Vista Firewall

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Graham Newey

Vista Firewall
Until recentlyI've been a Win98SE man and had Zone Alarm Free firewall
installed. Never a problem in nearly 10 years.

Although fairly comp literate I've never really "got to grips" with the
workings of FWs.

Recently bought a new computer and the OS is Windows Vista Home Premium---64
bit.

If I choose to install Zone Alarm Free, (which I have currently), should I
turn off the integrated Vista FW?

Is there a definitive answer?

Further, ZA Free is currently installed and operational from "startup". I
often find, when I investigate, that the Vista FW has turned itself "Off".
Does this make sense?

Lastly, regardless of which FW is on, my computer "fails" the "Shields Up!"
"Ping Test". What can I do, if anything, to rectify this?

Any pertinent comments would be gratefully received.
--
GPN
Bruce Chambers

Re: Vista Firewall
Graham Newey wrote:
> Until recentlyI've been a Win98SE man and had Zone Alarm Free firewall
> installed. Never a problem in nearly 10 years.
>
> Although fairly comp literate I've never really "got to grips" with the
> workings of FWs.
>
> Recently bought a new computer and the OS is Windows Vista Home Premium---64
> bit.
>
> If I choose to install Zone Alarm Free, (which I have currently), should I
> turn off the integrated Vista FW?

That should have happened automaticvally when you installed ZoneAlarm,
assuming you're using a Vista-compatible version.

> Is there a definitive answer?

My position is that running two or more software firewalls
simultaneously is generally unnecessary and can _sometimes_ cause
conflicts, potentially negating the protection of both. Even ig there
is no conflict, having two firewalls running simultaneously is most
certainly an unnecessary drain on system resources, without providing
any additional benefit.

As it is, Vista's built-in firewall solution is more than
adequate for most consumers' needs. While it's not quite up to the
ease-of-use standards of Kerio or ZoneAlarm, it has been noticeably
improved over WinXP's version.

There are two interfaces for Vistas built-in firewall:

1) A simplified one accessed through the Control Panel that is the only
one most people see. To further supplement this view, Sphinx's Vista
Firewall Control http://sphinx-soft.com/Vista/) is a piece of freeware
that makes the Vista Firewall much more useful to the average user.

2) And the more advanced "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security
(WF.msc), accessed via the Start Menu's Administrative Tools folder, for
the experienced user who wants more granular control.

> Further, ZA Free is currently installed and operational from "startup". I
> often find, when I investigate, that the Vista FW has turned itself "Off".
> Does this make sense?

Yes

> Lastly, regardless of which FW is on, my computer "fails" the "Shields Up!"
> "Ping Test". What can I do, if anything, to rectify this?

That shouldn't happen if ZoneAlarm were properly configured. Check
your settings, and be sure you didn't download and install any of
Gibson's crapware security "fixes."

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
CrucialHoax

Re: Vista Firewall

Well I can answer your question about turning off the Windows Firewall
if your using a third party program. Its like having 2 anti-virus
programs installed, they dont cooperate very well. So, I would only
leave on either the Windows firewall or the Zone Alarm firewall, choose
one, either one it doesn't matter. As far as it failing a ping test, I
have no idea, does this stop your internet connection?

--
CrucialHoax
neo101

Re: Vista Firewall

hi
I also use Zonealarm (Pro version)
It automatically switches off the built in Windows firewall to prevent
clashes.

If you turn off Zonealarm for whatever reason, Windows firewall will
reappear in 'networked items' folders such as wireless card(marked
"Firewalled")

--
neo101
CrucialHoax

Re: Vista Firewall

That's fine, as the security center is probably configured to
automatically secure the machine when you shutdown ZA. Nothing wrong
here, well, as long as internet connectivity remains.

--
CrucialHoax
Graham Newey

Re: Vista Firewall
Bruce,CrucialHoax and Neo101--

Many thanks to you all for such prompt responses. All comments very helpful.

However, Bruce, can I persue matters a little please?--

(a) My ZA v is 8.0.298.000. I THINK this is Vista 64 bit compatible. Are you
in a position to confirm?

(b)Re the "Ping Test". Not quite with you. The fact is it is
"happening"(failing).HOW should I configure ZA? Checked settings. Everything
SEEMS OK-- but what do I know!? I certainly didn't,
knowingly,download/install anything from Gibson. How can I be sure? Is it not
a little worrying that this would be possible from Gibson. I thought his site
had a good reputation.

Would appreciate your further comments Bruce.

Thanks again to you all,
--
GPN

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> Graham Newey wrote:
> > Until recentlyI've been a Win98SE man and had Zone Alarm Free firewall
> > installed. Never a problem in nearly 10 years.
> >
> > Although fairly comp literate I've never really "got to grips" with the
> > workings of FWs.
> >
> > Recently bought a new computer and the OS is Windows Vista Home Premium---64
> > bit.
> >
> > If I choose to install Zone Alarm Free, (which I have currently), should I
> > turn off the integrated Vista FW?
> >

> That should have happened automaticvally when you installed ZoneAlarm,
> assuming you're using a Vista-compatible version.
>

> > Is there a definitive answer?
> >

> My position is that running two or more software firewalls
> simultaneously is generally unnecessary and can _sometimes_ cause
> conflicts, potentially negating the protection of both. Even ig there
> is no conflict, having two firewalls running simultaneously is most
> certainly an unnecessary drain on system resources, without providing
> any additional benefit.
>
> As it is, Vista's built-in firewall solution is more than
> adequate for most consumers' needs. While it's not quite up to the
> ease-of-use standards of Kerio or ZoneAlarm, it has been noticeably
> improved over WinXP's version.
>
> There are two interfaces for Vistas built-in firewall:
>
> 1) A simplified one accessed through the Control Panel that is the only
> one most people see. To further supplement this view, Sphinx's Vista
> Firewall Control http://sphinx-soft.com/Vista/) is a piece of freeware
> that makes the Vista Firewall much more useful to the average user.
>
> 2) And the more advanced "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security
> (WF.msc), accessed via the Start Menu's Administrative Tools folder, for
> the experienced user who wants more granular control.
>

> > Further, ZA Free is currently installed and operational from "startup". I
> > often find, when I investigate, that the Vista FW has turned itself "Off".
> > Does this make sense?
> >

> Yes
>
> > Lastly, regardless of which FW is on, my computer "fails" the "Shields Up!"
> > "Ping Test". What can I do, if anything, to rectify this?
> >

> That shouldn't happen if ZoneAlarm were properly configured. Check
> your settings, and be sure you didn't download and install any of
> Gibson's crapware security "fixes."
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand Russell

> killed a great many philosophers.
> ~ Denis Diderot

Bruce Chambers

Re: Vista Firewall
Graham Newey wrote:
> Bruce,CrucialHoax and Neo101--
>
> Many thanks to you all for such prompt responses. All comments very helpful.
>
> However, Bruce, can I persue matters a little please?--
>
> (a) My ZA v is 8.0.298.000. I THINK this is Vista 64 bit compatible. Are you
> in a position to confirm?

According to what little specific information I could find on
ZoneAlarms' web site, it _should_ be.

> (b)Re the "Ping Test". Not quite with you. The fact is it is
> "happening"(failing).HOW should I configure ZA?

That, I couldn't say. You'll have to refer to ZoneAlarm's documentation.

Also, how are you connected to the Internet? Is there a router or
cable/DSL modem between you and the outside world? If so, that device
may be what is responding the the pings, and not your computer.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Graham Newey

Re: Vista Firewall
Dear Bruce,

Thanks for your further comments.

I have a "Sky Wireless Router". Hadn't appreciated that IT could be
responding to the pings and not my comp.

I'll contact the techs at "Sky" and see if they can advise me.

Again thanks for the time you have taken and the patience shown,

Regards,

Graham
--
GPN