Windows Defender

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Feather is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Windows Defender
Hi,

Can anyone help me? I have Vista Home Premium 32 bit OS and am having problems with Windows Defender shutting itself off without me doing anything to it. I have read things about Windows Live Care Safety Scanner causing problems but this doesn't sort out my query as this scanner does not work with my IE8 browser and so have not got it installed.

Does anyone have ideas why my Windows Defender is shutting itself off?
MowGreen

Re: Windows Defender
Feather wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone help me? I have Vista Home Premium 32 bit OS and am having
> problems with Windows Defender shutting itself off without me doing
> anything to it. I have read things about Windows Live Care Safety
> Scanner causing problems but this doesn't sort out my query as this
> scanner does not work with my IE8 browser and so have not got it
> installed.
>
> Does anyone have ideas why my Windows Defender is shutting itself off?

Howdy Feather,

Does Defender shut off after the system is running or when you first
start it up ?

Windows Defender will be shut off when an antivirus/security suite is
installed that contains an antispyware component; there is an issue with
Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI); or, the system is infected and
the malware turns it off.

To see if this is a WMI issue, open an Elevated Command Prompt
( Click the Start orb; in the Start Search field enter
cmd
Under Programs, *right* click cmd.exe and choose 'Run as administrator'
Enter the password and click Continue. If none is used, click Continue)

At the prompt type in the below exactly as written and then press Enter

winmgmt /verifyrepository

If this message appears " WMI repository is not consistent ", then type
in the below and press Enter

winmgmt /salvagerepository

You may have to run the above command more than once before you receive
a Success message.
To close the Command Prompt type in
exit
Press Enter
Restart the system.

If the message states that the WMI repository is consistent, then
there's *no need* to attempt to salvage it.

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"

Feather is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Windows Defender
Hi MowGreen,

Thanks for the help. I have done some further research and now believe the problem lies with AVG 9.0 and the fact there is some incompatibility problem with it and Windows Defender. AVG 9.0 seems to switch Defender off. However, if I open and turn it on when I turn on my computer then it seems to work fine. It only switches off when I turn my computer off.

Feather
MowGreen

Re: Windows Defender
You're mowst welcome, Feather. Yes, AVG 9 contains
> Basic antivirus and antispyware protection for Windows

and it's shutting off Defender, which is what it's supposed to do.

Windows Defender is automatically turned off during installation
http://www.avg.com/us-en/faq.num-2672#faq_2672

" During the installation of AVG 9.0 products, the Microsoft Windows
Defender application will be automatically turned off.

Windows Defender is not removed from the computer, only disabled for the
time AVG is installed.

Please note that this is important to prevent conflicts between AVG and
Windows Defender. As they are both security applications, they will try
to check files you are working with. Since they will do that at the same
time, conflicts may arise. These can cause freezing, crashes or slowdown
of computer. It is generally not recommend to use more than one security
product on one computer. "

Actually, one can use more than one security product on the same
computer BUT only *one* of should be actively monitoring the system
(aka RealTime Protection).

So, if you want to manually update Defender so it can be used to *scan*
the system IF a malware issue arises, you can get it's latest definiton
file from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/po...tions/ADL.aspx

HTH

MowGreen