And now the icon of the exe file for the drivers has the
Security Center icon also, but I am unable what to do to run that file since
I am unable to do so in my own computer.

The weirdest thing is that I can download and execute another exe files
without any problems, eventhougth their icons also have the Security Center
4 color shield icon.

I wouldn't like to remove UAC, though I am eager for that, because I want to
find out what it's its use.

Thanks for your help

Larry Maturo

Re: Unable to open .exe file
Even when you are an administrator, you don't have full
admin priveleges on Vista. Try right-clicking the file, and
select "Run as Administrator", which will give you full admin
priveleges for running that exe/msi.

By the way, the UAC's use to is prevent anyone/anything
from installing something on your system without you being
aware of it. I actually bought a program for XP that did, but
was less user friendly than the UAC.

-- Larry Maturo

"winattack" <winattack@iteso.eu> wrote in message
> Hi...I just upgraded (or downgraded, not sure of that yet) to Vista
> Ultimate. My system is an old Dell Dimension 8200 with 1.2 Gb of Ram,
> since its an older system some of the hardware has compatibility issues,
> like my SoundBlaster Live that it's no longer supported for Creative to
> Vista. Anyway, looking around I found 3rd party drivers that will make my
> SB card to work again (I know that, because they already made my card work
> on my system, before I formated and reinstalled Vista again (I'm a techie,
> so I like to have my system as clean as possible when I upgrade to a new
> OS).
>
> There is only one account on my computer: Mine and since I am the only
> person that used my computer I left no password, and of course it has
> Administrative priviledges. But weird things happened after I install all
> the critical updates windows update was asking for: When I am using IE7 to
> download the file, the file is downloaded, but it asks me for
> Administrative priviledges to copy to my desktop, I click in Continue and
> the UAC opens asks me if it is ok to copy that file to the Desktop, I
> select Continue also, but later I receive a message that says: You need
> Administrative permission to continue and then click on Try Again and then
> became a silly circle in which I am unable to copy the file to the desktop
> even if I am the Administrator of my computer.
>
> I got tired of that and installed Firefox and with it I could d/l the file
> to the desktop, but when I click of the file to run it I receive this
> message: Windows cannot find specified device, path or file.You may not
> have the appropriate permissions to access the item.
>
> That's simply plain wrong, since I am the only user in my computer with
> Admin account. And now the icon of the exe file for the drivers has the
> Security Center icon also, but I am unable what to do to run that file
> since I am unable to do so in my own computer.
>
> The weirdest thing is that I can download and execute another exe files
> without any problems, eventhougth their icons also have the Security
> Center 4 color shield icon.
>
> I wouldn't like to remove UAC, though I am eager for that, because I want
> to find out what it's its use.
>
> Thanks for your help

winattack

Re: Unable to open .exe file
that's the weirdest thing: I did that (right-click on it, select Run as
Administrator, but still receive that error message that says: Windows
cannot find specified device, path or file.You may not
have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

I want to think this is happen for a reason not because it is a bug.

"Larry Maturo" <lmaturo@imceda.com> wrote in message
> Even when you are an administrator, you don't have full
> admin priveleges on Vista. Try right-clicking the file, and
> select "Run as Administrator", which will give you full admin
> priveleges for running that exe/msi.
>
> By the way, the UAC's use to is prevent anyone/anything
> from installing something on your system without you being
> aware of it. I actually bought a program for XP that did, but
> was less user friendly than the UAC.
>
> -- Larry Maturo
>
> "winattack" <winattack@iteso.eu> wrote in message
>> Hi...I just upgraded (or downgraded, not sure of that yet) to Vista
>> Ultimate. My system is an old Dell Dimension 8200 with 1.2 Gb of Ram,
>> since its an older system some of the hardware has compatibility issues,
>> like my SoundBlaster Live that it's no longer supported for Creative to
>> Vista. Anyway, looking around I found 3rd party drivers that will make my
>> SB card to work again (I know that, because they already made my card
>> work on my system, before I formated and reinstalled Vista again (I'm a
>> techie, so I like to have my system as clean as possible when I upgrade
>> to a new OS).
>>
>> There is only one account on my computer: Mine and since I am the only
>> person that used my computer I left no password, and of course it has
>> Administrative priviledges. But weird things happened after I install all
>> the critical updates windows update was asking for: When I am using IE7
>> to download the file, the file is downloaded, but it asks me for
>> Administrative priviledges to copy to my desktop, I click in Continue and
>> the UAC opens asks me if it is ok to copy that file to the Desktop, I
>> select Continue also, but later I receive a message that says: You need
>> Administrative permission to continue and then click on Try Again and
>> then became a silly circle in which I am unable to copy the file to the
>> desktop even if I am the Administrator of my computer.
>>
>> I got tired of that and installed Firefox and with it I could d/l the
>> file to the desktop, but when I click of the file to run it I receive
>> not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.
>>
>> That's simply plain wrong, since I am the only user in my computer with
>> Admin account. And now the icon of the exe file for the drivers has the
>> Security Center icon also, but I am unable what to do to run that file
>> since I am unable to do so in my own computer.
>>
>> The weirdest thing is that I can download and execute another exe files
>> without any problems, eventhougth their icons also have the Security
>> Center 4 color shield icon.
>>
>> I wouldn't like to remove UAC, though I am eager for that, because I want
>> to find out what it's its use.
>>
>> Thanks for your help

Lang Murphy

Re: Unable to open .exe file
"winattack" <winattack@iteso.eu> wrote in message
> Hi...I just upgraded (or downgraded, not sure of that yet) to Vista
> Ultimate. My system is an old Dell Dimension 8200 with 1.2 Gb of Ram,
> since its an older system some of the hardware has compatibility issues,
> like my SoundBlaster Live that it's no longer supported for Creative to
> Vista. Anyway, looking around I found 3rd party drivers that will make my
> SB card to work again (I know that, because they already made my card work
> on my system, before I formated and reinstalled Vista again (I'm a techie,
> so I like to have my system as clean as possible when I upgrade to a new
> OS).
>
> There is only one account on my computer: Mine and since I am the only
> person that used my computer I left no password, and of course it has
> Administrative priviledges. But weird things happened after I install all
> the critical updates windows update was asking for: When I am using IE7 to
> download the file, the file is downloaded, but it asks me for
> Administrative priviledges to copy to my desktop, I click in Continue and
> the UAC opens asks me if it is ok to copy that file to the Desktop, I
> select Continue also, but later I receive a message that says: You need
> Administrative permission to continue and then click on Try Again and then
> became a silly circle in which I am unable to copy the file to the desktop
> even if I am the Administrator of my computer.
>
> I got tired of that and installed Firefox and with it I could d/l the file
> to the desktop, but when I click of the file to run it I receive this
> message: Windows cannot find specified device, path or file.You may not
> have the appropriate permissions to access the item.
>
> That's simply plain wrong, since I am the only user in my computer with
> Admin account. And now the icon of the exe file for the drivers has the
> Security Center icon also, but I am unable what to do to run that file
> since I am unable to do so in my own computer.
>
> The weirdest thing is that I can download and execute another exe files
> without any problems, eventhougth their icons also have the Security
> Center 4 color shield icon.
>
> I wouldn't like to remove UAC, though I am eager for that, because I want
> to find out what it's its use.
>
> Thanks for your help

Try D/L'ing to your download folder. I've seen some weird stuff with files
on the desktop... good luck.

Lang

winattack

Re: Unable to open .exe file
Funny...I just d/l in my download folder and it worked ok.

Thanks

"Lang Murphy" <lang_murphy@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Try D/L'ing to your download folder. I've seen some weird stuff with files
> on the desktop... good luck.
>
> Lang

Lang Murphy

Re: Unable to open .exe file
> Funny...I just d/l in my download folder and it worked ok.
>
> Thanks
>
> "Lang Murphy" <lang_murphy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Try D/L'ing to your download folder. I've seen some weird stuff with
>> files on the desktop... good luck.
>>
>> Lang

No problem; glad it worked.

Lang

ScottGurvey

Re: Unable to open .exe file

Hi, I am curious about your experience with Vista on the 8200. I have
been trying to do the install, both a clean one and then an update, and
it keeps failing at the final stage with a blue stop error screen saying
a device driver is in an endless loop. It does not say which driver! I
also have a SB Live, plus a Happauge TV tuner and an Adaptech USB
2.0/Fire-Wire expander. I replaced the origianl NVida graphics with an
ATI which is supposed to be Aero compatable. Can you tell me what your
full system configuration looks like? Thanks.

--
ScottGurvey
ScottGurvey's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=26350

http://forums.techarena.in