Cannot use "Run As"

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Augie

Cannot use "Run As"
Hi all,
I have just received a new workstation on the job with Vista on it. When I
log on as a user I some times need to run software with admin rights so I
usually use "run as" by right clicking the file. When I do this in Vista a
"run as administrator" is available but I am not prompt to set any
credentials and the software does not run. Which settings I need to check? I
also can log on as admin using another profile.
Thanks for your help

Gahawy

Re: Cannot use "Run As"
If you are logged on as a standard user, you will be prompted for
credentials, other wise, If you need to be asked for credentials even if you
are logged on as an admin, you need to change a group policy stting, it
depende on which Vista editio you are using, in fact it should be bussiness
or higher.
To make this configuration follow the following steps:-
1- In the Run box type "gpedit.msc" and press enter. The Group policy object
editor will open
2-browse to (Computer configuration - windows settings - Security settings -
local policy - security options)
3- on the right pane, near the end, look for a setting named "User Account
control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in admin
approval mode"
4- Double click this setting and configure it to "Prompt for credentials"
instead of the default "Prompt for consent"

"Augie" <nav@rocketmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I have just received a new workstation on the job with Vista on it. When I
> log on as a user I some times need to run software with admin rights so I
> usually use "run as" by right clicking the file. When I do this in Vista a
> "run as administrator" is available but I am not prompt to set any
> credentials and the software does not run. Which settings I need to check?
> I also can log on as admin using another profile.
> Thanks for your help

t-4-2

Re: Cannot use "Run As"
SPAM.

t-4-2

"Gahawy" <gahawy@link.net> wrote in message
> If you are logged on as a standard user, you will be prompted for
> credentials, other wise, If you need to be asked for credentials even if
> you
> are logged on as an admin, you need to change a group policy stting, it
> depende on which Vista editio you are using, in fact it should be
> bussiness
> or higher.
> To make this configuration follow the following steps:-
> 1- In the Run box type "gpedit.msc" and press enter. The Group policy
> object
> editor will open
> 2-browse to (Computer configuration - windows settings - Security
> settings -
> local policy - security options)
> 3- on the right pane, near the end, look for a setting named "User Account
> control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in admin
> approval mode"
> 4- Double click this setting and configure it to "Prompt for credentials"
> instead of the default "Prompt for consent"

Paul Adare

Re: Cannot use "Run As"
On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 09:56:23 -0400, t-4-2 wrote:

> SPAM.

What is your problem? It most certainly is not SPAM.

--
Paul Adare
MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
t-4-2

Re: Cannot use "Run As"
Vista Home Premium 32-bit, SP2, IE8, WLM 14.0.0726
What is my problem ?
For one, my OS does not have Group Policy.
For two, typing gpedit.msc on Run box gave me error message : windows cannot
find 'gpedit.msc '.
Perhaps you can explain that.

t-4-2

"Paul Adare" <pkadare@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1ka83qoyfo5gi$.tuo8h38dd7sb$.dlg@40tude.net.. .
> On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 09:56:23 -0400, t-4-2 wrote:
>
>> SPAM.

> What is your problem? It most certainly is not SPAM.
>
> --
> Paul Adare
> MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
> http://www.identit.ca

Gahawy

Re: Cannot use "Run As"
Gpedit.msc will only run on Vista Bussiness or higher.

Concerning Home Premium, the following URL will help you so much.

http://netsecurity.about.com/od/step.../homeuac_4.htm

"t-4-2" <dhuang1@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
> Vista Home Premium 32-bit, SP2, IE8, WLM 14.0.0726
> What is my problem ?
> For one, my OS does not have Group Policy.
> For two, typing gpedit.msc on Run box gave me error message : windows
> cannot find 'gpedit.msc '.
> Perhaps you can explain that.
>
> t-4-2
>

> "Paul Adare" <pkadare@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1ka83qoyfo5gi$.tuo8h38dd7sb$.dlg@40tude.net.. .
>> On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 09:56:23 -0400, t-4-2 wrote:
>>
>>> SPAM.

>> What is your problem? It most certainly is not SPAM.
>>
>> --
>> Paul Adare
>> MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
>> http://www.identit.ca

Paul Adare

Re: Cannot use "Run As"
On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 15:25:42 -0400, t-4-2 wrote:

> Vista Home Premium 32-bit, SP2, IE8, WLM 14.0.0726
> What is my problem ?
> For one, my OS does not have Group Policy.
> For two, typing gpedit.msc on Run box gave me error message : windows cannot
> find 'gpedit.msc '.
> Perhaps you can explain that.

Gpedit.msc only comes with Vista Business and above. Just because you don't
know that fact does not in any way make someone else's post here SPAM.

Gahawy was correct and you were completely wrong and your characterization
of his response was uncalled for.