Can't change permissions

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

mkr10001

Can't change permissions

Well basically, i found some software which can sort your videos and
rename them properly according to imdb blah blah blah not important, and
there's a feature that will sort the files into their own folders. i.e
make a new folder named after the file and move the file in to it.

but it stopped working, and i've got it into my head that it's to do
with permissions. i dont have modify rights of the folder that the
videos are stored in and when i try to change it to let me modify it
says access denied. but some of the folders inside that folder have
modify allowed and others don't. this is on an external drive, but i can
sort the files into folders when the files are on my laptop.

can anyone help?

oh and ive tried running the prpgram as admin

--
mkr10001
Mr. Arnold

Re: Can't change permissions
mkr10001 wrote:
> Well basically, i found some software which can sort your videos and
> rename them properly according to imdb blah blah blah not important, and
> there's a feature that will sort the files into their own folders. i.e
> make a new folder named after the file and move the file in to it.
>
> but it stopped working, and i've got it into my head that it's to do
> with permissions. i dont have modify rights of the folder that the
> videos are stored in and when i try to change it to let me modify it
> says access denied. but some of the folders inside that folder have
> modify allowed and others don't. this is on an external drive, but i can
> sort the files into folders when the files are on my laptop.
>
> can anyone help?
>
> oh and ive tried running the prpgram as admin

The account has full admin rights.

<http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-administrator-account-on-windows-vista/>

The admin account that Vista gives you out of the box doesn't have full
admin rights in some cases.
Primal

Re: Can't change permissions

mkr10001;1237812 Wrote:
> Well basically, i found some software which can sort your videos and
> rename them properly according to imdb blah blah blah not important, and
> there's a feature that will sort the files into their own folders. i.e
> make a new folder named after the file and move the file in to it.
>
> but it stopped working, and i've got it into my head that it's to do
> with permissions. i dont have modify rights of the folder that the
> videos are stored in and when i try to change it to let me modify it
> says access denied. but some of the folders inside that folder have
> modify allowed and others don't. this is on an external drive, but i can
> sort the files into folders when the files are on my laptop.
>
> can anyone help?
>
> oh and ive tried running the prpgram as adminThis may help.* I am not an expert so please make a back up first*

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67717-take-ownership-file.html''
(http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...menu-in-vista/)

Regards

Primal

--
Primal
Primal

Re: Can't change permissions

I am not sure if i posted the right link or if it was edited. I had a
link to a ***? Sorry if that was wrong

mkr10001 i tried to pm you but do not see the option

--
Primal
mkr10001

Re: Can't change permissions