Power User vs. Normal User?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Justin

Power User vs. Normal User?
Running Vista 64 Ultimate.
I have the machine set up for my Parents and everyone runs as Power User.
The reason is, sometimes Java will want to update and constantly bring
up the UAC warning. I would rather Java just update and be done with it.
I used to disable the Java update, but when I did that sometimes
eBay/Paypal's shipping label printer wouldn't work. I notice the same
thing on my Mac as well so I think Paypal wants the latest version of
Java pretty much constantly.

How big of a security risk is this? Is there another solution? I would
rather not take everyone down to just a plain User, but if this is a
gross security violation I'll do exactly that.
FromTheRafters

Re: Power User vs. Normal User?
Having everyone run elevated is a bad security practice generally. Not
keeping Java updated is a *huge* security risk IMO.

That said, I'm not too familiar with Java's update process in Vista so I
can't help you.

FromTheRafters wrote:
> Having everyone run elevated is a bad security practice generally. Not
> keeping Java updated is a *huge* security risk IMO.
>
> That said, I'm not too familiar with Java's update process in Vista so I
> can't help you.

Thanks.
I think?

Java's updater is a royal pain in the ass. It fires up, and then when
it installs it tries to trick you into installing the Yahoo Toolbar.
Sun really missed the mark on that one.