linux usb drive

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

ted medin

linux usb drive
I have a usb drive that is from ubuntu (Linux) & would like to access it
from vista but i get access not permitted. So tried to change the
properties so everyone can access the files. See the current owner is
Unix user 501. I tried to change with administration privileges but the
unix files will not let me. Anyone got any ideas? TIA HELP!
Malke

Re: linux usb drive
ted medin wrote:

> I have a usb drive that is from ubuntu (Linux) & would like to access it
> from vista but i get access not permitted. So tried to change the
> properties so everyone can access the files. See the current owner is
> Unix user 501. I tried to change with administration privileges but the
> unix files will not let me. Anyone got any ideas? TIA HELP!

There should be no problem accessing a USB flash drive that is used on Linux
or Unix in Windows. I do this all the time and the different operating
systems don't normally honor permissions set by each other. What file format
is the drive? To get the best interoperability between various file systems,
use FAT32 because Linux, Unix, OS X, and Windows can all write to it.

If is already FAT32, then you just need to take ownership of the drive.
There is no way "the unix files will not let me" is accurate.

To take ownership of a folder (or a drive):

1. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click
Properties.
2. Click the Security tab, click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
3. Click Edit. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an
administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide
confirmation.
4. Click the name of the person you want to give ownership to.
5. If you want that person to be the owner of files and subfolders in this
folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
6. Click OK

Or you can run this at an elevated Command Prompt:

For Folders or Directories (will perform action recursively):

takeown /f drive:\ /r /d y [enter]
(where "drive:\" is your USB thumb drive)
icacls drive:\ /grant yourusername:F /t [enter]
(make the correct substitution of your user account)

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

ted medin

Re: linux usb drive
Malke wrote:
> ted medin wrote:
>
>> I have a usb drive that is from ubuntu (Linux) & would like to access it
>> from vista but i get access not permitted. So tried to change the
>> properties so everyone can access the files. See the current owner is
>> Unix user 501. I tried to change with administration privileges but the
>> unix files will not let me. Anyone got any ideas? TIA HELP!

> There should be no problem accessing a USB flash drive that is used on Linux
> or Unix in Windows. I do this all the time and the different operating
> systems don't normally honor permissions set by each other. What file format
> is the drive? To get the best interoperability between various file systems,
> use FAT32 because Linux, Unix, OS X, and Windows can all write to it.
>
> If is already FAT32, then you just need to take ownership of the drive.
> There is no way "the unix files will not let me" is accurate.
>
> To take ownership of a folder (or a drive):
>
> 1. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click
> Properties.
> 2. Click the Security tab, click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
> 3. Click Edit. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an
> administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide
> confirmation.
> 4. Click the name of the person you want to give ownership to.
> 5. If you want that person to be the owner of files and subfolders in this
> folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
> 6. Click OK
>
> Or you can run this at an elevated Command Prompt:
>
> For Folders or Directories (will perform action recursively):
>
> takeown /f drive:\ /r /d y [enter]
> (where "drive:\" is your USB thumb drive)
> icacls drive:\ /grant yourusername:F /t [enter]
> (make the correct substitution of your user account)
>
> Malke

Ok thanks for the info i tried the above from the cmd with admin
privileges & got access denied.
As to the first part i will try that & thanks. One question i am not
talking about a flash drive but a usb2.0 external hard drive. Is that
important? TIA
Paul Adare

Re: linux usb drive
On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 17:15:44 -0700, Malke wrote:

> If is already FAT32, then you just need to take ownership of the drive.
> There is no way "the unix files will not let me" is accurate.
>
> To take ownership of a folder (or a drive):

None of what follows in Malke's post will work, nor is it necessary. A
FAT32 drive doesn't support file and folder level security so there is no
concept of ownership on the FAT32 file system. Everything described in
Malke's post applies to the NTFS file system and not to FAT32.

--
Paul Adare
MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
Malke

Re: linux usb drive
ted medin wrote:

> Ok thanks for the info i tried the above from the cmd with admin
> privileges & got access denied.
> As to the first part i will try that & thanks. One question i am not
> talking about a flash drive but a usb2.0 external hard drive. Is that
> important? TIA

What file system is the drive? FAT32? NTFS? Ext3? Something else is going on
here. It doesn't matter that the drive in question is an external hard drive
or a USB thumb drive. It matters that the operating system to which you are
connecting the drive can deal with its contents. You say you used this drive
with Ubuntu. Ubuntu normally uses Ext3 and Windows can't read/write to Ext3.

Is this an old hard drive you put in an external enclosure? Can it still be
read from a *nix box? I ask this because another possibility is that the
drive is failing and the reason you can't access its contents has nothing to
do with permissions.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

David B.

Re: linux usb drive
Just a little, again, what file system is in use on the drive?

--
The following is a signature, don't take it personally unless it applies to
you.

------
"ted medin" <n6trf@arrl.net> wrote in message
> Malke wrote:
>> ted medin wrote:
>>
>>> I have a usb drive that is from ubuntu (Linux) & would like to access it
>>> from vista but i get access not permitted. So tried to change the
>>> properties so everyone can access the files. See the current owner is
>>> Unix user 501. I tried to change with administration privileges but the
>>> unix files will not let me. Anyone got any ideas? TIA HELP!

>> There should be no problem accessing a USB flash drive that is used on
>> Linux or Unix in Windows. I do this all the time and the different
>> operating systems don't normally honor permissions set by each other.
>> What file format is the drive? To get the best interoperability between
>> various file systems, use FAT32 because Linux, Unix, OS X, and Windows
>> can all write to it.
>>
>> If is already FAT32, then you just need to take ownership of the drive.
>> There is no way "the unix files will not let me" is accurate.
>>
>> To take ownership of a folder (or a drive):
>>
>> 1. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then
>> click Properties.
>> 2. Click the Security tab, click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
>> 3. Click Edit. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for
>> an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide
>> confirmation.
>> 4. Click the name of the person you want to give ownership to.
>> 5. If you want that person to be the owner of files and subfolders in
>> this folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check
>> box.
>> 6. Click OK
>>
>> Or you can run this at an elevated Command Prompt:
>>
>> For Folders or Directories (will perform action recursively):
>>
>> takeown /f drive:\ /r /d y [enter]
>> (where "drive:\" is your USB thumb drive)
>> icacls drive:\ /grant yourusername:F /t [enter]
>> (make the correct substitution of your user account)
>>
>> Malke

> Ok thanks for the info i tried the above from the cmd with admin
> privileges & got access denied.
> As to the first part i will try that & thanks. One question i am not
> talking about a flash drive but a usb2.0 external hard drive. Is that
> important? TIA

Justin

Re: linux usb drive
Malke wrote:
> ted medin wrote:
>
>> I have a usb drive that is from ubuntu (Linux) & would like to access it
>> from vista but i get access not permitted. So tried to change the
>> properties so everyone can access the files. See the current owner is
>> Unix user 501. I tried to change with administration privileges but the
>> unix files will not let me. Anyone got any ideas? TIA HELP!

> There should be no problem accessing a USB flash drive that is used on Linux
> or Unix in Windows. I do this all the time and the different operating
> systems don't normally honor permissions set by each other. What file format
> is the drive? To get the best interoperability between various file systems,
> use FAT32 because Linux, Unix, OS X, and Windows can all write to it.
>
> If is already FAT32, then you just need to take ownership of the drive.
> There is no way "the unix files will not let me" is accurate.

Oh really?
FAT32 has file permissions? Source?
FromTheRafters

Re: linux usb drive
"Justin" <justin@nobecauseihatespam.com> wrote in message
> Malke wrote:
>> ted medin wrote:
>>
>>> I have a usb drive that is from ubuntu (Linux) & would like to
>>> access it
>>> from vista but i get access not permitted. So tried to change the
>>> properties so everyone can access the files. See the current owner
>>> is
>>> Unix user 501. I tried to change with administration privileges but
>>> the
>>> unix files will not let me. Anyone got any ideas? TIA HELP!

>> There should be no problem accessing a USB flash drive that is used
>> on Linux or Unix in Windows. I do this all the time and the different
>> operating systems don't normally honor permissions set by each other.
>> What file format is the drive? To get the best interoperability
>> between various file systems, use FAT32 because Linux, Unix, OS X,
>> and Windows can all write to it.
>>
>> If is already FAT32, then you just need to take ownership of the
>> drive. There is no way "the unix files will not let me" is accurate.

> Oh really?
> FAT32 has file permissions? Source?

???

I don't see that claim being made.

Paul Adare

Re: linux usb drive
On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 19:51:15 -0400, FromTheRafters wrote:

> ???
>
> I don't see that claim being made.

From Malke's post to which Justin replied:

"Paul Adare" <pkadare@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 19:51:15 -0400, FromTheRafters wrote:
>
>> ???
>>
>> I don't see that claim being made.

> From Malke's post to which Justin replied:
>
> "If is already FAT32, then you just need to take ownership of the
> drive.
> There is no way "the unix files will not let me" is accurate.
>
> To take ownership of a folder (or a drive):"

So, if a USB drive is formatted FAT32, it is no longer a securable
object as far as Vista is concerned?