Help: What is the administrator password? What if I've never set i

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

john ha

Help: What is the administrator password? What if I've never set i
I have heard of the "administrator password" for a super-administrator.

But I have never "set" the "administrator password" or "super admin password".

I do, however, have a user account with admin privileges that I set a
password to.

Is that the same thing? Does my creating a user account with admin
privileges and password make the password for the super-admin the same, or
will the vista admin password still remain blank?

I'm wondering if this is the case, if a hacker tried to break into my system
to grab files, if I never set the administrator/super-admin password, does
that mean there is none, and they just walk right in,

or does it default to the password I have on my user account with admin
privileges?

Thank you again for your help!
Mr. Arnold

Re: Help: What is the administrator password? What if I've neverset i
john ha wrote:
> I have heard of the "administrator password" for a super-administrator.
>
> But I have never "set" the "administrator password" or "super admin password".
>
> I do, however, have a user account with admin privileges that I set a
> password to.
>
> Is that the same thing? Does my creating a user account with admin
> privileges and password make the password for the super-admin the same, or
> will the vista admin password still remain blank?
>
> I'm wondering if this is the case, if a hacker tried to break into my system
> to grab files, if I never set the administrator/super-admin password, does
> that mean there is none, and they just walk right in,
>
> or does it default to the password I have on my user account with admin
> privileges?
>
> Thank you again for your help!

They are two different user accounts and passwords are not shared
between the two, just like any other user accounts on the machine don't
share psws with other user accounts.

But there is nothing stopping you in setting the password for both
accounts to be the same, to make it easy on you. It's been times I had
to sit there and think about what is the psw to the super-admin-account,
since I seldom use the account.

And the super-admin-account should be psw protected, not left blank.
Americano

Re: Help: What is the administrator password? What if I've never set i

Try:

admin

--
Americano

TRYING THE SAME THING OVER, AND EXPECTING A DIFFERENT RESULT = INSANITY
http://www.vistax64.com/images/style...reputation.gif
-*don't forget to say thanks, tip my scales!*-
niemiro

john ha;1243448 Wrote:
> I have heard of the "administrator password" for a super-administrator.
>
> But I have never "set" the "administrator password" or "super admin
> password".
>
> I do, however, have a user account with admin privileges that I set a
> password to.
>
> Is that the same thing? Does my creating a user account with admin
> privileges and password make the password for the super-admin the same,
> or
> will the vista admin password still remain blank?
>
> I'm wondering if this is the case, if a hacker tried to break into my
> system
> to grab files, if I never set the administrator/super-admin password,
> does
> that mean there is none, and they just walk right in,
>
> or does it default to the password I have on my user account with admin
> privileges?
>
> Thank you again for your help!

Hello,

It is not the same thing. Unless you specifically set the root
Administrator password (which you said you have not) then there is no
password set. Therefore, a local hacker could just boot into Safe Mode
and access your files.

Richard

--
niemiro

If you are expecting a response from me, and do not have one
within 24 hours, PM me. Never feel afraid to send me a PM; that is what
the system is for.
theog

niemiro;1257581 Wrote:
> > john ha;1243448 Wrote:
> > I have heard of the "administrator password" for a super-administrator.
> >
> > But I have never "set" the "administrator password" or "super admin
> > password".
> >
> > I do, however, have a user account with admin privileges that I set a
> > password to.
> >
> > Is that the same thing? Does my creating a user account with admin
> > privileges and password make the password for the super-admin the same,
> > or
> > will the vista admin password still remain blank?
> >
> > I'm wondering if this is the case, if a hacker tried to break into my
> > system
> > to grab files, if I never set the administrator/super-admin password,
> > does
> > that mean there is none, and they just walk right in,
> >
> > or does it default to the password I have on my user account with admin
> > privileges?
> >
> > Thank you again for your help!> >

> Hello,
>
> It is not the same thing. Unless you specifically set the root
> Administrator password (which you said you have not) then there is no
> password set. Therefore, a local hacker could just boot into Safe Mode
> and access your files.
>
> Richard

No, safe mode will boot to the User account, not the
Super-administrator.

--
theog
niemiro

Re: Help: What is the administrator password? What if I've never set i

> No, safe mode will boot to the User account, not the
> Super-administrator.

Oh, I had no idea. So for several years I have been wandering around
with that misconception in my head! Also, why is it that if you lock
yourself out of your files, you can usually recovery them in Safe Mode?
Is it simply because it is Safe Mode and the security is relaxed?
Thanks!

--
niemiro

If you are expecting a response from me, and do not have one
within 24 hours, PM me. Never feel afraid to send me a PM; that is what
the system is for.
FromTheRafters

"theog" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> No, safe mode will boot to the User account, not the
> Super-administrator.

Safe Mode *can* boot into the "Administrator" account.

Paul Adare

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 09:49:03 -0700, john ha wrote:

> I have heard of the "administrator password" for a super-administrator.
>
> But I have never "set" the "administrator password" or "super admin password".

Wow, you're getting answers that are all over the map. Let me try to
clarify here.

1. There is no such thing as a "super-administrator. There is an account
named Administrator and you can add additional accounts that are members of
the Administrators group.
2. The difference between the account named Administrator and an account
that is a member of the Administrators group, is that the account named
Administrator, if used, will always have an administrative level access
token and will not be required to elevate by UAC when attempting to perform
a privileged operation.
3. Safe mode does not automatically "boot" into any particular account, be
it the Administrator account, an account that is a member of the
Administrators group, or a standard user account. Assuming you have a
password set on the account you need to logon after you've booted to Safe
mode.
4. In Vista and Windows 7, the account named Administrator is disabled by
default, so although you don't set a password on the account named
Administrator during setup, the account simply can't be used on a default
system regardless of what mode you're booting into.
5. From a security perspective there's really no reason to set a password
on the account named Administrator because of the previous point. In order
to be able to use the Administrator account, a hacker would first have to
crack the password of an existing account on your computer that is a member
of the Administrators group. If they were able to do so, they'd already
have administrative access to your computer and would have no need to use
the account named Administrator.
6. Finally, in order to take advantage of Safe mode in the first place, an
attacker would need to have physical possession of your computer, in which
case, the computer is no longer yours, and it belongs to the hacker any
way.

--
Paul Adare
MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
niemiro

Re: Help: What is the administrator password? What if I've never set i

Thank you! What a perfect description! Now we all know what Safe Mode
is! Thanks again,

Richard