Anti-Malware and Anti-Virus

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

JamesJ

Anti-Malware and Anti-Virus
I'm currently using AVG free.
Should I be utilizing an Anti-Malware program, also?

Thanks,
James
uker

Re: Anti-Malware and Anti-Virus

"JamesJ" <jjy_darwin@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
> I'm currently using AVG free.
> Should I be utilizing an Anti-Malware program, also?

Yes. http://www.antimalware-software.com/

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Anti-Malware and Anti-Virus
On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 17:53:20 -0400, "JamesJ"
<jjy_darwin@roadrunner.com> wrote:

> I'm currently using AVG free.

OK. Not terrible, but in my view the freeware Avast is a much better
choice.

> Should I be utilizing an Anti-Malware program, also?

Since a virus is a kind of malware, it *is* an anti-malware program.
Please be aware that the term "malware" is short for "malicious
software." It includes viruses, spyware, rootkits, trojans, worms,
etc.

Undoubtedly what you mean to ask is should you also be running an
anti-*spyware* program.

The answer is yes! Very definitely! Without running at least one (and
since none is perfect, much better is two or more) you are *very* much
underprotected.

The two best anti-spyware programs are MalwareBytes AntiMalware and
SuperAntiSpyware, both available in freeware versions. I highly
recommend getting and running both.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Dave

Re: Anti-Malware and Anti-Virus
Vista comes with Defender.

--
Windows 7 RC
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"JamesJ" <jjy_darwin@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
> I'm currently using AVG free.
> Should I be utilizing an Anti-Malware program, also?
>
> Thanks,
> James

Brian the King

JamesJ;1147524 Wrote:
> I'm currently using AVG free.
> Should I be utilizing an Anti-Malware program, also?
>
> Thanks,
> James

It's certainly not a bad idea, I think you would be wise to install
'SUPERAntiSpyware ' (http://www.superantispyware.com/)and run a malware
scan every two or three weeks. SUPERAntiSpyware is pretty universally
well thought of and quite thorough.

This with AVG and you're pretty well set keeping your computer clean.

--
Brian the King
JamesJ

Re: Anti-Malware and Anti-Virus
If a program boasts Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware should that cover it?
I'm not concerned about paying for protection as long as I get what I
should.
My next question I think you answered.
Is Malware and Spyware the same?

James

"Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 17:53:20 -0400, "JamesJ"
> <jjy_darwin@roadrunner.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm currently using AVG free.

> OK. Not terrible, but in my view the freeware Avast is a much better
> choice.
>

>> Should I be utilizing an Anti-Malware program, also?

> Since a virus is a kind of malware, it *is* an anti-malware program.
> Please be aware that the term "malware" is short for "malicious
> software." It includes viruses, spyware, rootkits, trojans, worms,
> etc.
>
> Undoubtedly what you mean to ask is should you also be running an
> anti-*spyware* program.
>
> The answer is yes! Very definitely! Without running at least one (and
> since none is perfect, much better is two or more) you are *very* much
> underprotected.
>
> The two best anti-spyware programs are MalwareBytes AntiMalware and
> SuperAntiSpyware, both available in freeware versions. I highly
> recommend getting and running both.
>
> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

FromTheRafters

> If a program boasts Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware should that cover it?

Sure, but it is a good idea to have access to a variety of antimalware
tools. You could add what others have suggested as long as there are no
conflicts. I would add that occasionally a "rootkit" detector may be
applied. If you have a certain type of rootkit, all of your other tools
will give you bad information completely missing the infestation.

> I'm not concerned about paying for protection as long as I get what I
> should.
> My next question I think you answered.
> Is Malware and Spyware the same?

Some spyware is malware, some adware is malware, most experts consider
*all* viruses to be malware. Malware is the umbrella term for all types
of malicious software (viruses included).

An antimalware program does not necessarily work against viruses. An
antivirus program does not necessarily work against non-viral malware.

You *need* antivirus (for old school reasons), but you probably *want*
antimalware in the current circumstances.

JamesJ

Re: Anti-Malware and Anti-Virus
I don't understand.
Does an antispyware program protect against malware?

James

"FromTheRafters" <erratic @nomail.afraid.org> wrote in message
> "JamesJ" <jjy_darwin@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>> If a program boasts Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware should that cover it?

> Sure, but it is a good idea to have access to a variety of antimalware
> tools. You could add what others have suggested as long as there are no
> conflicts. I would add that occasionally a "rootkit" detector may be
> applied. If you have a certain type of rootkit, all of your other tools
> will give you bad information completely missing the infestation.
>
>> I'm not concerned about paying for protection as long as I get what I
>> should.
>> My next question I think you answered.
>> Is Malware and Spyware the same?

> Some spyware is malware, some adware is malware, most experts consider
> *all* viruses to be malware. Malware is the umbrella term for all types of
> malicious software (viruses included).
>
> An antimalware program does not necessarily work against viruses. An
> antivirus program does not necessarily work against non-viral malware.
>
> You *need* antivirus (for old school reasons), but you probably *want*
> antimalware in the current circumstances.

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Anti-Malware and Anti-Virus
On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 19:47:11 -0400, "JamesJ"
<jjy_darwin@roadrunner.com> wrote:

> If a program boasts Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware should that cover it?

No. I would be very cautious about believing what anyone *boasts*
about.

There are no programs I'm aware of that adequately protect you against
both viruses and spyware.

> I'm not concerned about paying for protection as long as I get what I
> should.
> My next question I think you answered.
> Is Malware and Spyware the same?

No, as I tried to explain. To repeat. "Please be aware that the term
'malware' is short for 'malicious software.' It includes viruses,
spyware, rootkits, trojans, worms, etc."

That means that spyware is one kind of malware, just as a virus is
another kind of malware.

> "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 17:53:20 -0400, "JamesJ"
> > <jjy_darwin@roadrunner.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm currently using AVG free.

> > OK. Not terrible, but in my view the freeware Avast is a much better
> > choice.
> >

> >> Should I be utilizing an Anti-Malware program, also?

> > Since a virus is a kind of malware, it *is* an anti-malware program.
> > Please be aware that the term "malware" is short for "malicious
> > software." It includes viruses, spyware, rootkits, trojans, worms,
> > etc.
> >
> > Undoubtedly what you mean to ask is should you also be running an
> > anti-*spyware* program.
> >
> > The answer is yes! Very definitely! Without running at least one (and
> > since none is perfect, much better is two or more) you are *very* much
> > underprotected.
> >
> > The two best anti-spyware programs are MalwareBytes AntiMalware and
> > SuperAntiSpyware, both available in freeware versions. I highly
> > recommend getting and running both.
> >
> > --
> > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
> > Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Re: Anti-Malware and Anti-Virus
It protects against spyware. Spyware is malware. Viruses are malware.

--
..