How can I block other machines from having access to my computer?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

SomeOldGuy

How can I block other machines from having access to my computer?
I have a new computer from HP that has Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit
installed. Mostly, it seems pretty good. It has been quite stable since
initial trouble got ironed out (blue-screened severely, fresh out of the box
from day one).

Here's my current problem...

My daughter came to visit over the holidays and brought her laptop with her.
When she connected to my wireless network connection, her Windows Media
Player popped up a message saying it found [computer name] and did she want
to have access to media on that computer. She answered "yes" and proceeded to
show me that she could see all my pictures and movies, and play my music.

Doing some experimenting, we opened Explorer and clicked on the Network
line, and saw icons there for all the computers on this little home network.
We opened one of the remote machines and discovered that we can read AND
WRITE files to it, and can delete them as well.

This seems like a severe security hole to me - if I am mistaken, please
explain.

How can I prevent these computers from being accessible to each other on the
network?

Leroy

Re: How can I block other machines from having access to my computer?
How to Secure Your Wireless Home Network:
http://www.labnol.org/internet/secur...network/10549/

SomeOldGuy wrote:
> I have a new computer from HP that has Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit
> installed. Mostly, it seems pretty good. It has been quite stable since
> initial trouble got ironed out (blue-screened severely, fresh out of the box
> from day one).
>
> Here's my current problem...
>
> My daughter came to visit over the holidays and brought her laptop with her.
> When she connected to my wireless network connection, her Windows Media
> Player popped up a message saying it found [computer name] and did she want
> to have access to media on that computer. She answered "yes" and proceeded to
> show me that she could see all my pictures and movies, and play my music.
>
> Doing some experimenting, we opened Explorer and clicked on the Network
> line, and saw icons there for all the computers on this little home network.
> We opened one of the remote machines and discovered that we can read AND
> WRITE files to it, and can delete them as well.
>
> This seems like a severe security hole to me - if I am mistaken, please
> explain.
>
> How can I prevent these computers from being accessible to each other on the
> network?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

SomeOldGuy

Re: How can I block other machines from having access to my comput
Thanks for the link, but the wireless network has all those things
implemented. I guess I did not explain it clearly:

Any computer that IS connected the to network has access to read/write files
on the OTHER computers. I wish to prevent that.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

"Leroy" wrote:

> How to Secure Your Wireless Home Network:
> http://www.labnol.org/internet/secur...network/10549/
>

> SomeOldGuy wrote:
> > I have a new computer from HP that has Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit
> > installed. Mostly, it seems pretty good. It has been quite stable since
> > initial trouble got ironed out (blue-screened severely, fresh out of the box
> > from day one).
> >
> > Here's my current problem...
> >
> > My daughter came to visit over the holidays and brought her laptop with her.
> > When she connected to my wireless network connection, her Windows Media
> > Player popped up a message saying it found [computer name] and did she want
> > to have access to media on that computer. She answered "yes" and proceeded to
> > show me that she could see all my pictures and movies, and play my music.
> >
> > Doing some experimenting, we opened Explorer and clicked on the Network
> > line, and saw icons there for all the computers on this little home network.
> > We opened one of the remote machines and discovered that we can read AND
> > WRITE files to it, and can delete them as well.
> >
> > This seems like a severe security hole to me - if I am mistaken, please
> > explain.
> >
> > How can I prevent these computers from being accessible to each other on the
> > network?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

> .

Jim

Re: How can I block other machines from having access to my computer?
On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 08:57:01 -0800, SomeOldGuy
<SomeOldGuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a new computer from HP that has Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit
>installed. Mostly, it seems pretty good. It has been quite stable since
>initial trouble got ironed out (blue-screened severely, fresh out of the box
>from day one).
>
>Here's my current problem...
>
>My daughter came to visit over the holidays and brought her laptop with her.
>When she connected to my wireless network connection, her Windows Media
>Player popped up a message saying it found [computer name] and did she want
>to have access to media on that computer. She answered "yes" and proceeded to
>show me that she could see all my pictures and movies, and play my music.
>
>Doing some experimenting, we opened Explorer and clicked on the Network
>line, and saw icons there for all the computers on this little home network.
>We opened one of the remote machines and discovered that we can read AND
>WRITE files to it, and can delete them as well.
>
>This seems like a severe security hole to me - if I am mistaken, please
>explain.
>
>How can I prevent these computers from being accessible to each other on the
>network?
>
>Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Sounds like you have your wireless set to "public" and not "private "
DL

Re: How can I block other machines from having access to my comput
Thats because you have allowed sharing on your private network
PS Its only allowed for PC's connected to your private network, assuming
your network is protected, others from outside cannot connect

"SomeOldGuy" <SomeOldGuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the link, but the wireless network has all those things
> implemented. I guess I did not explain it clearly:
>
> Any computer that IS connected the to network has access to read/write
> files
> on the OTHER computers. I wish to prevent that.
>
> Thanks in advance for any advice.
>

> "Leroy" wrote:
>
>> How to Secure Your Wireless Home Network:
>> http://www.labnol.org/internet/secur...network/10549/
>>

>> SomeOldGuy wrote:
>> > I have a new computer from HP that has Windows Vista Home Premium 64
>> > bit
>> > installed. Mostly, it seems pretty good. It has been quite stable since
>> > initial trouble got ironed out (blue-screened severely, fresh out of
>> > the box
>> > from day one).
>> >
>> > Here's my current problem...
>> >
>> > My daughter came to visit over the holidays and brought her laptop with
>> > her.
>> > When she connected to my wireless network connection, her Windows Media
>> > Player popped up a message saying it found [computer name] and did she
>> > want
>> > to have access to media on that computer. She answered "yes" and
>> > proceeded to
>> > show me that she could see all my pictures and movies, and play my
>> > music.
>> >
>> > Doing some experimenting, we opened Explorer and clicked on the Network
>> > line, and saw icons there for all the computers on this little home
>> > network.
>> > We opened one of the remote machines and discovered that we can read
>> > AND
>> > WRITE files to it, and can delete them as well.
>> >
>> > This seems like a severe security hole to me - if I am mistaken, please
>> > explain.
>> >
>> > How can I prevent these computers from being accessible to each other
>> > on the
>> > network?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

>> .

MowGreen

Re: How can I block other machines from having access to my comput
Set the network to *Home network* and Disable File and Printer Sharing
via the Network and Sharing Center in Control Panel.
Click the "Choose homegroup and sharing options" link, then click
the "Advanced sharing settings" link.

MowGreen
* -343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten