Unexpected Windows Update

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

HMT

Unexpected Windows Update
My Vista Ultimate 64-bit Automatic Updates are set to notify and not
download. The last Windows Update I got was Windows Defender two days ago and
several restarts since. All other updates were current before that. I just
restarted my PC and after the HP splash screen got a registry update message
in the black screen area before Windows appears. I then got the typical
message about installing 1 of 3 updates, etc. I checked Windows Update before
restart and it said I was up-to-date. The registry update message with
registry key description in white letters against the black screen is very
strange - have never seen before. It wasn't visible long enough for me to
copy. If there is no explanation, I'll use Ghost to revert back in time.
Ǝиçεl

RE: Unexpected Windows Update
Perhaps this is one of those silent updates to the internal workings of AU
that was pointed over a year ago and it is being rolled out over time. You
may have
gotten it a week ago, you may get it by the end of the month.

In theory the only way to Not get it is to turn off AU completely, all other
settings allow it.

http://blogs.technet.com/mu/archive/...ws-update.aspx

Good luck

Ǝиçεl
◕‿◕
-=-

"HMT" wrote:

> My Vista Ultimate 64-bit Automatic Updates are set to notify and not
> download. The last Windows Update I got was Windows Defender two days ago and
> several restarts since. All other updates were current before that. I just
> restarted my PC and after the HP splash screen got a registry update message
> in the black screen area before Windows appears. I then got the typical
> message about installing 1 of 3 updates, etc. I checked Windows Update before
> restart and it said I was up-to-date. The registry update message with
> registry key description in white letters against the black screen is very
> strange - have never seen before. It wasn't visible long enough for me to
> copy. If there is no explanation, I'll use Ghost to revert back in time.

HMT

RE: Unexpected Windows Update
I just checked Windows Update history and here's what it was - an update to
the update checker. With XP, even this type update would not download or
install without permission with update set to notify. It must be new with
Vista.

Windows Update Agent 7.4.7600.226

Installation date: ‎10/‎3/‎2009 2:53 PM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

The Windows Update Agent enables your computer to search for and install
updates from an update service. The agent can automatically update itself as
needed to communicate with the update service when Windows searches for new
updates.

More information:

Help and Support:

HMT