free security software?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

slarke

free security software?
What is the most recomended free security software for vista
Bob

Re: free security software?
Avast http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html, Windows Firewall and
Windows Defender will do the job for you.

"slarke" <slak@liferocks.com> wrote in message
> What is the most recomended free security software for vista

Richard G. Harper

Re: free security software?
Microsoft Security Essentials.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_es...s/default.aspx

"slarke" <slak@liferocks.com> wrote in message
> What is the most recomended free security software for vista

Michael D. Ober

Re: free security software?
"slarke" <slak@liferocks.com> wrote in message
> What is the most recomended free security software for vista

Panda Anti-Virus (www.pandasoftware.com)

Michael D. Ober

Re: free security software?
"Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Microsoft Security Essentials.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/security_es...s/default.aspx
>
> "slarke" <slak@liferocks.com> wrote in message
>> What is the most recomended free security software for vista

This also supports Windows 7.

Beckett

Re: free security software?
On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 17:21:32 +1100, "slarke" <slak@liferocks.com>
wrote:

>What is the most recomended free security software for vista

Avira Free
Malwarebytes Free
Spywareblaster Free (pe-emptive blocking only)
Spybot S&D Free
A-Squared Free
Super Anti-Spyware Free
Windows Defender (installed with Vista and Win7)
Use a hosts file to pre-emptivley block bad sites
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

On Win7 I use Avira, Spywareblaster, Malwarebytes, Defender, and a
hosts file.

NT Canuck

Re: free security software?
"slarke" <slak@liferocks.com> wrote in message

> What is the most recomended free security software for vista

Simple, it's all in the OS already.

1. use the Windows firewall (3rd party may work
but make sure they have their own support/forum).

2. keep the OS uptodate with MU (Microsoft Updates..auto)

3. read and send all email in plain text (may require different email)

4. do not open attachments period...unless explicitly
expecting one in plain text or zip from a known source.
Also send 'on demand' not automatic...save some folks.

5. set browser without cookies, no scripting, no Java, no flash.
(session cookies tolerable..but not all obey conventions)

6. do not click on anything you don't "know" where it's going.

7. use an A/V but not actually so important if you followed above.

8. do not install anything off the web not necessary...drivers
only from manufacturer site, same with software.

9. don't kid yourself, no A/V or spyware/Trojan blocker
gives your computer or OS any actual 'immunity'.

10. if you don't follow the above, nothing will be good enough.

The Windows MSSE isn't too bad, not really much worse
than the others for free or paid (none of them confer any
actual immunity...some are downright ransomware).

Times are changing and threats online and off are
accelerating at rates both in numbers and complexity.
Not just a little bit...at rates that no single application
or manufacturer can even pretend to deflect or capture.

Make sure you keep the keys/data to enable any
purchased software (also copy of software) on
a backup CD or "disconnected" hard drive, also
do same for any important data/office/business
programs and letters/email. Nothing is immune.

'Seek and ye shall find'
NT Canuck

Ǝиçεl

RE: free security software?
http://www.techsupportalert.com/pc/security-tools.html

"slarke" wrote:

> What is the most recomended free security software for vista
> .

Hans Broesicke

Re: free security software?
On Oct 19, 2:26*am, "Bob" <b...@nowhere.net> wrote:
> Avasthttp://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html, *Windows Firewall and
> Windows Defender will do the job for you.
>
> "slarke" <s...@liferocks.com> wrote in message

> > What is the most recomended free security software for vista

Windows Firewall is just that, a firewall. Defender is an anti-spyware
program. I think the OP was asking about AV software. To that question
I think MS is offering FREE AV software to all Windows users now.
Here's a write up on it:

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/10...ty-essentials/

You can download it free here:
http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/
malfunction44

Re: free security software?

NT Canuk:

Very good advice.

(A) Will websites (e.g. ecommerce) work without scripting?

(B) If a malicious party had access to the windows source code and also
full access with unlimited time and resources to modify the windows
system image at the point of manufacture, could they modify the Vista
kernel to bypass Outbound firewalls so that malware can call home?

thanks,

malfunction44
malfunction44's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/161071.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-security/1260143.htm