Free but excellent malware protection

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Paul H

Free but excellent malware protection
I use Avast and AdAware on my XP netbook, my wife's Vista laptop and my W7
notebook. PC Mag and PCworld give Avast top ratings. No mention of
AdAware, although last year PC Mag said both were top picks. Both mags give
Microsoft Security Essentials mediocre ratings.

Consumer Reports gives Microsoft Security Essentials thumbs up, but what do
they know compared to PC Mag or PCworld.

I would like to have real-time mal-ware protection - not have to run AdAware
frequently (a very slow process), and do the update 1st. Is there a better
free alternative?

TIA, Paul

Fuzzy Logic

Re: Free but excellent malware protection
"Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote in

> I use Avast and AdAware on my XP netbook, my wife's Vista laptop and my
> W7 notebook. PC Mag and PCworld give Avast top ratings. No mention of
> AdAware, although last year PC Mag said both were top picks. Both mags
> give Microsoft Security Essentials mediocre ratings.
>
> Consumer Reports gives Microsoft Security Essentials thumbs up, but what
> do they know compared to PC Mag or PCworld.
>
> I would like to have real-time mal-ware protection - not have to run
> AdAware frequently (a very slow process), and do the update 1st. Is
> there a better free alternative?

MSSE is rated the 'best' free product here:

http://lifehacker.com/5433229/micros...free-antivirus

I have been running it on XP and Vista since it came out of beta and I am generally happy with it.
Americano

Re: Free but excellent malware protection

Malwarebytes is a good altrnative for Adaware.

--
Americano

TRYING THE SAME THING OVER, AND EXPECTING A DIFFERENT RESULT = INSANITY
http://www.vistax64.com/images/style...reputation.gif
-*don't forget to say thanks, tip my scales!*-
Paul H

Re: Free but excellent malware protection
I downloaded and installed Malwarebytes. It found zero problems. Then I
ran my AdAware and it found 22 bad somethings. Hmmmm...

"Americano" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Malwarebytes is a good altrnative for Adaware.
>

> --
> Americano
>
> TRYING THE SAME THING OVER, AND EXPECTING A DIFFERENT RESULT = INSANITY
> http://www.vistax64.com/images/style...reputation.gif
> -*don't forget to say thanks, tip my scales!*-

Hank Arnold

Re: Free but excellent malware protection
Yeah, but what did it find? A lot of what AdAware finds are tracking
cookies. Hardly malware.

Regards,
Hank Arnold
Microsoft MVP
Windows Server - Directory Services
http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/personal-pc-assistant/

On 5/7/2010 12:41 AM, Paul H wrote:
> I downloaded and installed Malwarebytes. It found zero problems. Then
> I ran my AdAware and it found 22 bad somethings. Hmmmm...
>
> "Americano" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Malwarebytes is a good altrnative for Adaware.
>>

>> --
>> Americano
>>
>> TRYING THE SAME THING OVER, AND EXPECTING A DIFFERENT RESULT = INSANITY
>> http://www.vistax64.com/images/style...reputation.gif
>> -*don't forget to say thanks, tip my scales!*-

FromTheRafters

Re: Free but excellent malware protection
"Americano" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Malwarebytes is a good altrnative for Adaware.

Malwarebytes doesn't do viruses, at least not yet.

Americano

Re: Free but excellent malware protection

For Malware problems, check out this tutorial:

'Ultimate Malware Removal Guide -- Purge Your PC of Junk Files! |
Maximum PC'
(http://www.maximumpc.com/article/how...c_junk_ files)

--
Americano

TRYING THE SAME THING OVER, AND EXPECTING A DIFFERENT RESULT = INSANITY
http://www.vistax64.com/images/style...reputation.gif
-*don't forget to say thanks, tip my scales!*-
Paul H

Re: Free but excellent malware protection
Will tracking cookies hurt me? Cause me to get a lot of targeted email
advertising?

"Hank Arnold" <rasilon@aol.com> wrote in message
> Yeah, but what did it find? A lot of what AdAware finds are tracking
> cookies. Hardly malware.
>

> Regards,
> Hank Arnold
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Server - Directory Services
> http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/personal-pc-assistant/
>
> On 5/7/2010 12:41 AM, Paul H wrote:
>> I downloaded and installed Malwarebytes. It found zero problems. Then
>> I ran my AdAware and it found 22 bad somethings. Hmmmm...
>>
>> "Americano" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Malwarebytes is a good altrnative for Adaware.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Americano
>>>
>>> TRYING THE SAME THING OVER, AND EXPECTING A DIFFERENT RESULT = INSANITY
>>> http://www.vistax64.com/images/style...reputation.gif
>>> -*don't forget to say thanks, tip my scales!*-

Bob

Re: Free but excellent malware protection
WinPatrol
http://www.winpatrol.com/media.html