How can I retreive or reset my user logon info?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Advice Pro

How can I retreive or reset my user logon info?

My PC won't boot neither normally or in safe mode and It won't repair
itself, but I've found that if I press F8 after a restart, I can then
select the option to repair and I getting System Recovery Options that
ask for the user login. Either I don't have my user login info or it
won't be accepted.

I have the Gateway disc that came with my PC. I also have discs
created at Best Buy, 'Gateway Applications & Drivers' + 'Backup Discs'.

--
Advice Pro
theog

Re: How can I retreive or reset my user logon info?

Advice Pro;1193479 Wrote:
> My PC won't boot neither normally or in safe mode and It won't repair
> itself, but I've found that if I press F8 after a restart, I can then
> select the option to repair and I getting System Recovery Options that
> ask for the user login. I'll leave restoring the PC as a last resort
> because of losing personal data.

Do you make a password reset disk?

|Filename: Capture001.JPG |
|Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17292|

theog
sHaDoW8585

Advice Pro;1193479 Wrote:
> My PC won't boot neither normally or in safe mode and It won't repair
> itself, but I've found that if I press F8 after a restart, I can then
> select the option to repair and I getting System Recovery Options that
> ask for the user login. Either I don't have my user login info or it
> won't be accepted.
>
> I have the Gateway disc that came with my PC. I also have discs created
> at Best Buy, 'Gateway Applications & Drivers' + 'Backup Discs'.

Well you have a couple of options depending your suituation. If you
know the Username/Password to an Administrator account try using that
when prompted. If you've lost the password or Windows just isn't
accepting it, then you can try using the actual "Administrator" account
with a blank password. However, from what I've read, this only works in
Vista if no other Administrator accounts exist--otherwise its disabled.
There are a number of password reset tools available that automate the
process for you. Personally, I not tried any, but Winpass (part of the
Trinity Rescue Kit) is a free reset tool that boots off a CD. See here
for instructions: 'Trinity Rescue Kit :: View topic - My EX changed my
password!!!!!' (http://trinityhome.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1039).

Last option, especially if your Windows install is seriously damaged
(ie: won't boot to any of the Safe Mode's) is to copy everything
important (documents, music, videos) to another drive. You can do that
with a bootable copy of Linux, or actually remove the hard drive and
connect it to another computer directly or thru a USB to IDE/SATA
adapter. Then reinstall Windows using the system restore discs from
Gateway and copy your backed up data.

--
sHaDoW8585
Hank Arnold

Advice Pro wrote:
> My PC won't boot neither normally or in safe mode and It won't repair
> itself, but I've found that if I press F8 after a restart, I can then
> select the option to repair and I getting System Recovery Options that
> ask for the user login. Either I don't have my user login info or it
> won't be accepted.
>
> I have the Gateway disc that came with my PC. I also have discs
> created at Best Buy, 'Gateway Applications & Drivers' + 'Backup Discs'.

First thing to try is to boot the OS CD and try to do a repair from
there. Don't pick the first one, act as if you are installing. You will
see an option later to repair vs. install. Choose that.

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold