Live One Care

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

J. Resperger

Live One Care
Hi!
I am using Live One Care on my Vista-Laptop. Every now and then it tells me
that
"I have to do some action". That is inappropriate, as this is my computer
and I may decide if I want to do anything, but I am not as slave of microsoft
so that "I have to do something!"
Please respect, that your customers have paid for their computer and the
software and if they want - they can do anything with this device whatever
they choose by themselves!
Regards
Josef Resperger

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...sta.sec urity
WBurchnall

Re: Live One Care

I can understand where you are coming from Josef and could see how the
words 'have to' might seem demanding. As if you are being commanded to
do something by Microsoft.

Of course, the choice is always yours and you could switch to a
different anti-virus package/software if you feel the wording is too
strong.

I personally feel the wording is a necessity. I think that if it were
worded too softly, it would fail to get the urgency across to some
customers

For example:
Sir, I don't mean to umm trouble you but if you have some free time,
anytime, not really necessary now, but you know just some like time in
the future. Even just a couple of minutes, there are some steps that if
its ok, could I please have you consider doing? pretty please? Thanks.
Your pal, windows live one care.

People would be like 'Yeah right, I'll put it off to 6 weeks from now.
Its optional. Not something I 'have' to do.' In the meantime, their
computer falls pray to the security issue live one care was suggesting
they do something about

--
WBurchnall
Neil Harley

Re: Live One Care
J. Resperger wrote:
> Hi!
> I am using Live One Care on my Vista-Laptop. Every now and then it tells me
> that
> "I have to do some action". That is inappropriate, as this is my computer
> and I may decide if I want to do anything, but I am not as slave of microsoft
> so that "I have to do something!"
> Please respect, that your customers have paid for their computer and the
> software and if they want - they can do anything with this device whatever
> they choose by themselves!

What you say is true in one respect. It is your computer but a lot of
people are clueless when it comes to running computers and they need to
have their hands held. One Care is going to be used by a wide range of
people and imo a standard message had to be displayed which was simple
enough for everyone to understand. Microsoft cannot win for trying in
some cases and I think it's the age old saying of "you can't please all
the people all the time".

If a message is the only problem I suggest you ignore it and move on.
StephenB

Re: Live One Care
J. Resperger <JResperger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi!
>I am using Live One Care on my Vista-Laptop. Every now and then it tells me
>that
>"I have to do some action". That is inappropriate, as this is my computer
>and I may decide if I want to do anything, but I am not as slave of microsoft
>so that "I have to do something!"
>Please respect, that your customers have paid for their computer and the
>software and if they want - they can do anything with this device whatever
>they choose by themselves!
>Regards
>Josef Resperger

Intersting feedback, thanks.
There is a web forum dedicated to OneCare discussions:
http://forums.microsoft.com/windowso....aspx?siteid=2
-steve
--
Stephen Boots
MVP Windows Live
Tony Linguini

Re: Live One Care
I WANT 64 BIT ONE-CARE!
"StephenB" <sboots@mvps.org> wrote in message
> J. Resperger <JResperger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi!
>>I am using Live One Care on my Vista-Laptop. Every now and then it tells
>>me
>>that
>>"I have to do some action". That is inappropriate, as this is my computer
>>and I may decide if I want to do anything, but I am not as slave of
>>microsoft
>>so that "I have to do something!"
>>Please respect, that your customers have paid for their computer and the
>>software and if they want - they can do anything with this device whatever
>>they choose by themselves!
>>Regards
>>Josef Resperger

> Intersting feedback, thanks.
> There is a web forum dedicated to OneCare discussions:
> http://forums.microsoft.com/windowso....aspx?siteid=2
> -steve
> --
> Stephen Boots
> MVP Windows Live
> Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
> sboots@mvps.org

Davcal

Re: Live One Care
Tony... That's exactly why I terminated all of my "Live Onecare" s
Way too intrusive, and always in your face.
Seems to me these days, MS is doing a pretty good job of alienating a
lot of customers...

"Tony Linguini" <pccarguy@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I WANT 64 BIT ONE-CARE!
> "StephenB" <sboots@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> J. Resperger <JResperger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi!
>>>I am using Live One Care on my Vista-Laptop. Every now and then it tells
>>>me
>>>that
>>>"I have to do some action". That is inappropriate, as this is my computer
>>>and I may decide if I want to do anything, but I am not as slave of
>>>microsoft
>>>so that "I have to do something!"
>>>Please respect, that your customers have paid for their computer and the
>>>software and if they want - they can do anything with this device
>>>whatever
>>>they choose by themselves!
>>>Regards
>>>Josef Resperger

>> Intersting feedback, thanks.
>> There is a web forum dedicated to OneCare discussions:
>> http://forums.microsoft.com/windowso....aspx?siteid=2
>> -steve
>> --
>> Stephen Boots
>> MVP Windows Live
>> Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
>> sboots@mvps.org

KathyH360

Re: Live One Care
I was abruptly told that the discussion group for Windows Live One-Care was
only for XP users and not for Vista owners. Are you sure this is not an XP
Only discussion forum?
--
KathyH360

"StephenB" wrote:

> J. Resperger <JResperger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi!
> >I am using Live One Care on my Vista-Laptop. Every now and then it tells me
> >that
> >"I have to do some action". That is inappropriate, as this is my computer
> >and I may decide if I want to do anything, but I am not as slave of microsoft
> >so that "I have to do something!"
> >Please respect, that your customers have paid for their computer and the
> >software and if they want - they can do anything with this device whatever
> >they choose by themselves!
> >Regards
> >Josef Resperger

> Intersting feedback, thanks.
> There is a web forum dedicated to OneCare discussions:
> http://forums.microsoft.com/windowso....aspx?siteid=2
> -steve
> --
> Stephen Boots
> MVP Windows Live
> Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
> sboots@mvps.org

StephenB

Re: Live One Care
KathyH360 <KathyH360@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I was abruptly told that the discussion group for Windows Live One-Care was
>only for XP users and not for Vista owners. Are you sure this is not an XP
>Only discussion forum?

The forum for Windows Live OneCare is for all discussion of Windows Live
OneCare-
http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsO...ID=28&SiteID=2

OneCare 1.6 is supported on XP SP2 and Vista (32 bit versions only)
OneCare 2.0 Beta is supported on the above as well as Vista 64 bit.

-steve
--
Stephen Boots
MVP Windows Live
Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
sboots@mvps.org
Cal Bear '66

Re: Live One Care
I would ignore any smart-ass that told you the OneCare discussion group is for
XP users only.

I also have OneCare on Vista x86, and I also get pop-ups reminding me to back up
and to turn on automatic updates, but I just ignore them and do not think they
are overly intrusive and objectionable. I consider them FRIENDLY reminders. I
am fully confident that I own and control my computer.

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!