Defender gone from Vista

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Tony Linguini

Defender gone from Vista
My granddaughter's laptop got the eco (green) antivirus extortionware, and I
manually removed it. It somehow removed the core files from Defender, and
now it won't start or run. Suggestions? (besides a format please)
Tony

KristleBawl

Re: Defender gone from Vista
Tony Linguini expressed an opinion:
> My granddaughter's laptop got the eco (green) antivirus extortionware,
> and I manually removed it. It somehow removed the core files from
> Defender, and now it won't start or run. Suggestions? (besides a format
> please)
> Tony

The first step is to try to reinstall Defender.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...r/default.mspx

These programs remove the rogues for you, and they are easy to update,
just like an anti virus program. I have the free versions installed and
use them regularly.

Ad-Aware
http://www.lavasoft.com/?domain=lava...aware_free.php

Malwarebytes
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispyware.html

--
KristleBawl
He who adds not to his learning diminishes it. - The Talmud
Tony Linguini

Re: Defender gone from Vista
Thank you, tried that, download said " incorrect operating system" or some
such which loosely translated meant that Defender is built into Vista.
Tony

"KristleBawl" <KristleBawl@some.email> wrote in message
> Tony Linguini expressed an opinion:
>> My granddaughter's laptop got the eco (green) antivirus extortionware,
>> and I manually removed it. It somehow removed the core files from
>> Defender, and now it won't start or run. Suggestions? (besides a format
>> please)
>> Tony

> The first step is to try to reinstall Defender.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...r/default.mspx
>
> These programs remove the rogues for you, and they are easy to update,
> just like an anti virus program. I have the free versions installed and
> use them regularly.
>
> Ad-Aware
> http://www.lavasoft.com/?domain=lava...aware_free.php
>
> Malwarebytes
> http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
>
> SuperAntiSpyware
> http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispyware.html
>
> --
> KristleBawl
> He who adds not to his learning diminishes it. - The Talmud
> Taglines by http://tagzilla.mozdev.org

DL

Re: Defender gone from Vista
Defender has been replaced by MS Security Essentials

"Tony Linguini" <testertony@live.com> wrote in message
> Thank you, tried that, download said " incorrect operating system" or some
> such which loosely translated meant that Defender is built into Vista.
> Tony
>
> "KristleBawl" <KristleBawl@some.email> wrote in message
>> Tony Linguini expressed an opinion:
>>> My granddaughter's laptop got the eco (green) antivirus extortionware,
>>> and I manually removed it. It somehow removed the core files from
>>> Defender, and now it won't start or run. Suggestions? (besides a format
>>> please)
>>> Tony

>> The first step is to try to reinstall Defender.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...r/default.mspx
>>
>> These programs remove the rogues for you, and they are easy to update,
>> just like an anti virus program. I have the free versions installed and
>> use them regularly.
>>
>> Ad-Aware
>> http://www.lavasoft.com/?domain=lava...aware_free.php
>>
>> Malwarebytes
>> http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
>>
>> SuperAntiSpyware
>> http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispyware.html
>>
>> --
>> KristleBawl
>> He who adds not to his learning diminishes it. - The Talmud
>> Taglines by http://tagzilla.mozdev.org

Michael Ober

Re: Defender gone from Vista
Actually the two work together.

Mike.

"DL" <notvalid@spoofaddress.co.uk> wrote in message
> Defender has been replaced by MS Security Essentials
>
> "Tony Linguini" <testertony@live.com> wrote in message
>> Thank you, tried that, download said " incorrect operating system" or
>> some such which loosely translated meant that Defender is built into
>> Vista.
>> Tony
>>
>> "KristleBawl" <KristleBawl@some.email> wrote in message
>>> Tony Linguini expressed an opinion:
>>>
>>> The first step is to try to reinstall Defender.
>>>
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...r/default.mspx
>>>
>>> These programs remove the rogues for you, and they are easy to update,
>>> just like an anti virus program. I have the free versions installed and
>>> use them regularly.
>>>
>>> Ad-Aware
>>> http://www.lavasoft.com/?domain=lava...aware_free.php
>>>
>>> Malwarebytes
>>> http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
>>>
>>> SuperAntiSpyware
>>> http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispyware.html
>>>
>>> --
>>> KristleBawl
>>> He who adds not to his learning diminishes it. - The Talmud
>>> Taglines by http://tagzilla.mozdev.org

Tony Linguini

Re: Defender gone from Vista
So if I install MSE will it re-install defender?
Tony

"Michael Ober" <obermd.@.alum.mit.edu.nospam> wrote in message
> Actually the two work together.
>
> Mike.
>
> "DL" <notvalid@spoofaddress.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Defender has been replaced by MS Security Essentials
>>
>> "Tony Linguini" <testertony@live.com> wrote in message
>>> Thank you, tried that, download said " incorrect operating system" or
>>> some such which loosely translated meant that Defender is built into
>>> Vista.
>>> Tony

KristleBawl

Re: Defender gone from Vista
Tony Linguini expressed an opinion:
> Thank you, tried that, download said " incorrect operating system" or
> some such which loosely translated meant that Defender is built into Vista.
> Tony

After further research, try this:

You need to go to "services.msc". Type that in from Start > Run and hit
enter. Scroll down the list to the Windows Defender service, right click
on it and select properties. In there change the settings for it to
start automatically. You could also manually start the service at the
same time. That should fix the error.

If that doesn't work, you can try a System Restore.

--
KristleBawl
At this point, chocolate is a viable alternative.
Taglines by http://tagzilla.mozdev.org
Tony Linguini

Re: Defender gone from Vista
BTDTGTTS
The files are actually GONE from program files/windows defender. It will not
start manually or automagically.
I believe the extortionware did that so defender could not remove it.
This is a Dell laptop, no vista dvd included, just a stock recovery image,
and all of my dvds here are 64bit. Lappie has 32.
Thanks, Tony

> Tony Linguini expressed an opinion:
>> Thank you, tried that, download said " incorrect operating system" or
>> some such which loosely translated meant that Defender is built into
>> Vista.
>> Tony
>>

> After further research, try this:
>
> You need to go to "services.msc". Type that in from Start > Run and hit
> enter. Scroll down the list to the Windows Defender service, right click
> on it and select properties. In there change the settings for it to start
> automatically. You could also manually start the service at the same time.
> That should fix the error.
>
> If that doesn't work, you can try a System Restore.
>
> --
> KristleBawl
> At this point, chocolate is a viable alternative.
> Taglines by http://tagzilla.mozdev.org

KristleBawl

Re: Defender gone from Vista
Tony Linguini expressed an opinion:
> BTDTGTTS
> The files are actually GONE from program files/windows defender. It will
> not start manually or automagically.
> I believe the extortionware did that so defender could not remove it.
> This is a Dell laptop, no vista dvd included, just a stock recovery
> image, and all of my dvds here are 64bit. Lappie has 32.
> Thanks, Tony
>
> "KristleBawl" <KristleBawl@some.email> wrote in message
>> Tony Linguini expressed an opinion:
>>> Thank you, tried that, download said " incorrect operating system" or
>>> some such which loosely translated meant that Defender is built into
>>> Vista.
>>> Tony
>>>

>> After further research, try this:
>>
>> You need to go to "services.msc". Type that in from Start > Run and
>> hit enter. Scroll down the list to the Windows Defender service, right
>> click on it and select properties. In there change the settings for it
>> to start automatically. You could also manually start the service at
>> the same time. That should fix the error.
>>
>> If that doesn't work, you can try a System Restore.

Then you have to try the restore.

Backup all personal files (documents, etc) just to be safe.

Start Orb, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore.
FromTheRafters

Re: Defender gone from Vista
> My granddaughter's laptop got the eco (green) antivirus extortionware,
> and I manually removed it.

Some details may be needed here, but you would probably end up having to
reinstall the OS in the end anyway.

> It somehow removed the core files from Defender, and now it won't
> start or run. Suggestions? (besides a format please)

Reinstall the OS. On Vista, Defender is integrated IIRC.