Am I being hacked?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

rppb

Am I being hacked?
I enter the Tiger Direct sweepstakes and the Lost Treasure sweepstakes.There
is a second step to each sweepstakes.You receive an email from each and
reply to complete the entry.For the last week I haven't received an email
from either to complete the contest.I checked the spam filtered mail from
Comcast.

Malke

Re: Am I being hacked?
rppb wrote:

> I enter the Tiger Direct sweepstakes and the Lost Treasure
> sweepstakes.There is a second step to each sweepstakes.You receive an
> email from each and reply to complete the entry.For the last week I
> haven't received an email from either to complete the contest.I checked
> the spam filtered mail from Comcast.

No one can answer the question you asked in your Subject line without
sitting at your computer and examining it.

Normally, one would not immediately leap to the conclusion that one is being
hacked because two emails haven't arrived. Perhaps someone in your household
doesn't want you to sign up for sweepstakes and deleted them. Perhaps there
are no legitimate sweepstakes, you got suckered into giving your email
address to spammers, or perhaps the emails you got back weren't legitimate
and your antivirus program deleted them.

There is simply no way that anyone just reading your post can give you a
definitive answer. In cases where people post here asking whether their
computer has been compromised, I always say:

Have a competent local computer tech come on-site and take a look. Only
someone skilled like that who is hands-on with the computer can make sure
your machine is OK. Don't use a BigComputerStore/GeekSquad type of place.
Get recommendations from people you trust.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

rppb

Re: Am I being hacked?
Thanks. I have been entering these two sweepstakes for years with no
problems.
> rppb wrote:
>
>> I enter the Tiger Direct sweepstakes and the Lost Treasure
>> sweepstakes.There is a second step to each sweepstakes.You receive an
>> email from each and reply to complete the entry.For the last week I
>> haven't received an email from either to complete the contest.I checked
>> the spam filtered mail from Comcast.

> No one can answer the question you asked in your Subject line without
> sitting at your computer and examining it.
>
> Normally, one would not immediately leap to the conclusion that one is
> being
> hacked because two emails haven't arrived. Perhaps someone in your
> household
> doesn't want you to sign up for sweepstakes and deleted them. Perhaps
> there
> are no legitimate sweepstakes, you got suckered into giving your email
> address to spammers, or perhaps the emails you got back weren't legitimate
> and your antivirus program deleted them.
>
> There is simply no way that anyone just reading your post can give you a
> definitive answer. In cases where people post here asking whether their
> computer has been compromised, I always say:
>
> Have a competent local computer tech come on-site and take a look. Only
> someone skilled like that who is hands-on with the computer can make sure
> your machine is OK. Don't use a BigComputerStore/GeekSquad type of place.
> Get recommendations from people you trust.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

FromTheRafters

Re: Am I being hacked?
"rppb" <rppb@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I enter the Tiger Direct sweepstakes and the Lost Treasure
>sweepstakes.There is a second step to each sweepstakes.You receive an
>email from each and reply to complete the entry.For the last week I
>haven't received an email from either to complete the contest.I checked
>the spam filtered mail from Comcast.

Are you using a web based e-mail client?

If so, not getting e-mails there would have nothing to do with the state
of *your* computer.

lemur

Re: Am I being hacked?

This is on a tangent, but you might consider having an email solely for
sweepstakes and other such activities. This will greatly reduce your
spam for your main email account.

--
lemur

::If *ANYONE* in this forum helps you, please click on
their *REP* icon. Thanks! (the middle scale icon in the upper right
corner)::
rppb

Re: Am I being hacked?
outlook express
"FromTheRafters" <erratic @nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message
> "rppb" <rppb@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I enter the Tiger Direct sweepstakes and the Lost Treasure
>>sweepstakes.There is a second step to each sweepstakes.You receive an
>>email from each and reply to complete the entry.For the last week I
>>haven't received an email from either to complete the contest.I checked
>>the spam filtered mail from Comcast.

> Are you using a web based e-mail client?
>
> If so, not getting e-mails there would have nothing to do with the state
> of *your* computer.

rppb

Re: Am I being hacked?
Sorry, Windows mail
> outlook express
> "FromTheRafters" <erratic @nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message
>> "rppb" <rppb@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>I enter the Tiger Direct sweepstakes and the Lost Treasure
>>>sweepstakes.There is a second step to each sweepstakes.You receive an
>>>email from each and reply to complete the entry.For the last week I
>>>haven't received an email from either to complete the contest.I checked
>>>the spam filtered mail from Comcast.

>> Are you using a web based e-mail client?
>>
>> If so, not getting e-mails there would have nothing to do with the state
>> of *your* computer.

FromTheRafters

Re: Am I being hacked?
Have you contacted the Tiger Direct people (or wherever it is that you
submit your request)?

Your request may not be getting to them. Their reply may not be getting
sent by them. Their reply may be getting filtered out by your ISPs
anti-spam (you checked this if I understand you correctly). Their reply
may be getting filtered by your mail rules. Their reply may be getting
filtered by Vista's (Windows Mail) anti spam
(http://www.simplehelp.net/2007/02/09...mail-settings/).

My vista machine came bundled with McAfee (with anti-spam) - so there's
another way to lose e-mails.

Are you only missing those - yet others (from the same submission
source) come through OK?

You may need to ask in a "Windows Mail" specific forum if indeed it is a
WM issue.

> Sorry, Windows mail
> "rppb" <rppb@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> outlook express
>> "FromTheRafters" <erratic @nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message
>>> "rppb" <rppb@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Are you using a web based e-mail client?
>>>
>>> If so, not getting e-mails there would have nothing to do with the
>>> state of *your* computer.

rppb

Re: Am I being hacked?
Thanks I will check Another strange thing Windows Defender is now turned off
every time when I boot up.I have to turn it on manually even though I have
use real time protection checked.
> Have you contacted the Tiger Direct people (or wherever it is that you
> submit your request)?
>
> Your request may not be getting to them. Their reply may not be getting
> sent by them. Their reply may be getting filtered out by your ISPs
> anti-spam (you checked this if I understand you correctly). Their reply
> may be getting filtered by your mail rules. Their reply may be getting
> filtered by Vista's (Windows Mail) anti spam
> (http://www.simplehelp.net/2007/02/09...mail-settings/).
>
> My vista machine came bundled with McAfee (with anti-spam) - so there's
> another way to lose e-mails.
>
> Are you only missing those - yet others (from the same submission source)
> come through OK?
>
> You may need to ask in a "Windows Mail" specific forum if indeed it is a
> WM issue.
>
> "rppb" <rppb@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Sorry, Windows mail
>> "rppb" <rppb@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> outlook express

rppb

Re: Am I being hacked?
I tried that. Now I didn't receive an email confirmation when I tried to
enter M&Ms, Snickers Halloween sweeptakes.I know someone is screwing with my
mail.I am going to pay someone to check out my computer at my house.