what keys are "Net user administrator /active:yes"?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

ToddAndMargo

what keys are "Net user administrator /active:yes"?
Hi All,

I have a customer that lost/forgot/typo'ed her
password. Her Vista Home Edition Administrator's
account is disabled.

I can edit the registry with Bart PE. Can
someone tell me what registry key I need to edit
to accomplish what "Net user administrator /active:yes"
does?

Many thanks,
-T
Peter Foldes

Re: what keys are "Net user administrator /active:yes"?
STOP multiposting

--
Peter

"ToddAndMargo" <ToddAndMargo@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I have a customer that lost/forgot/typo'ed her
> password. Her Vista Home Edition Administrator's
> account is disabled.
>
> I can edit the registry with Bart PE. Can
> someone tell me what registry key I need to edit
> to accomplish what "Net user administrator /active:yes"
> does?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

ToddAndMargo

Re: what keys are "Net user administrator /active:yes"?

> "ToddAndMargo" <ToddAndMargo@invalid.com> wrote in message
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have a customer that lost/forgot/typo'ed her
>> password. Her Vista Home Edition Administrator's
>> account is disabled.
>>
>> I can edit the registry with Bart PE. Can
>> someone tell me what registry key I need to edit
>> to accomplish what "Net user administrator /active:yes"
>> does?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T

On 02/13/2010 09:23 PM, Peter Foldes top posted:
> STOP multiposting
>
> --
> Peter

Hi All,

I never did figure out which registry keys went with
"Net user administrator /active:yes". But I did find
a utility to do it for me: Offline NT Password & Registry
Editor.

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

This is a Linux boot CD that allows you to both
enable user accounts and erase user passwords, including
the Administrator's account.

And, it worked perfectly on my customer machine. She now
has an Administrator's icon and she can now log into
both her own account and the Administrator's account
without a password. Happy camping has returned.

I hope this helps others,
-T

FromTheRafters

Re: what keys are "Net user administrator /active:yes"?
"ToddAndMargo" <ToddAndMargo@invalid.com> wrote in message

[...]

>> "ToddAndMargo" <ToddAndMargo@invalid.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I have a customer that lost/forgot/typo'ed her
>>> password. Her Vista Home Edition Administrator's
>>> account is disabled.
>>>
>>> I can edit the registry with Bart PE. Can
>>> someone tell me what registry key I need to edit
>>> to accomplish what "Net user administrator /active:yes"
>>> does?

This is not stored in the registry.

Accounts: Administrator account status under Computer
Configuration\Windows Settings\Local Policies\Security Options

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...cySettings.xls

ToddAndMargo

On 02/18/2010 10:25 AM, FromTheRafters wrote:
> "ToddAndMargo"<ToddAndMargo@invalid.com> wrote in message
>
> [...]
>
>>> "ToddAndMargo"<ToddAndMargo@invalid.com> wrote in message

> This is not stored in the registry.
>
> Accounts: Administrator account status under Computer
> Configuration\Windows Settings\Local Policies\Security Options
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...cySettings.xls

That would explain why I could not find anything despite
all the Googling ("Just Google it": the new RTFM) in the
world. Great link!

Thank you,
-T