"DT GWY" in my Startup Item

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Octavio

"DT GWY" in my Startup Item
I have the following question, if this is not the Newsgroup to post it, can
you advise where I can post it?:

Today I noticed that after I got to my startup programs (thru msconfig) as
have as one of my items "DT GWY" and under the Manufacturer it says
"Unknown" and under Location it says
"HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Run"

I have Windows Vista Ultimate.

I Goggled the work DT GWY, and did not find any thing definitive of what it
really it, a reference or some to a Trojan, and just a lot of words that
would not mean much to a person who is not very familiar with these things,
like myself.

Can any one advise what this "DT GWY" is? I just unclicked its left box, so
it would not start when I restart the computer. If it is a bad Trojan or a
malware, how could I get rid of it?

I use Webrook Antispyware, but apparently it has not picked this thing yet
(Or it is not supposed to pick it?).

Thanks in advance.

FromTheRafters

Re: "DT GWY" in my Startup Item
Do you have a Gateway Portrait Display Monitor?

"Octavio" <inquirer@inquirer.com> wrote in message
>I have the following question, if this is not the Newsgroup to post it,
>can you advise where I can post it?:
>
> Today I noticed that after I got to my startup programs (thru
> msconfig) as have as one of my items "DT GWY" and under the
> Manufacturer it says "Unknown" and under Location it says
> "HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Run"
>
> I have Windows Vista Ultimate.
>
> I Goggled the work DT GWY, and did not find any thing definitive of
> what it really it, a reference or some to a Trojan, and just a lot of
> words that would not mean much to a person who is not very familiar
> with these things, like myself.
>
> Can any one advise what this "DT GWY" is? I just unclicked its left
> box, so it would not start when I restart the computer. If it is a
> bad Trojan or a malware, how could I get rid of it?
>
> I use Webrook Antispyware, but apparently it has not picked this thing
> yet (Or it is not supposed to pick it?).
>
> Thanks in advance.

Octavio

Re: "DT GWY" in my Startup Item
I do have a Gateway with a Portrait Display thing, bad purchase,
incidentally, it never worked really well, but do you think that that is
what it is?
If It is the Gateway, should I leave it on to start on startup, or should I
unclick it?

"FromTheRafters" <erratic @nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message
> Do you have a Gateway Portrait Display Monitor?
>
> "Octavio" <inquirer@inquirer.com> wrote in message
>>I have the following question, if this is not the Newsgroup to post it,
>>can you advise where I can post it?:
>>
>> Today I noticed that after I got to my startup programs (thru msconfig)
>> as have as one of my items "DT GWY" and under the Manufacturer it says
>> "Unknown" and under Location it says
>> "HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Run"
>>
>> I have Windows Vista Ultimate.
>>
>> I Goggled the work DT GWY, and did not find any thing definitive of what
>> it really it, a reference or some to a Trojan, and just a lot of words
>> that would not mean much to a person who is not very familiar with these
>> things, like myself.
>>
>> Can any one advise what this "DT GWY" is? I just unclicked its left box,
>> so it would not start when I restart the computer. If it is a bad
>> Trojan or a malware, how could I get rid of it?
>>
>> I use Webrook Antispyware, but apparently it has not picked this thing
>> yet (Or it is not supposed to pick it?).
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

FromTheRafters

Re: "DT GWY" in my Startup Item
First, using google to look up a start-up item will get you many
HiJackThis logs as a return. Since many people post HJT logs as a result
of trying to clear a malware infestation, you will start thinking that
this startup item is related to the malware that they are trying to rid
themselves of. HJT logs list what is there, and makes no judgement calls
(that is left to the analysts, and is the reason for that program being
so useful).

I could make a guess that this is a legitimate startup item, but it
would be best to submit the executable referenced to further scrutiny by
using Virustotal or Jotti online submission scanning.