AntiSpyware Real-Time Protection

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

JamesJ

AntiSpyware Real-Time Protection
Is it wise to have more than 1 antispyware program performing real-time
protection
at one time?

James

Malke

Re: AntiSpyware Real-Time Protection
JamesJ wrote:

> Is it wise to have more than 1 antispyware program performing real-time
> protection
> at one time?

No. Have one antivirus and one antispyware (you have Windows Defender built
into Vista) running and that's it.

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...h_Security.pdf

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Tae Song

"JamesJ" <jjy_darwin@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
> Is it wise to have more than 1 antispyware program performing real-time
> protection
> at one time?
>
> James

It uses more resources and some instances they can conflict. I had one user
using AVG and a Korean AV software. It prevented them from using IE...
although in some ways that could be considered a very strong virus
protection, but not feasible.

On the other hand, one antivirus software might catch what the other one
missed.

Is it worth having two antivirus programs... I don't think so. You can, but
I don't think it's worth it.

FromTheRafters

Re: AntiSpyware Real-Time Protection
"JamesJ" <jjy_darwin@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
> Is it wise to have more than 1 antispyware program performing
> real-time protection at one time?

No. Although it is possible to have two antispyware programs (that
operate differently to provide such real-time protection) coexist
peacefully on one machine, it is almost the same situation as having two
on-access antivirus scanners running - which is decidedly *not*
recommended.

Best to have 0 - 1 real-time and as many as desired on demand.

JamesJ

Re: AntiSpyware Real-Time Protection
If my antivirus software also has antispyware real-time protecton, I then
should
turn off Windows Defender?

James

> JamesJ wrote:
>
>> Is it wise to have more than 1 antispyware program performing real-time
>> protection
>> at one time?

> No. Have one antivirus and one antispyware (you have Windows Defender
> built
> into Vista) running and that's it.
>
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...h_Security.pdf
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

KristleBawl

JamesJ wrote:
> Is it wise to have more than 1 antispyware program performing real-time
> protection
> at one time?
>
> James

I have Windows defender and one AV program running, and my other
AntiMalware programs are set to manual only, so I can run individual
scans on demand.
JamesJ

Re: AntiSpyware Real-Time Protection
Ok. One should do manual scans with more than 1 AntiMalware program?

Thanks,
James

"KristleBawl" <KristleBawl@some.email> wrote in message
> JamesJ wrote:
>> Is it wise to have more than 1 antispyware program performing real-time
>> protection
>> at one time?
>>
>> James

> I have Windows defender and one AV program running, and my other
> AntiMalware programs are set to manual only, so I can run individual scans
> on demand.

JamesJ

Re: AntiSpyware Real-Time Protection
Got it.

Thanks,
James

"Tae Song" <tae_song@hotmail.com> wrote in message
newsE196181-8EC3-4F51-B9AA-81403261E86E@microsoft.com...

> "JamesJ" <jjy_darwin@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>> Is it wise to have more than 1 antispyware program performing real-time
>> protection
>> at one time?
>>
>> James

> It uses more resources and some instances they can conflict. I had one
> user using AVG and a Korean AV software. It prevented them from using
> IE... although in some ways that could be considered a very strong virus
> protection, but not feasible.
>
> On the other hand, one antivirus software might catch what the other one
> missed.
>
> Is it worth having two antivirus programs... I don't think so. You can,
> but I don't think it's worth it.

lemur

Re: AntiSpyware Real-Time Protection

NO!

--
lemur

::If *ANYONE* in this forum helps you, please click on
their *REP* icon. Thanks! (the middle scale icon in the upper right
corner)::