Anti-Virus Scan

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

JamesJ

Anti-Virus Scan
vista basic 32 bit sp2

When doing a scan for malware with any anti-malware/anti-virus software,
does it matter whether I do the scan in safe mode or in normal mode??

Thanks,
James
FromTheRafters

Re: Anti-Virus Scan
"JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunner.com> wrote in message
> vista basic 32 bit sp2
>
> When doing a scan for malware with any anti-malware/anti-virus
> software,
> does it matter whether I do the scan in safe mode or in normal mode??

Yes for some antimalware scanners. Some *require* normal mode for the
best results. Others hope that safe mode has an inactive installation
that they can address from there. Antivirus (specifically, file content
scanners) don't care one way or the other - active malware can hide from
scanners, so safe mode has its advantages there. Context scanners sort
of look for evidence of malware installation (infestation) - you have to
be malware infested in order for that evidence to be there.

Some things that scanners scan for might be rootkits. A rookit is very
hard to detect if it is not active (most rootkit detectors look for
"rootkit activity" - which means it must be active). Some rootkits hide
from detectors by detecting the detector and ceasing their "rootkit
activity" while they are being looked at.

JamesJ

Re: Anti-Virus Scan
Got it.

Thanks,