My experience with MSSE

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Anton Kolakov

My experience with MSSE
Downoaded MSSE for both XP and Win7 64bit. It runs fine on Win7 but on
XP I am seeing as high as 100% cpu spike just from opening a folder.
That is NFG Microsoft. Apart from that it seems good but would it have
been too much trouble to give a quick right click menu item in the
system tray to shut it down for us gamers? I created 2 .bat files that I
can stop and start it with but I shouldn't have to do that.

Another complaint is no option to opt out of sending data back to
Microsoft, only basic info sent and advanced info sent options, this
just about breaks my privacy concerns thresh hold and is something all
other AV progs provide an option for. Default actions suck too, only
options are remove and quarantine. Doh, MSSE has already quarantine 2
exe files that were harmless game files. Where's the ask me what to do
option with an option to ignore? And finally, WTF when I select to scan
a single file using right click context menu in Explorer does it run a
complete scan instead? I only want it to scan the single file. That'sw
what it is doing under Win7 but I just tested it under XP and it works
as advertised.

Anyway, thanks for the free AV, I do appreciate it but fixing the above
issues are paramount to MSSE success. Obviously your beta testers where
not worth much if I can find these issues with it right off the bat.
That's what happens when you open a beta to China but not Canada.
Jesper Ravn

Re: My experience with MSSE
"Anton Kolakov" <ak@noemail.invalid> skrev i meddelelsen

> Another complaint is no option to opt out of sending data back to
> Microsoft, only basic info sent and advanced info sent options, this just
> about breaks my privacy concerns thresh hold and is something all
> other AV progs provide an option for.

You can disable SpyNet, see the link below.
http://www.malwarehelp.org/how-to-bl...ynet-2009.html

>Default actions suck too, only options are remove and quarantine. Doh, MSSE
>has already quarantine 2 exe files that were harmless game files. Where's
>the ask me what to do option with an option to ignore?

You can exclude file and folders.

>And finally, WTF when I select to scan a single file using right click
>context menu in Explorer does it run a complete scan instead? I only want
>it to scan the single file. That'sw what it is doing under Win7 but I just
>tested it under XP and it works as advertised.

Go to MSE forum and report it.
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...S/category/mse

/Jesper

Anton Kolakov

Re: My experience with MSSE
Jesper Ravn wrote:

> You can disable SpyNet, see the link below.
> http://www.malwarehelp.org/how-to-bl...ynet-2009.html
>
>> Default actions suck too, only options are remove and quarantine. Doh,
>> MSSE has already quarantine 2 exe files that were harmless game files.
>> Where's the ask me what to do option with an option to ignore?

> You can exclude file and folders.
>
>> And finally, WTF when I select to scan a single file using right click
>> context menu in Explorer does it run a complete scan instead? I only
>> want it to scan the single file. That'sw what it is doing under Win7
>> but I just tested it under XP and it works as advertised.

> Go to MSE forum and report it.
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...S/category/mse
>
> /Jesper

OK, thanks for the link and I will report it after I test it again to
make sure it is really a bug.
MowGreen

Re: My experience with MSSE
Anton Kolakov wrote:

> Downoaded MSSE for both XP and Win7 64bit. It runs fine on Win7 but on
> XP I am seeing as high as 100% cpu spike just from opening a folder.
> That is NFG Microsoft. Apart from that it seems good but would it have
> been too much trouble to give a quick right click menu item in the
> system tray to shut it down for us gamers? I created 2 .bat files that I
> can stop and start it with but I shouldn't have to do that.
>
> Another complaint is no option to opt out of sending data back to
> Microsoft, only basic info sent and advanced info sent options, this
> just about breaks my privacy concerns thresh hold and is something all
> other AV progs provide an option for. Default actions suck too, only
> options are remove and quarantine. Doh, MSSE has already quarantine 2
> exe files that were harmless game files. Where's the ask me what to do
> option with an option to ignore? And finally, WTF when I select to scan
> a single file using right click context menu in Explorer does it run a
> complete scan instead? I only want it to scan the single file. That'sw
> what it is doing under Win7 but I just tested it under XP and it works
> as advertised.
>
> Anyway, thanks for the free AV, I do appreciate it but fixing the above
> issues are paramount to MSSE success. Obviously your beta testers where
> not worth much if I can find these issues with it right off the bat.
> That's what happens when you open a beta to China but not Canada.

Why are you under the impression that MS actually *listened* to the
feedback from their beta testers ?
And, what makes you think that the beta was only open to those in
China ? Source please.

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"

Antonio López de Santa Anna

Re: My experience with MSSE
On Mon, 05 Oct 2009 15:45:05 -0700, MowGreen <mowgreen@nowandzen.com>
wrote:

>Why are you under the impression that MS actually *listened* to the
>feedback from their beta testers ?
>And, what makes you think that the beta was only open to those in
>China ? Source please.
>
>MowGreen

I never said "China" only but it was a limited beta and was open to
USA and China and not Canada where I live. I know that because when I
tried to sign up for it I was informed by the beta website that it was
not available to Canada was to China and USA only. China? WTF? They
don't even pay for Windows and just pirate it.

They do listen to beta testers but I expect they wanted to make it as
noob proof as possible and is why it as it is. Anyway, it is using too
much cpu resources on my XP PC so am going back to Avira on that PC
and will leave it on Win7 for a while longer but even there I am
seeing up to 50% cpu usage spikes when opening a folder.