Vista recently has been loosened?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Octavio

Vista recently has been loosened?
I have Vista Ultimate.
Recently I have noticed that my Weborook Antispyware has been catching more
things, including one virus today, and I wonder if it is because I now have
att email (I used to have MSN dialup before) or if it is due to the new
updates made to it after Windows 7 was released, which might have loosened
its security or added new ways for spyware or malware to get in?
Please advise.

Mr. Arnold

Re: Vista recently has been loosened?
Octavio wrote:
> I have Vista Ultimate.
> Recently I have noticed that my Weborook Antispyware has been catching
> more things, including one virus today, and I wonder if it is because I
> now have att email (I used to have MSN dialup before) or if it is due to
> the new updates made to it after Windows 7 was released, which might
> have loosened its security or added new ways for spyware or malware to
> get in?

Nothing is bulletproof, and no, nothing has been loosened on Vista.

However, the easiest ways for malware to get to your machine is going to
dubious Web sites pointing and clicking and opening email from unknown
sources.

In other words, if malware is going to reach the machine, then the user
had involvement in it.

So don't point and click on everything under the Sun when surfing the
Internet and don't open emails from unknown sources, which goes a long
way in the preventing malware from reaching the machine.
Octavio

Re: Vista recently has been loosened?
Thanks, Mr. Arnold.

"Mr. Arnold" <Arnold@Arnold.com> wrote in message
> Octavio wrote:
>> I have Vista Ultimate.
>> Recently I have noticed that my Weborook Antispyware has been catching
>> more things, including one virus today, and I wonder if it is because I
>> now have att email (I used to have MSN dialup before) or if it is due to
>> the new updates made to it after Windows 7 was released, which might have
>> loosened its security or added new ways for spyware or malware to get in?

> Nothing is bulletproof, and no, nothing has been loosened on Vista.
>
> However, the easiest ways for malware to get to your machine is going to
> dubious Web sites pointing and clicking and opening email from unknown
> sources.
>
> In other words, if malware is going to reach the machine, then the user
> had involvement in it.
>
> So don't point and click on everything under the Sun when surfing the
> Internet and don't open emails from unknown sources, which goes a long way
> in the preventing malware from reaching the machine.

CrucialHoax

Re: Vista recently has been loosened?

Have you been doing anything different in your browsing? Going to
untrusted sites? Opening email attachments without knowing who they came
from? Main causes for virus spreading right there.

--
CrucialHoax
FromTheRafters

"Octavio" <inquirer@inquirer.com> wrote in message
>I have Vista Ultimate.
> Recently I have noticed that my Weborook Antispyware has been catching
> more things, including one virus today, and I wonder if it is because
> I now have att email (I used to have MSN dialup before) or if it is
> due to the new updates made to it after Windows 7 was released, which
> might have loosened its security or added new ways for spyware or
> malware to get in?
> Please advise.

Without knowing exactly what malware was found (and where), we will have
no way of knowing how it got in. A typical way to get in is to trick the
user into allowing it (either through the web browser, chat client, or
e-mail program). I would more easily believe that an update to the
antimalware is responsible for increased detections - or that you have
been getting more exposure than before (which couild be related to a new
e-mail address).