In Big Trouble Vista Home 32 Bit

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Red Wimp

In Big Trouble Vista Home 32 Bit
The symptom of my problem is Vista is telling me that my firewall is not
running, but it won't start manually. Also doesn't connect to the internet
(I'm using a borrowed machine here)
I can see that BFE is not running and that won't start either, says a file
is missing.
I have tried a system restore to several different points, after quite a few
minutes tells me this has failed and the problem is still there. Tried the
sfc which said it fixed some files but could not fix all, wasn't obvious to
me from the log what it couldn't fix.
In desperation have backed everything up I can find and tried to reinstall
(I have a Dell installation disc so no option to repair)
This got to the first reboot on expanding files (27%) and then failed and
restored back to the original configuration.
As you can see I seem to be in big troubles, (started after a Windows Update
this morning as far as I can tell, was alright before that)
Any advice anyone can offer will be gratefully received

whs

Re: In Big Trouble Vista Home 32 Bit

Backout the updates from this morning.

--
whs
Red Wimp

Re: In Big Trouble Vista Home 32 Bit
Done that, no difference.
Repair keeps repairing the same files it seems

At the moment only solution I can think is to upgrade Windows

"whs" wrote:

> Backout the updates from this morning.
>

> --
> whs
> .

Dave-UK

"Red Wimp" <Red Wimp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The symptom of my problem is Vista is telling me that my firewall is not
> running, but it won't start manually. Also doesn't connect to the internet
> (I'm using a borrowed machine here)
> I can see that BFE is not running and that won't start either, says a file
> is missing.
> I have tried a system restore to several different points, after quite a few
> minutes tells me this has failed and the problem is still there. Tried the
> sfc which said it fixed some files but could not fix all, wasn't obvious to
> me from the log what it couldn't fix.
> In desperation have backed everything up I can find and tried to reinstall
> (I have a Dell installation disc so no option to repair)
> This got to the first reboot on expanding files (27%) and then failed and
> restored back to the original configuration.
> As you can see I seem to be in big troubles, (started after a Windows Update
> this morning as far as I can tell, was alright before that)
> Any advice anyone can offer will be gratefully received

What's BFE ?
Try a system restore from safe mode.

Peter Foldes

Re: In Big Trouble Vista Home 32 Bit
Which Update was it that you downloaded and installed? Event Viewer is saying
exactly concerning the error. Have you tried to uninstall the Update and see if the
OS returns to work Correctly. Do you have Norton or MacAfee installed and was it on
when you were downloading and installing the Update

--
Peter

> Done that, no difference.
> Repair keeps repairing the same files it seems
>
> At the moment only solution I can think is to upgrade Windows
>
> "whs" wrote:
>

>> Backout the updates from this morning.
>>

>> --
>> whs
>> .

Peter Foldes

Re: In Big Trouble Vista Home 32 Bit
Dave

Why is your solution always to do a System Restore. If you have no idea or inkling
about an issue then you revert to System Restore even if not needed. Sheesh

--
Peter

news:WN6dnU2kuZT7kFrWnZ2dnUVZ8i2dnZ2d@giganews.com ...

"Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eHnryDK3KHA.5212@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...

> Dave
>
> Why is your solution always to do a System Restore. If you have no idea or inkling
> about an issue then you revert to System Restore even if not needed. Sheesh
>
> --
> Peter

My solution isn't to always do a system restore.
The OP stated he tried and failed to do a system restore.
I gave him a suggestion that may enable him to complete a system restore.