Windows 7 / Vista loses local resources when connected to VPN

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Alasdair

Windows 7 / Vista loses local resources when connected to VPN
When connected to a pptp VPN resources on the local domain are
inconsistantly available. Previously with XP they were always available even
if connected to a VPN.

What has changed?

Printing:
From win 7, I can print to a Lan printer shared on the server (2008)
Once connected to a remote VPN (windows 2003 pptp), the print que says
"Accessed Denied" when trying to print to the same printer.
With XP printing was still possible to the Lan even though connected to a VPN.

Mapped Drives:
Sometime they work, sometimes they don't. If I have a mapped drive to a
local file server once connected to the VPN I can't list the contents of
drive, or access any of the files.
Other times even with a VPN connected I can acess the files. If you access
the drive before opening the VPN this seems to help.

I thought it may be a DNS issue but I have added the server to my hosts
file. The host name resolves correctly even after an "ipconfig /flushdns".

Does windows 7 need to resolve service records on the local AD dns server
before passing on credentials? The order of accessing DNS servers is the
remote VPN DNS server first and then the local DNS server second. Is this why
I can always print to a local printer that I installed using its IP address,
whilst connected to a VPN, which then prompted me for credentials. I assume
the credentials were stored locally, making them always available no matter
what the order of DNS servers were.

Once connected to a VPN why can't Vista/Win7 always print/access local
resources?
Connected to the same VPNs XP could always access local recources.
Whats changed?

--
Alasdair
Paul Koene

RE: Windows 7 / Vista loses local resources when connected to VPN
I am having the same issue. On top of that I also have the problem that I
cannot use a local SQLServer when connected to a PPTP VPN. The problem lies
in the DNS behavior I think. For some reason Windows 7 (and also Vista) start
using the VPN DNS Servers as the primary DNS Servers instead of the local
servers. This often also gives me trouble using the internet when I have a
PPTP VPN open as I usually uncheck the option to use the external gateway as
default gateway.

"Alasdair" wrote:

> When connected to a pptp VPN resources on the local domain are
> inconsistantly available. Previously with XP they were always available even
> if connected to a VPN.
>
> What has changed?
>
> Printing:
> From win 7, I can print to a Lan printer shared on the server (2008)
> Once connected to a remote VPN (windows 2003 pptp), the print que says
> "Accessed Denied" when trying to print to the same printer.
> With XP printing was still possible to the Lan even though connected to a VPN.
>

> Mapped Drives:
> Sometime they work, sometimes they don't. If I have a mapped drive to a
> local file server once connected to the VPN I can't list the contents of
> drive, or access any of the files.
> Other times even with a VPN connected I can acess the files. If you access
> the drive before opening the VPN this seems to help.
>
> I thought it may be a DNS issue but I have added the server to my hosts
> file. The host name resolves correctly even after an "ipconfig /flushdns".
>
> Does windows 7 need to resolve service records on the local AD dns server
> before passing on credentials? The order of accessing DNS servers is the
> remote VPN DNS server first and then the local DNS server second. Is this why
> I can always print to a local printer that I installed using its IP address,
> whilst connected to a VPN, which then prompted me for credentials. I assume
> the credentials were stored locally, making them always available no matter
> what the order of DNS servers were.
>
> Once connected to a VPN why can't Vista/Win7 always print/access local
> resources?
> Connected to the same VPNs XP could always access local recources.
> Whats changed?
>
> --
> Alasdair

thent

Re: Windows 7 / Vista loses local resources when connected to VPN

Same Problem.

--
thent
Michael Ober

Re: Windows 7 / Vista loses local resources when connected to VPN
Is the VPN going to the same VPN server and do XP based VPN tunnels still
work the same way. What you're experiencing is call Split-Tunnelling. Most
VPN servers turn this off by default for security reasons. When
Split-Tunnelling is off it directs the client to replace the routing table
with a new routing table that forces all network traffic through the tunnel.
When Split-Tunnelling is on, the VPN's routing table is simply appended to
the existing routing table.

If you post the results of "route print" and "ipconfig" here both with the
VPN running and without it running I'll can take a look. Also post the
output for the XP system with and without the VPN running.

Mike.

"Alasdair" <Alasdair@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsD5353B3-42B4-4622-8DEF-D1489493BBE5@microsoft.com...
> When connected to a pptp VPN resources on the local domain are
> inconsistantly available. Previously with XP they were always available
> even
> if connected to a VPN.
>
> What has changed?
>
> Printing:
> From win 7, I can print to a Lan printer shared on the server (2008)
> Once connected to a remote VPN (windows 2003 pptp), the print que says
> "Accessed Denied" when trying to print to the same printer.
> With XP printing was still possible to the Lan even though connected to a
> VPN.
>

> Mapped Drives:
> Sometime they work, sometimes they don't. If I have a mapped drive to a
> local file server once connected to the VPN I can't list the contents of
> drive, or access any of the files.
> Other times even with a VPN connected I can acess the files. If you access
> the drive before opening the VPN this seems to help.
>
> I thought it may be a DNS issue but I have added the server to my hosts
> file. The host name resolves correctly even after an "ipconfig /flushdns".
>
> Does windows 7 need to resolve service records on the local AD dns server
> before passing on credentials? The order of accessing DNS servers is the
> remote VPN DNS server first and then the local DNS server second. Is this
> why
> I can always print to a local printer that I installed using its IP
> address,
> whilst connected to a VPN, which then prompted me for credentials. I
> assume
> the credentials were stored locally, making them always available no
> matter
> what the order of DNS servers were.
>
> Once connected to a VPN why can't Vista/Win7 always print/access local
> resources?
> Connected to the same VPNs XP could always access local recources.
> Whats changed?
>
> --
> Alasdair

Artyom

Re: Windows 7 / Vista loses local resources when connected to VPN
I have the same problem! Somebody - help(

When i start VPN, win 7 go on local network with username which input in VPN
SESSION!

"Michael Ober" wrote:

> Is the VPN going to the same VPN server and do XP based VPN tunnels still
> work the same way. What you're experiencing is call Split-Tunnelling. Most
> VPN servers turn this off by default for security reasons. When
> Split-Tunnelling is off it directs the client to replace the routing table
> with a new routing table that forces all network traffic through the tunnel.
> When Split-Tunnelling is on, the VPN's routing table is simply appended to
> the existing routing table.
>
> If you post the results of "route print" and "ipconfig" here both with the
> VPN running and without it running I'll can take a look. Also post the
> output for the XP system with and without the VPN running.
>
> Mike.
>
> "Alasdair" <Alasdair@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> newsD5353B3-42B4-4622-8DEF-D1489493BBE5@microsoft.com...
> > When connected to a pptp VPN resources on the local domain are
> > inconsistantly available. Previously with XP they were always available
> > even
> > if connected to a VPN.
> >
> > What has changed?
> >
> > Printing:
> > From win 7, I can print to a Lan printer shared on the server (2008)
> > Once connected to a remote VPN (windows 2003 pptp), the print que says
> > "Accessed Denied" when trying to print to the same printer.
> > With XP printing was still possible to the Lan even though connected to a
> > VPN.
> >

> > Mapped Drives:
> > Sometime they work, sometimes they don't. If I have a mapped drive to a
> > local file server once connected to the VPN I can't list the contents of
> > drive, or access any of the files.
> > Other times even with a VPN connected I can acess the files. If you access
> > the drive before opening the VPN this seems to help.
> >
> > I thought it may be a DNS issue but I have added the server to my hosts
> > file. The host name resolves correctly even after an "ipconfig /flushdns".
> >
> > Does windows 7 need to resolve service records on the local AD dns server
> > before passing on credentials? The order of accessing DNS servers is the
> > remote VPN DNS server first and then the local DNS server second. Is this
> > why
> > I can always print to a local printer that I installed using its IP
> > address,
> > whilst connected to a VPN, which then prompted me for credentials. I
> > assume
> > the credentials were stored locally, making them always available no
> > matter
> > what the order of DNS servers were.
> >
> > Once connected to a VPN why can't Vista/Win7 always print/access local
> > resources?
> > Connected to the same VPNs XP could always access local recources.
> > Whats changed?
> >
> > --
> > Alasdair

> .

Michael Steiger

"Alasdair" wrote:

> When connected to a pptp VPN resources on the local domain are
> inconsistantly available. Previously with XP they were always available even
> if connected to a VPN.
>
> What has changed?
>
> Printing:
> From win 7, I can print to a Lan printer shared on the server (2008)
> Once connected to a remote VPN (windows 2003 pptp), the print que says
> "Accessed Denied" when trying to print to the same printer.
> With XP printing was still possible to the Lan even though connected to a VPN.
>

> Mapped Drives:
> Sometime they work, sometimes they don't. If I have a mapped drive to a
> local file server once connected to the VPN I can't list the contents of
> drive, or access any of the files.
> Other times even with a VPN connected I can acess the files. If you access
> the drive before opening the VPN this seems to help.

I have exactly the same problem using Windows 7 Ultimate x64 in a Windows
2008 R2 domain and VPN to some appliance.

> I thought it may be a DNS issue but I have added the server to my hosts
> file. The host name resolves correctly even after an "ipconfig /flushdns".
>
> Does windows 7 need to resolve service records on the local AD dns server
> before passing on credentials? The order of accessing DNS servers is the
> remote VPN DNS server first and then the local DNS server second. Is this why
> I can always print to a local printer that I installed using its IP address,
> whilst connected to a VPN, which then prompted me for credentials. I assume
> the credentials were stored locally, making them always available no matter
> what the order of DNS servers were.

For me it is no DNS problem.
Even when connected to the VPN the DNS servers are still the local ones.

Also the default route is to the local gateway and not via VPN.

> Once connected to a VPN why can't Vista/Win7 always print/access local
> resources?
> Connected to the same VPNs XP could always access local recources.
> Whats changed?

Same here. Using XP (like I did before switiching to Windows 7) I could
access all local/domain resources without any poblem.

Now I can not print. For printing I have to disconnect from VPN, then all
print jobs are spooled from my machine to the server.

Michael Steiger

RE: Windows 7 / Vista loses local resources when connected to VPN
After more research I found the following discussion about our problem:
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-networ...l-network.html
Michael Steiger

RE: Windows 7 / Vista loses local resources when connected to VPN
After still more research I found the solution for our problem:

Starting with Vista there is a hidden configuration setting called
UseRasCredentials.
If this is set to 1 Windows uses the credentials of the VPN connection for
all further accesses (this is contrary to the behaviour of XP).

Details can be found here:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-50a5c13a2713/