How much of a chance am I infected?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Shenan Stanley

Re: How much of a chance am I infected?
Bob wrote:
> I reinstalled Vista. I thought I disconnected my network wire from
> my cable modem before I started the reinstall. The first thing I
> did when I could get Vista running was setup a standard user
> account and finished the reinstall and updates in that and not in
> admin account. I downloaded SP1 & SP2 files before reinstall so I
> did not have to download it during reinstall but just double click
> to update to SP1-2. The constant clicking of permission buttons
> was not too annoying. I had to switch to admin account a couple of
> times for about ten minutes each and immediately switched back.
> I then installed Avast antivirus. Now that my computer is now safe
> to do final updates, I went to connect to the internet. I
> discovered that my computer was connected to the internet the whole
> time. For about ten hours I was protected only with Windows
> Defender and Windows Firewall each with default settings in
> progressing levels of update using a standard user account
> (assuming standard user account is safer). I did click on some
> help links (two times only) that brought me to a microsoft.com help
> page. (I thought the web page was contained in vista or the SP1-2
> update, stupid me).
> I listened to a tech report on the radio a 3 or 4 years ago that
> told of an experiment to see how long it would take a completely
> (pre vista era) unprotected idle computer on a high speed internet
> connection to be infected with something. The average time it took
> to infect a computer was four minutes. That alarmed me so that
> report stayed with me. I really do not know much about the process
> of how infections happen. In reference to this radio report and
> that my computer was only partially protected for ten hours, what
> are the chances my computer is infected with something? My
> computer seems to be working normal. I detect nothing the least
> bit unusual.
> Background info: Desktop AMD 4400+ 64X2 4GB memory 320GB HD Acer
> (AM3100-U3201A) purchased new February 2008 -- 32-bit MS Vista Home
> Premium SP2 -- MS auto updates on. Comcast ISP 12mbps service W\
> Motorola SURFboard SB5101 Cable Modem direct to computer. No other
> switches or routers or wireless or phone line or any other
> networking hardware hooked up to this computer.

Since your firewall was enabled and you are probably behind a NAT router as
well (have a private, not public IP) - slim to none. It's POSSIBLE - but
not likely.

I know many people who run no AV software, and they don't get infected.
They don't do much Internet surfing either (although they are connected.)

The way you describe it, unless you went someplace on the Internet you did
not mention - you are likely fine.

Scan with you AV software (full scan) and MalwareBytes to see if they detect
anything. Chances are they will not and chances are against you actually
having anything.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Bob

[...]

Thanks for the help
Bob

FromTheRafters

"Bob" <bobbREMOVE-CAPSus99@CAPSyaREMOVE-CAPShoo.com> wrote in message

> I listened to a tech report on the radio a 3 or 4 years ago that told
> of an experiment to see how long it would take a completely (pre vista
> era) unprotected idle computer on a high speed internet connection to
> be infected with something. The average time it took to infect a
> computer was four minutes. That alarmed me so that report stayed with
> me. I really do not know much about the process of how infections
> happen.

There was a lot of network worm activity back then (based on DCOM RPC
exploits). Your firewall likely blocked any incoming exploit code
packets (which you probably weren't susceptible to on Vista anyway).

Bob

Re: How much of a chance am I infected?
Thank You
Bob