Cannot download .exe

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

cfuqua

Cannot download .exe

The version of Vista I use, running IE7, cannot download .exes. My XP
computers, running IEs 7 and 8, and once 6, have never been so
irritating. (i'd say my faith in vista is dwindling, but it was never
there to begin with.)

I've tries to download many a .exe. This time, for reference, it's
Ventrilo. Certainly not a shady program - trusted by supposed millions.

When prompted, if I click Run, the file appears to download, but when
it has finished, the dialog box disappears and nothing else appears.
Ever.

When prompted, if I click Save, the file appears to download, but when
it has finished, the dialog box disappears and nothing else appears. Not
even the file, at the location I saved it.

There is no error message. There is no message of any sort. Repeated
attempts to download do nothing.

Renaming the download to .ok, or some other name (in anticipation of
renaming it to .exe once downloaded), as suggested in a previous thread,
does not work.

I have tried temporarily turning off certain securities, to no avail.
However, if you have -any- suggestion, please go ahead.

--
cfuqua
dinesh

Re: Cannot download .exe

Try a different browser like mozilla firefox.

--
dinesh

Ǝиçεl

RE: Cannot download .exe
SUPERAntiSpyware is worth a try as well.

<http://www.superantispyware.com/>

After the software is updated, it is suggested scanning the system in Safe
Mode.

SUPERAntiSpyware just put up a Online Safe Scan at
<http://www.superantispyware.com/onlinescan.html>
if you cannot install and/or run the current SUPERAntiSpyware product due to
an infection.
-=-

"cfuqua" wrote:

> The version of Vista I use, running IE7, cannot download .exes. My XP
> computers, running IEs 7 and 8, and once 6, have never been so
> irritating. (i'd say my faith in vista is dwindling, but it was never
> there to begin with.)
>

> I've tries to download many a .exe. This time, for reference, it's
> Ventrilo. Certainly not a shady program - trusted by supposed millions.
>
> When prompted, if I click Run, the file appears to download, but when
> it has finished, the dialog box disappears and nothing else appears.
> Ever.
>
> When prompted, if I click Save, the file appears to download, but when
> it has finished, the dialog box disappears and nothing else appears. Not
> even the file, at the location I saved it.
>
> There is no error message. There is no message of any sort. Repeated
> attempts to download do nothing.
>
> Renaming the download to .ok, or some other name (in anticipation of
> renaming it to .exe once downloaded), as suggested in a previous thread,
> does not work.
>
> I have tried temporarily turning off certain securities, to no avail.
> However, if you have -any- suggestion, please go ahead.
>

> --
> cfuqua
> .

Badger

Re: Cannot download .exe
Usually when you download an exe file it loads into Documents,

Have you looked there?

"cfuqua" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> The version of Vista I use, running IE7, cannot download .exes. My XP
> computers, running IEs 7 and 8, and once 6, have never been so
> irritating. (i'd say my faith in vista is dwindling, but it was never
> there to begin with.)
>

> I've tries to download many a .exe. This time, for reference, it's
> Ventrilo. Certainly not a shady program - trusted by supposed millions.
>
> When prompted, if I click Run, the file appears to download, but when
> it has finished, the dialog box disappears and nothing else appears.
> Ever.
>
> When prompted, if I click Save, the file appears to download, but when
> it has finished, the dialog box disappears and nothing else appears. Not
> even the file, at the location I saved it.
>
> There is no error message. There is no message of any sort. Repeated
> attempts to download do nothing.
>
> Renaming the download to .ok, or some other name (in anticipation of
> renaming it to .exe once downloaded), as suggested in a previous thread,
> does not work.
>
> I have tried temporarily turning off certain securities, to no avail.
> However, if you have -any- suggestion, please go ahead.
>

> --
> cfuqua

Jim

Re: Cannot download .exe

It d/l to whever you send it .

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 20:33:34 -0700, "Badger" <jerrymcm@msn.com> wrote:

>Usually when you download an exe file it loads into Documents,
>
>Have you looked there?
>

>"cfuqua" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>>
>> The version of Vista I use, running IE7, cannot download .exes. My XP
>> computers, running IEs 7 and 8, and once 6, have never been so
>> irritating. (i'd say my faith in vista is dwindling, but it was never
>> there to begin with.)
>>

>> I've tries to download many a .exe. This time, for reference, it's
>> Ventrilo. Certainly not a shady program - trusted by supposed millions.
>>
>> When prompted, if I click Run, the file appears to download, but when
>> it has finished, the dialog box disappears and nothing else appears.
>> Ever.
>>
>> When prompted, if I click Save, the file appears to download, but when
>> it has finished, the dialog box disappears and nothing else appears. Not
>> even the file, at the location I saved it.
>>
>> There is no error message. There is no message of any sort. Repeated
>> attempts to download do nothing.
>>
>> Renaming the download to .ok, or some other name (in anticipation of
>> renaming it to .exe once downloaded), as suggested in a previous thread,
>> does not work.
>>
>> I have tried temporarily turning off certain securities, to no avail.
>> However, if you have -any- suggestion, please go ahead.
>>

>> --
>> cfuqua

cfuqua

Re: Cannot download .exe

Right... let me just download it first.

/sarcasm

Please, can someone direct me to the options that fix this issue? The

Still searching,
cfuqua

--
cfuqua
cfuqua

Re: Cannot download .exe

I was able to circumvent this problem by creating a -new- Windows User
and using the Firefox that appeared on -that- account to download, and
allow all users to run the program.

Apparently Firefox comes with Vista, and was deleted from the account I
was trying to download from? I don't know, I don't prefer Vista - just
reporting in that _the_problem_was_solved_. (Sure, it's a bit of a weird
workaround, but at least I can download.)

--
cfuqua
dinesh

Re: Cannot download .exe