Vista has taken the FUN out of computing.

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Paul

Vista has taken the FUN out of computing.
I have been using computers ever since they came out (It was my job). I have
built, repaired, and modified computers. I can program in several languages.
And my wife has a new HP with Vista. After reading the messages and pleas
for help in this newsgroup and others, if anyone will be honest enough,
they will agree that Vista has gone overboard with security. Vista has
sucked ALL the FUN out of computing. I surf the web all the time and with a
few precautions, I have never had any problems from hackers. Long story
short...I HOPE VISTA FAILS AND IS NOT ACCEPTED BY THE PUBLIC. From reading
this newsgroup and others, there are many, many dissatisfied customers.
When my ME and XP computers can no longer be repaired, if Vista is all that
is available, I will NEVER get on a computer again.
Paul

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

Re: Vista has taken the FUN out of computing.
"Paul" <Paul@SBCmetro.com> wrote in message
news:nz0%h.21060$Um6.7369@newssvr12.news.prodigy.n et...
>I have been using computers ever since they came out (It was my job). I
>have
> built, repaired, and modified computers. I can program in several
> languages.
> And my wife has a new HP with Vista. After reading the messages and pleas
> for help in this newsgroup and others, if anyone will be honest enough,
> they will agree that Vista has gone overboard with security. Vista has
> sucked ALL the FUN out of computing. I surf the web all the time and with
> few precautions, I have never had any problems from hackers. Long story
> short...I HOPE VISTA FAILS AND IS NOT ACCEPTED BY THE PUBLIC. From reading
> this newsgroup and others, there are many, many dissatisfied customers.
> When my ME and XP computers can no longer be repaired, if Vista is all
> that
> is available, I will NEVER get on a computer again.
> Paul

The biggest problem I foresee with Vista is loss of income from repairing
machines. Except for the idiots that manage to turn off UAC.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com

norm

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM wrote:
> "Paul" <Paul@SBCmetro.com> wrote in message
> news:nz0%h.21060$Um6.7369@newssvr12.news.prodigy.n et...
>> I have been using computers ever since they came out (It was my job). I
>> have
>> built, repaired, and modified computers. I can program in several
>> languages.
>> And my wife has a new HP with Vista. After reading the messages and pleas
>> for help in this newsgroup and others, if anyone will be honest enough,
>> they will agree that Vista has gone overboard with security. Vista has
>> sucked ALL the FUN out of computing. I surf the web all the time and with
>> few precautions, I have never had any problems from hackers. Long story
>> short...I HOPE VISTA FAILS AND IS NOT ACCEPTED BY THE PUBLIC. From reading
>> this newsgroup and others, there are many, many dissatisfied customers.
>> When my ME and XP computers can no longer be repaired, if Vista is all
>> that
>> is available, I will NEVER get on a computer again.
>> Paul
>>

> The biggest problem I foresee with Vista is loss of income from repairing
> machines. Except for the idiots that manage to turn off UAC.

Should I not get a copy because there is no need to have one for repair
reference? Or should I should get a copy for reference, as there is no
short supply of idiots? (Fwiw, I need to replace my rc2 copy soon,
anyway).
--
norm
Richard Urban

Re: Vista has taken the FUN out of computing.
Wow! You are so perceptive. You read a Microsoft ***HELP*** group and deduct
that there are many people having problems. You should be a detective!!!

Would you expect to find multitudes of people posting here with praise for
Vista?

Steve Thackery

Re: Vista has taken the FUN out of computing.
How many have posted complaints here, do you think? A couple of hundred?
(Don't forget lots of moans come from the same hardcore of naysayers).

What about the 20+ million users who have NOT posted complaints here? Sure,
not all of them will be satisfied, but a heck of a lot will be.

Steve

Re: Vista has taken the FUN out of computing.
Well, do you realize just how stupid your comments sound. For crying out
loud, I bet you were a lousy computer tech. I guess you have just gotten to
old to learn anything new. There is a learning curve, you just are to lazy
to do it. ugh! I also have a new HP laptop with Vista, and its the
greatest thing since sliced bread. There was and is a learning curve, and I
have set it up to look a lot like XP and other than wading through some of
the security items, which I have now learned, it really works well. The
security items are a necessity these days, even Apple is having their
problems now.

"Paul" <Paul@SBCmetro.com> wrote in message
news:nz0%h.21060$Um6.7369@newssvr12.news.prodigy.n et...
>I have been using computers ever since they came out (It was my job). I
>have
> built, repaired, and modified computers. I can program in several
> languages.
> And my wife has a new HP with Vista. After reading the messages and pleas
> for help in this newsgroup and others, if anyone will be honest enough,
> they will agree that Vista has gone overboard with security. Vista has
> sucked ALL the FUN out of computing. I surf the web all the time and with
> few precautions, I have never had any problems from hackers. Long story
> short...I HOPE VISTA FAILS AND IS NOT ACCEPTED BY THE PUBLIC. From reading
> this newsgroup and others, there are many, many dissatisfied customers.
> When my ME and XP computers can no longer be repaired, if Vista is all
> that
> is available, I will NEVER get on a computer again.
> Paul

CB

Re: Vista has taken the FUN out of computing.
The main reason I purchased Vista was security. UAC is not an
inconvenience for me. It is no different than getting used to wearing a seat
belt or a hard hat. If UAC bothers you turn it off.
Some applications have difficulty with Vista because they are
programmed to do things they should not be allowed to do without consent.
Many other programs are incompatible because the companies had no foresight
or their marketing divisions and development teams have been sleeping.
Sometimes there are incompatibilities only because someone has made a
mistake. I have made many mistakes in my life and in my work. Have you?
I have had problems with Vista but I must admit they were of my own
making due to a lack of knowledge or simply sheer stupidity. I have learned
from my mistakes. I agree that there are some bugs with the Vista operating
system but that is the price you must pay for advancements in technology.
These problems will be overcome but you must be patient.
Instead of badmouthing the OS, whether the problems are real or
perceived, I am in awe of the people who have the intellignece and insight to
make this technology work. I have nothing but respect for them. I also
appreciate the fact that there are many knowledgeable people in these forums
who are willing to sacrifice their own free time for the benefit of those of
us needing help with our problems. I would like to take this opportunity to
thank them.
If you choose to use modern technology to make your life easier and
provide yourself with more free time you must accept the fact that everything
is not going to work perfectly all the time. If Vista is too frustrating or
aggravating you are free to resort to pen and paper if you wish. Problems
solved.

"K" wrote:

> Well, do you realize just how stupid your comments sound. For crying out
> loud, I bet you were a lousy computer tech. I guess you have just gotten to
> old to learn anything new. There is a learning curve, you just are to lazy
> to do it. ugh! I also have a new HP laptop with Vista, and its the
> greatest thing since sliced bread. There was and is a learning curve, and I
> have set it up to look a lot like XP and other than wading through some of
> the security items, which I have now learned, it really works well. The
> security items are a necessity these days, even Apple is having their
> problems now.

> "Paul" <Paul@SBCmetro.com> wrote in message
> news:nz0%h.21060$Um6.7369@newssvr12.news.prodigy.n et...
> >I have been using computers ever since they came out (It was my job). I
> >have
> > built, repaired, and modified computers. I can program in several
> > languages.
> > And my wife has a new HP with Vista. After reading the messages and pleas
> > for help in this newsgroup and others, if anyone will be honest enough,
> > they will agree that Vista has gone overboard with security. Vista has
> > sucked ALL the FUN out of computing. I surf the web all the time and with
> > few precautions, I have never had any problems from hackers. Long story
> > short...I HOPE VISTA FAILS AND IS NOT ACCEPTED BY THE PUBLIC. From reading
> > this newsgroup and others, there are many, many dissatisfied customers.
> > When my ME and XP computers can no longer be repaired, if Vista is all
> > that
> > is available, I will NEVER get on a computer again.
> > Paul

Rock

Re: Vista has taken the FUN out of computing.
"Paul" wrote
>I have been using computers ever since they came out (It was my job). I
>have
> built, repaired, and modified computers. I can program in several
> languages.
> And my wife has a new HP with Vista. After reading the messages and pleas
> for help in this newsgroup and others, if anyone will be honest enough,
> they will agree that Vista has gone overboard with security. Vista has
> sucked ALL the FUN out of computing. I surf the web all the time and with
> few precautions, I have never had any problems from hackers. Long story
> short...I HOPE VISTA FAILS AND IS NOT ACCEPTED BY THE PUBLIC. From reading
> this newsgroup and others, there are many, many dissatisfied customers.
> When my ME and XP computers can no longer be repaired, if Vista is all
> that
> is available, I will NEVER get on a computer again.

Taken the fun out? Hmm, I have fun with it, I had fun with XP, I have fun
with computers. I view UAC as giving me control over what is happening
instead of any program that wants to run as admin being allowed to. I get
many fewer UAC prompts now that the system is set up. I don't think it has
gone far enough for security. MS made too many concessions to the software
authors for compatibility with older software.

I wonder what one would think if they stopped by an hospital emergency room.
Would you think everyone in the world is having a health crises because you
visit a place people go when they have a health problem?

Have fun not computing, but let me give you a tip, they are not going away.
By the way MS profits are up something like 64% this last quarter because of
Vista and Office.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Iuvenalis

Re: Vista has taken the FUN out of computing.
"Paul" <Paul@SBCmetro.com> wrote in message
news:nz0%h.21060$Um6.7369@newssvr12.news.prodigy.n et...
>I have been using computers ever since they came out (It was my job). I
>have
> built, repaired, and modified computers. I can program in several
> languages.
> And my wife has a new HP with Vista. After reading the messages and pleas
> for help in this newsgroup and others, if anyone will be honest enough,
> they will agree that Vista has gone overboard with security. Vista has
> sucked ALL the FUN out of computing. I surf the web all the time and with
> few precautions, I have never had any problems from hackers. Long story
> short...I HOPE VISTA FAILS AND IS NOT ACCEPTED BY THE PUBLIC. From reading
> this newsgroup and others, there are many, many dissatisfied customers.
> When my ME and XP computers can no longer be repaired, if Vista is all
> that
> is available, I will NEVER get on a computer again.
> Paul

Are you refering to UAC?
If so, I just don't get many pop ups while using the machine & I run
primarilr DVD ripping, audio ripping, video (Xvid) conversion & audio
conversion apps, graphics apps, Flight Sim X, burning, email & browsers etc.
I don't know UAC is there.

I run Crap cleaner before shut down = 1 x pop up.
I run Acronis True Image weekly = 1 pop up.
I open event viewer if I think there may be a problem worth viewing (very
rarely) = 1 x pop up.

This is a month old HP laptop too.
Admittedly, I'm not using the copy of Vista HP included as it was infested
with bundled apps incl. Norton...I put on my own copy of Ultimate.
But that's the fault of HP not Vista.

All in all, I am very pleased with Vista, it gets a lot of use with no
problems.

Mike Hall MVP

Re: Vista has taken the FUN out of computing.
Amazing words from somebody as experienced as you claim to be..

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User