how to disable public folder

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

SMMIA

how to disable public folder

Hi, I need to know how to proceed to be able to disable my public folder
from being shared with my guest account, don't want to turn off guest
account, I tried creating a user account to limit access by using
parental controls but my computer started giving me low memory messages,
once i removed the account messages stopped. I really need to block all
my folders from being accessed by anyone else other than the
administrator account.

SMMIA
arowen

Re: how to disable public folder

you need to right click, go into security settings run as administrator
and change the sharing permissions for your documents

--
arowen
Malke

SMMIA wrote:

> Hi, I need to know how to proceed to be able to disable my public folder
> from being shared with my guest account, don't want to turn off guest
> account, I tried creating a user account to limit access by using
> parental controls but my computer started giving me low memory messages,
> once i removed the account messages stopped. I really need to block all
> my folders from being accessed by anyone else other than the
> administrator account.

The most efficient and sensible course of action at this point would be to
bring your computer to a competent computer tech. This will not be a
BigComputerStore/GeekSquad type of place.

There is obviously more wrong with your computer than a sharing issue. You
should never be getting "low memory" messages (and if you want help with
this, you would need to quote those error messages exactly) because you
created a new user account. Offhand, I'd say your computer was infected.

1. The Public directory cannot be disabled. It is part of the operating
system and is there for files which are to be shared between all users on the
system. If you don't want someone to have a file, don't put it in the Public
directory!

2. The Guest account should always be disabled. It is a security hazard to
leave it enabled and it will not produce the results you are expecting. If
you can't create a "Visitor" account without getting error messages,
something is wrong with your system that needs to be diagnosed and fixed.

3. Vista does not use passwords to protect resources. NT-based operating
systems use permissions instead. You prevent other users from having access
to your folders by use of user-based access restrictions. Here is
information to help you with that:

Vista Identity Management and Access Control - TechNet -
http://tinyurl.com/6fncvr

Malke
--
MS-MVP