MS Security Essentials

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

t-4-2

MS Security Essentials
Vista Home premium SP2, IE8, WLM
I have Avast! and Spybot Search&Destroy.
Would like to hear opinions about MS Security Essentials.
If I do decide to install MSSE, do I need to uninstall what I have ?

t-4-2
Richard Urban

Re: MS Security Essentials
"t-4-2" <dhuang1@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
> Vista Home premium SP2, IE8, WLM
> I have Avast! and Spybot Search&Destroy.
> Would like to hear opinions about MS Security Essentials.
> If I do decide to install MSSE, do I need to uninstall what I have ?
>
> t-4-2

No matter which antivirus program you use - you only want one program
running as the resident, real time, protection.

You can install Microsoft Security Essentials and then disable the real time
protection. You can then "try" to install another program of your choice.
Note that many check for previous programs and will refuse to install if one
is present.

I have installed MSE on my computers and on every computer I have worked on
for the past 6 weeks.

I have gone to some really nasty web sites - on purpose - just to see how it
does. So far my personal computer remains clean - to my knowledge. But
remember, no one can claim that they are 100% certain that there are no "bad
boys" lurking in the depths of their operating system. There could be root
kits that we are unaware of and are not detected by anyone, as of yet.

After going to these sites and then using the computer for a few days - I
revert back to a known clean image - one that was built up without visiting
any web site. The only activity was to use Windows Update from within either
Vista or Windows 7.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

Jim

Re: MS Security Essentials
On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 00:14:36 -0400, "t-4-2" <dhuang1@cogeco.ca> wrote:

>Vista Home premium SP2, IE8, WLM
>I have Avast! and Spybot Search&Destroy.
>Would like to hear opinions about MS Security Essentials.
>If I do decide to install MSSE, do I need to uninstall what I have ?
>
>t-4-2

Yes , which is why I`m keeping what I have installed .
t-4-2

Re: MS Security Essentials
Thank you.
t-4-2

> "t-4-2" <dhuang1@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
>> Vista Home premium SP2, IE8, WLM
>> I have Avast! and Spybot Search&Destroy.
>> Would like to hear opinions about MS Security Essentials.
>> If I do decide to install MSSE, do I need to uninstall what I have ?
>>
>> t-4-2

> No matter which antivirus program you use - you only want one program
> running as the resident, real time, protection.
>
> You can install Microsoft Security Essentials and then disable the real
> time protection. You can then "try" to install another program of your
> choice. Note that many check for previous programs and will refuse to
> install if one is present.
>
> I have installed MSE on my computers and on every computer I have worked
> on for the past 6 weeks.
>
> I have gone to some really nasty web sites - on purpose - just to see how
> it does. So far my personal computer remains clean - to my knowledge. But
> remember, no one can claim that they are 100% certain that there are no
> "bad boys" lurking in the depths of their operating system. There could be
> root kits that we are unaware of and are not detected by anyone, as of
> yet.
>
> After going to these sites and then using the computer for a few days - I
> revert back to a known clean image - one that was built up without
> visiting any web site. The only activity was to use Windows Update from
> within either Vista or Windows 7.
>
> --
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Desktop Experience & Security

Hank Arnold

Re: MS Security Essentials
t-4-2 wrote:
> Vista Home premium SP2, IE8, WLM
> I have Avast! and Spybot Search&Destroy.
> Would like to hear opinions about MS Security Essentials.
> If I do decide to install MSSE, do I need to uninstall what I have ?
>
> t-4-2

You shouldn't have more than one AV program installed.

From what I've read so far, the only reason to switch from an existing
program would be that MSSE is free.

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold
Michael D. Ober

Re: MS Security Essentials
"Hank Arnold" <rasilon@aol.com> wrote in message

> t-4-2 wrote:
>> Vista Home premium SP2, IE8, WLM
>> I have Avast! and Spybot Search&Destroy.
>> Would like to hear opinions about MS Security Essentials.
>> If I do decide to install MSSE, do I need to uninstall what I have ?
>>
>> t-4-2

> You shouldn't have more than one AV program installed.
>
> From what I've read so far, the only reason to switch from an existing
> program would be that MSSE is free.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
> Hank Arnold
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Server - Directory Services
> http://mypcassistant.blogspot.com/

Windows 7 Support. Not all the AV vendors have their Windows 7 versions
ready.

Mike Ober.

Beckett

Re: MS Security Essentials
On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 04:32:14 -0400, Hank Arnold <rasilon@aol.com>
wrote:

> From what I've read so far, the only reason to switch from an existing
>program would be that MSSE is free.

So is Avira, Avast and AVG. I was using MSSE but have gone back to
Avira now because it is lighter on resources and also gets very high
marks for detection rate.
NT Canuck

Re: MS Security Essentials
"t-4-2" <dhuang1@cogeco.ca> wrote in message

> Vista Home premium SP2, IE8, WLM

> I have Avast! and Spybot Search&Destroy.
> Would like to hear opinions about MS Security Essentials.
> If I do decide to install MSSE, do I need to uninstall what I have ?

I can tell you that Avast keeps a log separate under the
eventlog viewer, and if it crashes (which it will sooner
or later just as they all do) you can goto the add/remove
programs and 'repair' the critter...but only limps then if
under a real attack/corruption/invasion.

Spybot isn't much better, nothing can by itself sustain
against a cavalier attitude online, you must be vigilant,
and even then...keep a full backup of OS/programs off
the HDD and place on DVD or separated HDD.

Avast doesn't uninstall clean...leaves about 200
registry entries behind (that can leave problems)
Spybot leaves around 70 entries in registry.
Every time you install/trial/test an A/V or spyware/
Trojan program they cut, slice, and dice their
way into the registry often altering legitimate
pathways and hooking all kinds of processes.

Those items need to be diligently cleaned even
after an uninstal...folders, files, and entries..
there is no auto anything that does this correctly.
A 'clean slate' is absolutely essential for the
installation and running of any new/different
A/V or spy/Trojan program...or that can cause
problems just as severe as any infection.

'Seek and ye shall find'
NT Canuck

Hans Broesicke

Re: MS Security Essentials
On Oct 17, 10:14*pm, "t-4-2" <dhua...@cogeco.ca> wrote:
> Vista Home premium SP2, IE8, WLM
> I have Avast! and Spybot Search&Destroy.
> Would like to hear opinions about MS Security Essentials.
> If I do decide to install MSSE, do I need to uninstall what I have ?
>
> t-4-2

Probably a good idea to get rid of Avast and only have 1 AV program
running.