Firewall Exceptions for Programs versus Ports

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Don

Firewall Exceptions for Programs versus Ports
I'm running Microsoft Office Groove and it is setup under Vista (Business
edition) Firewall Exceptions as a Program, not a Port. To clarify, when you
look at the properties of the Groove (Program) Exception, it does not mention
anything about ports. I know I can add an exception specifically for Port
2492 (Groove's primary communication port), but would that be redundant if
the Program Exception for Groove already opens up that specific Port. Hope
that makes sense.

I had posted the same question in the Groove Discussion Group here -
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...6-4c555df48526

but one of the Mods referred me to this group. Hope someone can help.
Thanks.
FromTheRafters

Re: Firewall Exceptions for Programs versus Ports
"Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm running Microsoft Office Groove and it is setup under Vista
> (Business
> edition) Firewall Exceptions as a Program, not a Port. To clarify,
> when you
> look at the properties of the Groove (Program) Exception, it does not
> mention
> anything about ports. I know I can add an exception specifically for
> Port
> 2492 (Groove's primary communication port), but would that be
> redundant if
> the Program Exception for Groove already opens up that specific Port.
> Hope
> that makes sense.
>
> I had posted the same question in the Groove Discussion Group here -
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...6-4c555df48526
>
> but one of the Mods referred me to this group. Hope someone can help.
> Thanks.

Programmatically, exceptions can be made for the duration of the running
program.

User defined exceptions for the firewall?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...55(WS.10).aspx

Use the control panel applet, or the plug-in.

Don

"FromTheRafters" wrote:

> "Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm running Microsoft Office Groove and it is setup under Vista
> > (Business
> > edition) Firewall Exceptions as a Program, not a Port. To clarify,
> > when you
> > look at the properties of the Groove (Program) Exception, it does not
> > mention
> > anything about ports. I know I can add an exception specifically for
> > Port
> > 2492 (Groove's primary communication port), but would that be
> > redundant if
> > the Program Exception for Groove already opens up that specific Port.
> > Hope
> > that makes sense.
> >
> > I had posted the same question in the Groove Discussion Group here -
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities...6-4c555df48526
> >
> > but one of the Mods referred me to this group. Hope someone can help.
> > Thanks.

> Programmatically, exceptions can be made for the duration of the running
> program.
>
> User defined exceptions for the firewall?
>
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...55(WS.10).aspx
>
> Use the control panel applet, or the plug-in.

So opening the port that the app uses manually with a specific port
exception would be less secure since the "Program Exception" closes the port
after the application is closed, correct?

> "FromTheRafters" wrote:
>
>> "Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm running Microsoft Office Groove and it is setup under Vista
>> > (Business
>> > edition) Firewall Exceptions as a Program, not a Port. To clarify,
>> > when you
>> > look at the properties of the Groove (Program) Exception, it does
>> > not
>> > mention
>> > anything about ports. I know I can add an exception specifically
>> > for
>> > Port
>> > 2492 (Groove's primary communication port), but would that be
>> > redundant if
>> > the Program Exception for Groove already opens up that specific
>> > Port.
>> > Hope
>> > that makes sense.
>> >
>> > I had posted the same question in the Groove Discussion Group
>> > here -
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities...6-4c555df48526
>> >
>> > but one of the Mods referred me to this group. Hope someone can
>> > help.
>> > Thanks.

>> Programmatically, exceptions can be made for the duration of the
>> running
>> program.
>>
>> User defined exceptions for the firewall?
>>
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...55(WS.10).aspx
>>
>> Use the control panel applet, or the plug-in.
>>

> So opening the port that the app uses manually with a specific port
> exception would be less secure since the "Program Exception" closes
> the port
> after the application is closed, correct?

That's how I understand it regarding a Vista compatible program setting
its own exceptions. As for user defined exceptions for a program or a
port, I'm not sure. IIRC there's a MSDN article that explains it pretty
well, but my memory isn't as good as it used to be.

FromTheRafters

Re: Firewall Exceptions for Programs versus Ports

For programmatically adding an application to the exceptions list, and a
sort of overview of its purpose.

> "Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> So opening the port that the app uses manually with a specific port
>> exception would be less secure since the "Program Exception" closes
>> the port after the application is closed, correct?

That's the idea.

Don

"FromTheRafters" wrote:

> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...21(VS.85).aspx
>
> For programmatically adding an application to the exceptions list, and a
> sort of overview of its purpose.
>

> "FromTheRafters" <erratic @nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message
> > "Don" <Don@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> I'm running Microsoft Office Groove and it is setup under Vista
> >> (Business
> >> edition) Firewall Exceptions as a Program, not a Port. To clarify,
> >> when you
> >> look at the properties of the Groove (Program) Exception, it does not
> >> mention
> >> anything about ports. I know I can add an exception specifically for
> >> Port
> >> 2492 (Groove's primary communication port), but would that be
> >> redundant if
> >> the Program Exception for Groove already opens up that specific Port.
> >> Hope
> >> that makes sense.
> >>
> >> I had posted the same question in the Groove Discussion Group here -
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...6-4c555df48526
> >>
> >> but one of the Mods referred me to this group. Hope someone can
> >> help.
> >> Thanks.

> > Programmatically, exceptions can be made for the duration of the
> > running program.
> >
> > User defined exceptions for the firewall?
> >
> > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...55(WS.10).aspx
> >
> > Use the control panel applet, or the plug-in.

Thanks, that's a great help.