ESET 4.0 hijacked

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

brooke.waits is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ESET 4.0 hijacked
Something got in and hijacked my ESET security suite and basically took over my entire computer. Almost all of my drivers are disabled and it has control of pretty much every file. I used hijack to find the files, and I notice the registry changes. It wont even let me run a virus scan in safe mode. I was looking at the registry and although normally I wouldn't go near it, I am just erasing the changes that were given to the keys. Then I will try to run a virus scan again. What else can I do to make sure everything is out? I have the scan logs as well, I just wasn't sure where to put them. Thanks

brooke.waits is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: ESET 4.0 hijacked
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooke.waits View Post
Something got in and hijacked my ESET security suite and basically took over my entire computer. Almost all of my drivers are disabled and it has control of pretty much every file. I used hijack to find the files, and I notice the registry changes. It wont even let me run a virus scan in safe mode. I was looking at the registry and although normally I wouldn't go near it, I am just erasing the changes that were given to the keys. Then I will try to run a virus scan again. What else can I do to make sure everything is out? I have the scan logs as well, I just wasn't sure where to put them. Thanks
Oh, and I am running Vista x64 home premium on an HPa6720f and I thought I had virus protection from ESET, but you can see how that went.
Joan Archer

Re: ESET 4.0 hijacked
Well if it's as bad as you say then I would completely wipe the machine and
re-install. I think that would be the fastest and safest way you would then
know you are starting with a clean machine.

--
Joan Archer
http://www.freewebs.com/crossstitcher

"brooke.waits" <brooke.waits.467nc3@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:brooke.waits.467nc3@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> Something got in and hijacked my ESET security suite and basically took
> over my entire computer. Almost all of my drivers are disabled and it
> has control of pretty much every file. I used hijack to find the files,
> and I notice the registry changes. It wont even let me run a virus scan
> in safe mode. I was looking at the registry and although normally I
> wouldn't go near it, I am just erasing the changes that were given to
> the keys. Then I will try to run a virus scan again. What else can I do
> to make sure everything is out? I have the scan logs as well, I just
> wasn't sure where to put them. Thanks
>

> --
> brooke.waits

brooke.waits is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: ESET 4.0 hijacked
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan Archer View Post
Well if it's as bad as you say then I would completely wipe the machine and
re-install. I think that would be the fastest and safest way you would then
know you are starting with a clean machine.

--
Joan Archer
Joan's Place | I love to cross-stitch

"brooke.waits" wrote in
message news:brooke.waits.467nc3@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> Something got in and hijacked my ESET security suite and basically took
> over my entire computer. Almost all of my drivers are disabled and it
> has control of pretty much every file. I used hijack to find the files,
> and I notice the registry changes. It wont even let me run a virus scan
> in safe mode. I was looking at the registry and although normally I
> wouldn't go near it, I am just erasing the changes that were given to
> the keys. Then I will try to run a virus scan again. What else can I do
> to make sure everything is out? I have the scan logs as well, I just
> wasn't sure where to put them. Thanks
>

> --
> brooke.waits

I tried doing that already, but since it disabled all of my drivers the menu at the start says I don't have any drivers installed.
Peter Foldes

Re: ESET 4.0 hijacked
Huh? Do you know what it means to completely wipe the machine? Reformat and do a
clean install

--
Peter