router question from dummy

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

iluv my kitties and family

router question from dummy
Have high speed internet. Have a 3gbsdram. And I have a router that is a g.
Would I benefit as far as computer speed on the net with a router that is an
n router. Also even though the computer says 802.11 a/g/n wireless I still
would have to buy the the adapter that goes into the notebook?
I know nothing about routers and the fact we have a g router it doesn't have
an adapter needed for the computer to work. Was wondering if that is the
same case with a wireless n router? thanks

Pete Delgado

Re: router question from dummy

"iluv my kitties and family" <NOSPAMb@cox.net> wrote in message
> Have high speed internet. Have a 3gbsdram. And I have a router that is a
> g.
> Would I benefit as far as computer speed on the net with a router that is
> an n router.

Your *computer* would not speed up if you had an n router and n wireless
adapter, but the speed that is available to access internet resources would.
The fact that you have 3GB of RAM is almost meaningless in this context.
However, the increase in speed of the internet connection may seem to you as
if the computer is speeding up because web sites will tend to load faster
because the data will be transmitted wirelessly to your computer at a faster
rate.

If you connect your computer to the router via an ethernet cable and the
ethernet ports on your router and computer and disable the wireless card on
the computer, you can get an idea of the best you can expect from using an N
wireless connection.

>Also even though the computer says 802.11 a/g/n wireless I still would have
>to buy the the adapter that goes into the notebook?

If the notebook already has an n adapter, all you really need to do is
ensure that the wireless router that you purchase is compatible with it.
Most of the big brand names like D-Link and Linksys should be compatible,
though there may be features that are unsupported in specific
configurations.

> I know nothing about routers and the fact we have a g router it doesn't
> have an adapter needed for the computer to work. Was wondering if that is
> the same case with a wireless n router? thanks

Not sure what you are asking here...

-Pete