Urgent, can't access after the login (black screen of death)

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Javier

Urgent, can't access after the login (black screen of death)
I have a Toshiba with Windows Vista Home Premiun and after I enter the Login
Screen, I put the password fine, but later only the cursor and a black screen
is show.

If I enter the ALT+CTRL+DEL the menu buttons is show and I can access the
Task Manager but I can't know what to do.

Is very urgent to solve this issue.

Regards,

Javier
Ǝиçεl

RE: Urgent, can't access after the login (black screen of death)
Hello Javier,

Using Last Known Good Configuration

<http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-us/help/cdb4c0dd-5698-4197-b906-d6a6d413621d1033.mspx>
-=-

Ǝиçεl
-=-
"Javier" wrote:

> I have a Toshiba with Windows Vista Home Premiun and after I enter the Login
> Screen, I put the password fine, but later only the cursor and a black screen
> is show.
>
> If I enter the ALT+CTRL+DEL the menu buttons is show and I can access the
> Task Manager but I can't know what to do.
>
> Is very urgent to solve this issue.
>
> Regards,
>
> Javier

MowGreen

Re: Urgent, can't access after the login (black screen of death)
When Task Manager is open click the Services tab.
Now scroll down to the Windows Event Log service and *right* click on
it, choose Properties.
For Startup type:, set it to Disabled, agree to any UAC prompt that
appears, then click Apply, then OK.
Close the Services console, close Task Manager and restart the system to
normal Windows mode.

Did that bring a functioning Desktop back ?
If yes, then one of the Events that is being logged is most likely
corrupted. You can try to Start the Windows Event log service once the
system is in normal Windows mode and then open the Computer Management
console by *right* clicking on Computer, either on the Desktop or Start
Menu, and choosing Manage, agree to the UAC prompt.
Under System Tools open Event Viewer > Windows Logs.
Try to open the System, Setup, Security, and Application until you find
which one has become corrupted. * The system may crash or behave very
slowly when you do this so be ready for it. *
When you find the log that is corrupted, close Computer Management.

Locate the corrupted log ( *.evtx ), which will be located in
Windows\System32\winevt\Logs
and delete it. The Windows Event log service *must* be stopped in order
to delete any of the Event logs.

Restart and then set the Windows Event log service to Automatic for
Startup type once the corrupted log is no longer present.
Vista will automatically create a new one.

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

Javier wrote:
> I have a Toshiba with Windows Vista Home Premiun and after I enter the Login
> Screen, I put the password fine, but later only the cursor and a black screen
> is show.
>
> If I enter the ALT+CTRL+DEL the menu buttons is show and I can access the
> Task Manager but I can't know what to do.
>
> Is very urgent to solve this issue.
>
> Regards,
>
> Javier

MowGreen

MowGreen wrote:
> When Task Manager is open click the Services tab.

Sorry, I omitted this step right after the above.

" When Task Manager is open click the Services tab. "

On the Services page, click the Services *button* to access the Services
console. DOH !

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten