Replacing McAfee AV - Difficult Decision

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Member

anon_private is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Replacing McAfee AV - Difficult Decision
McAfee security centre is due to expire.

I want to replace it with a good free AV programme

I am looking at
AVIRA
MS Security Essentials
AVAST

I also have the following on my machine, and they will stay

Windows defender
Malwarebyttes
SuperAntispyware

Bearing in mind that these will stay

Any suggestions for the replacement of the McAfee Security Centre.

Thanks
Ǝиçεl

RE: Replacing McAfee AV - Difficult Decision
How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee consumer products using the
McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe)
<http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507>

> I also have the following on my machine, and they will stay
>
> Windows defender
> Malwarebyttes
> SuperAntispyware

Not with MSE, WD will be only disabled and the same with MBAM and SAS
Remeber only (1) antispyware running RTP
-=-

"anon_private" wrote:

> McAfee security centre is due to expire.
>
> I want to replace it with a good free AV programme
>
> I am looking at
> AVIRA
> MS Security Essentials
> AVAST
>
> I also have the following on my machine, and they will stay
>
> Windows defender
> Malwarebyttes
> SuperAntispyware
>
> Bearing in mind that these will stay
>
> Any suggestions for the replacement of the McAfee Security Centre.
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> anon_private
>
> .

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Replacing McAfee AV - Difficult Decision
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 12:49:02 +0100, anon_private
<anon_private.48l3oc@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote:

> McAfee security centre is due to expire.
>
> I want to replace it with a good free AV programme
>
> I am looking at
> AVIRA
> MS Security Essentials
> AVAST

Three good choices. You can't go terribly wrong with any of them. They
are all much better than McAfee, and I wouldn't wait for McAfee to
expire to replace it with one of these.

> I also have the following on my machine, and they will stay
>
> Windows defender
> Malwarebyttes
> SuperAntispyware

All good choices, too.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Member

anon_private is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Replacing McAfee AV - Difficult Decision
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Blake, MVP View Post
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 12:49:02 +0100, anon_private
<anon_private.48l3oc@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote:

> McAfee security centre is due to expire.
>
> I want to replace it with a good free AV programme
>
> I am looking at
> AVIRA
> MS Security Essentials
> AVAST

Three good choices. You can't go terribly wrong with any of them. They
are all much better than McAfee, and I wouldn't wait for McAfee to
expire to replace it with one of these.

> I also have the following on my machine, and they will stay
>
> Windows defender
> Malwarebyttes
> SuperAntispyware

All good choices, too.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Thanks for responding.

Evidently, MSE would replace WD, MB, and SASpy...

I wonder if I should select either AVIRA or AVAST (free versions) since I would like to keep WD, MB, and SASpy...

I am using MCAfee's firewall at present, but will revert To Vista's FW on removel of McAfee's products.

Regarding unistalling McAfee's Security Centre, I intend to use McAfee's Uninstall tool (part of the suite). Is this sufficient.

Any commments welcome.

Thanks

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Replacing McAfee AV - Difficult Decision
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 02:52:38 +0100, anon_private
<anon_private.48m6kd@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote:

> Ken Blake, MVP;1670184 Wrote:
> > On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 12:49:02 +0100, anon_private
> > <anon_private.48l3oc@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote:
> >

> > > McAfee security centre is due to expire.
> > >
> > > I want to replace it with a good free AV programme
> > >
> > > I am looking at
> > > AVIRA
> > > MS Security Essentials
> > > AVAST

> > Three good choices. You can't go terribly wrong with any of them. They
> > are all much better than McAfee, and I wouldn't wait for McAfee to
> > expire to replace it with one of these.
> >

> > > I also have the following on my machine, and they will stay
> > >
> > > Windows defender
> > > Malwarebyttes
> > > SuperAntispyware

> > All good choices, too.
> >

> > --
> > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
> > Please Reply to the Newsgroup

> Thanks for responding.

You're welcome. Glad to help.

> Evidently, MSE would replace WD, MB, and SASpy...

No. You want a single anti-virus program, but multiple anti-spyware
programs.

> I wonder if I should select either AVIRA or AVAST (free versions) since
> I would like to keep WD, MB, and SASpy...

Keep all three regardless of which anti-virus you choose.

> I am using MCAfee's firewall at present, but will revert To Vista's FW
> on removel of McAfee's products.
>
> Regarding unistalling McAfee's Security Centre, I intend to use
> McAfee's Uninstall tool (part of the suite). Is this sufficient.
>
> Any commments welcome.
>
> Thanks

> anon_private

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Member

anon_private is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Replacing McAfee AV - Difficult Decision
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Blake, MVP View Post
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 02:52:38 +0100, anon_private
<anon_private.48m6kd@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote:

> Ken Blake, MVP;1670184 Wrote:
> > On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 12:49:02 +0100, anon_private
> > <anon_private.48l3oc@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote:
> >

> > > McAfee security centre is due to expire.
> > >
> > > I want to replace it with a good free AV programme
> > >
> > > I am looking at
> > > AVIRA
> > > MS Security Essentials
> > > AVAST

> > Three good choices. You can't go terribly wrong with any of them. They
> > are all much better than McAfee, and I wouldn't wait for McAfee to
> > expire to replace it with one of these.
> >

> > > I also have the following on my machine, and they will stay
> > >
> > > Windows defender
> > > Malwarebyttes
> > > SuperAntispyware

> > All good choices, too.
> >

> > --
> > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
> > Please Reply to the Newsgroup

> Thanks for responding.

You're welcome. Glad to help.

> Evidently, MSE would replace WD, MB, and SASpy...

No. You want a single anti-virus program, but multiple anti-spyware
programs.

> I wonder if I should select either AVIRA or AVAST (free versions) since
> I would like to keep WD, MB, and SASpy...

Keep all three regardless of which anti-virus you choose.

> I am using MCAfee's firewall at present, but will revert To Vista's FW
> on removel of McAfee's products.
>
> Regarding unistalling McAfee's Security Centre, I intend to use
> McAfee's Uninstall tool (part of the suite). Is this sufficient.
>
> Any commments welcome.
>
> Thanks

> anon_private

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
I will keep all three.

Now for the difficult choice of which anti-virus programme to choose from the list of three.

Best wishes

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Replacing McAfee AV - Difficult Decision
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 12:09:43 +0100, anon_private
<anon_private.48mx05@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote:

> Ken Blake, MVP;1670362 Wrote:
> > On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 02:52:38 +0100, anon_private
> > <anon_private.48m6kd@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote:

> > They

> > > Thanks for responding.

> > You're welcome. Glad to help.
> >

> > > Evidently, MSE would replace WD, MB, and SASpy...

> > No. You want a single anti-virus program, but multiple anti-spyware
> > programs.
> >

> > > I wonder if I should select either AVIRA or AVAST (free versions)

> > since
> > > I would like to keep WD, MB, and SASpy...

> > Keep all three regardless of which anti-virus you choose.
> >

> > > I am using MCAfee's firewall at present, but will revert To Vista's

> > FW
> > > on removel of McAfee's products.
> > >
> > > Regarding unistalling McAfee's Security Centre, I intend to use
> > > McAfee's Uninstall tool (part of the suite). Is this sufficient.
> > >
> > > Any commments welcome.
> > >
> > > Thanks

> > > --
> > > anon_private

> > --
> > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
> > Please Reply to the Newsgroup

> I will keep all three.
>
> Now for the difficult choice of which anti-virus programme to choose
> from the list of three.

You won't go far wrong with any of the three.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup