Firewall

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Member

anon_private is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Firewall
Hi,

Is it possible to interrogate the firewall?

Can it be configured?

Thanks.

Vista 32 bit Home Premium
FromTheRafters

Re: Firewall
"anon_private" <anon_private.48ss41@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote
in message news:anon_private.48ss41@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to interrogate the firewall?
>
> Can it be configured?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Vista 32 bit Home Premium

Could you rephrase the question?

Member

anon_private is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Firewall
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheRafters View Post
"anon_private" <anon_private.48ss41@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote
in message news:anon_private.48ss41@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to interrogate the firewall?
>
> Can it be configured?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Vista 32 bit Home Premium

Could you rephrase the question?
Can I view th details regarding the firewall.

Can the details be edited.

Can I learn more about the firewall

Can the firewall be controlled.
Ǝиçεl

Re: Firewall

Firewalls FAQ
<http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/firewall.mspx>

Exploring The Windows Firewall.
<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2007/06/VistaFirewall/default.aspx>

Managing the Windows Vista Firewall
<http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc510323.aspx>
*(read twice!)*

The New Windows Firewall in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

Good luck

"anon_private" wrote:

> FromTheRafters;1671918 Wrote:
> > "anon_private" <anon_private.48ss41@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote
> > in message news:anon_private.48ss41@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Is it possible to interrogate the firewall?
> > >
> > > Can it be configured?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Vista 32 bit Home Premium

> > Could you rephrase the question?

> Can I view th details regarding the firewall.
>
> Can the details be edited.
>
> Can I learn more about the firewall
>
> Can the firewall be controlled.
>

> --
> anon_private
>
> .

Ǝиçεl

Re: Firewall
I quote Bruce Chambers--a regular contributor here:

There are two interfaces for Vistas built-in firewall:

1) A simplified one accessed through the Control Panel that is the only
one most people see. To further supplement this view, Sphinx's Vista
Firewall Control <http://sphinx-soft.com/Vista/>) is a piece of freeware
that makes the Vista Firewall much more useful to the average user.

2) And the more advanced "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security
(WF.msc), accessed via the Start Menu's Administrative Tools folder, for
the experienced user who wants more granular control
-=-

"anon_private" wrote:

> FromTheRafters;1671918 Wrote:
> > "anon_private" <anon_private.48ss41@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote
> > in message news:anon_private.48ss41@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Is it possible to interrogate the firewall?
> > >
> > > Can it be configured?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Vista 32 bit Home Premium

> > Could you rephrase the question?

> Can I view th details regarding the firewall.
>
> Can the details be edited.
>
> Can I learn more about the firewall
>
> Can the firewall be controlled.
>

> --
> anon_private
>
> .

Member

anon_private is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Firewall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ǝиçεl View Post

"anon_private" wrote:

> FromTheRafters;1671918 Wrote:
> > "anon_private" <anon_private.48ss41@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote
> > in message news:anon_private.48ss41@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Is it possible to interrogate the firewall?
> > >
> > > Can it be configured?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Vista 32 bit Home Premium

> > Could you rephrase the question?

> Can I view th details regarding the firewall.
>
> Can the details be edited.
>
> Can I learn more about the firewall
>
> Can the firewall be controlled.
>

> --
> anon_private
>
> .

Thanks for the two links via Control Panel.

Now I must search for a tutorial on the meanings of the allowed and blocked.

I noted that my printer seems to have many inward allowed optiions. I think it would stop working if these were not allowed.

Best wishes

FromTheRafters

Re: Firewall
"anon_private" <anon_private.48tjw4@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote
in message news:anon_private.48tjw4@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> FromTheRafters;1671918 Wrote:
>> "anon_private" <anon_private.48ss41@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com>
>> wrote
>> in message news:anon_private.48ss41@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Is it possible to interrogate the firewall?
>> >
>> > Can it be configured?
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> > Vista 32 bit Home Premium

>> Could you rephrase the question?

> Can I view th details regarding the firewall.
>
> Can the details be edited.
>
> Can I learn more about the firewall
>
> Can the firewall be controlled.

Engel posted excellent references. Are you trying to do things
programmatically?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366415

Member

anon_private is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Firewall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ǝиçεl View Post
Firewalls FAQ
<http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/firewall.mspx>

Exploring The Windows Firewall.
<http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/issues/2007/06/VistaFirewall/default.aspx>

Managing the Windows Vista Firewall
<http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc510323.aspx>
*(read twice!)*

The New Windows Firewall in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008
The Cable Guy - January 2006

Good luck

"anon_private" wrote:

> FromTheRafters;1671918 Wrote:
> > "anon_private" <anon_private.48ss41@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote
> > in message news:anon_private.48ss41@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Is it possible to interrogate the firewall?
> > >
> > > Can it be configured?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Vista 32 bit Home Premium

> > Could you rephrase the question?

> Can I view th details regarding the firewall.
>
> Can the details be edited.
>
> Can I learn more about the firewall
>
> Can the firewall be controlled.
>

> --