Vista Security and Windows Defender will not start

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

dsagent

Vista Security and Windows Defender will not start

I recently had a Trojan and Symantec anti virus removed it. However when
I uninstalled Symantec (I wanted to place in another anti-virus) Windows
Security became unavailable. If I go to Control Panel > Security nothing
happens. When I try to access Windows Defender then I immediately get a
blue error screen. Now whenever I open up Internet Explorer sometimes
strange noises start to happen as if I'm watching a video. (goes away
when IE closes) making me think Symantec was not successful. Also I am
running Vista Home Premium.

--
dsagent
dsagent's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/168088.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

MowGreen

Re: Vista Security and Windows Defender will not start
It sounds like Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI)has been damaged
by the combination of malware and Symantec.
First, see if you can run this security software removal tool:
AppRemover
http://www.technibble.com/appremover...l-of-the-week/

If you can, then remove all vestiges of Symantec and any other installed
antivirus.

If not or if you could remove Symantec with the aforementioned tool,
open an Elevated Command Prompt ( Start orb > in the Start search field
type in cmd > *right* click cmd.exe and choose 'Run as administrator' >
if no password is used click the Continue button; if one is used enter
it and then click OK.

At the Elevated prompt, type in the below and then press Enter
(Note the space between the " t " and the slash /)

winmgmt /verifyrepository

If WMI reports that it's in an inconsistent state try running the below
command

winmgmt /salvagerepository

You may have to run it twice. Reboot afterwards and then run the
verifyrepository command again to see if WMI was salvaged.

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"

dsagent wrote:

> I recently had a Trojan and Symantec anti virus removed it. However when
> I uninstalled Symantec (I wanted to place in another anti-virus) Windows
> Security became unavailable. If I go to Control Panel > Security nothing
> happens. When I try to access Windows Defender then I immediately get a
> blue error screen. Now whenever I open up Internet Explorer sometimes
> strange noises start to happen as if I'm watching a video. (goes away
> when IE closes) making me think Symantec was not successful. Also I am
> running Vista Home Premium.

Hank Arnold

Re: Vista Security and Windows Defender will not start
Thanks, MowGreen. Nice utility.....

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold

MowGreen wrote:

> First, see if you can run this security software removal tool:
> AppRemover
> http://www.technibble.com/appremover...l-of-the-week/
>
> If you can, then remove all vestiges of Symantec and any other installed
> antivirus.

MowGreen

Re: Vista Security and Windows Defender will not start
You're mowst welcome, Hank. Check the other tools as there are others
that are keepers on that site.

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten