Cannot decrypt files when copying them to another location

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

sunorain

Cannot decrypt files when copying them to another location
On my PC's HDD I have some files encrypted. Used "folder encryption" that is
in one of folder properties selected "Encrypt data..."

Folder is shown in green in explorer respectively.

In the beginning, when I copied any files from this folder to another
location (e.g. USB HDD) files became automatically decrypted, i.e. I could
read those files from USB HDD on any other PC.

But now something changed. Though I did not make any changes to security or
file system settings, files copied from encrypted folder to USB HDD stay
encrypted. That is - I can read them only on PC where I copied them to USB
HDD. On other PCs where I connect USB HDD files are not accessible.

How can I change it back? I need files copied from encrypted folder to USB
HDD to decrypt automatically, because it's backup procedure and I need them
accessible on any other PC. How can I stop encryption attribute to be copied
together with file?
mike0526

Re: Cannot decrypt files when copying them to another location

There are two things you can do. The first is recommended. Navigate to
your certificate folder and copy the certificates ( all of them if there
are more then one ) to your USB storage device. When you go to another
PC you well need to copy the ( using the certificate wizered ) to the PC
you wish to see the files with.

(2) After you plug in your USB storage device in to the "other" PC you
need to ( if available ) COMPRESS the files from the properties box and
then decompress them. It should LOSS the encryption and be able to use
them there.

--
mike0526
sunorain

Re: Cannot decrypt files when copying them to another location
Thank you for advice, Mike. The point is also that "other" PC is laptop, not
so powerful as 1st desktop, so I'm trying not to use there encryption at all,
to avoid system overload.

Old Rookie also mentioned problem can be solved by xcopy /g but I'm still
getting files encrypted when they go to NTFS.
Still I'm trying to find what could make such drastic change when I copied
earlier by "normal" file manager.

"mike0526" wrote:
> There are two things you can do. The first is recommended. Navigate to
> your certificate folder and copy the certificates ( all of them if there
> are more then one ) to your USB storage device. When you go to another
> PC you well need to copy the ( using the certificate wizered ) to the PC
> you wish to see the files with.
>
> (2) After you plug in your USB storage device in to the "other" PC you
> need to ( if available ) COMPRESS the files from the properties box and
> then decompress them. It should LOSS the encryption and be able to use
> them there.

mike0526

Re: Cannot decrypt files when copying them to another location

OK. Lets start from the top. What O.S. are you using on your lap top and
your desk top. XP, Vista, ect.? What version and what Service pack?
If your less powerfull computer isint up to snuff it would probly
just be best to decrypte the files prior to moving them.
Please fill in your system spec,s.

I sincerely wish to help, though I cannot take responsibility for
anything you do with my advice - help me help you, and don't give up!
For the -fastest- help, type your problem in Google. Seriously

--
mike0526
sunorain

Re: Cannot decrypt files when copying them to another location
Vista with latest updates on desktop.
XP with latest updates on laptop.
But latter doesn't really matter, since I copy files from desktop to USB HDD
connected to this desktop.
Yes, I know it's better to decrypt, the point is only that earlier
decryption was done on the fly, automatically (and I wrongfully thought it's
normal and standard), now system behaves as it "should" and I cannot find out
how did I got it to come back to status quo ante.

"mike0526" wrote:

> OK. Lets start from the top. What O.S. are you using on your lap top and
> your desk top. XP, Vista, ect.? What version and what Service pack?
> If your less powerfull computer isint up to snuff it would probly
> just be best to decrypte the files prior to moving them.
> Please fill in your system spec,s.
>
> I sincerely wish to help, though I cannot take responsibility for
> anything you do with my advice - help me help you, and don't give up!
> For the -fastest- help, type your problem in Google. Seriously
>

> --
> mike0526

mike0526

Re: Cannot decrypt files when copying them to another location

Not sure why the encryption is not working as befor. My GUESS would be
the CERTIFACATES were changed or didnt get moved to the XP. But in the
mean time just go to the folder(s) you are transfering go to properties
and uncheck the encryption box.

Good Luck
Mike

mike0526;1132177 Wrote:
> Not sure why the encryption is not working as befor. My GUESS would be
> the CERTIFACATES were changed or didnt get moved to the XP. But in the
> mean time just go to the folder(s) you are transfering go to properties
> and uncheck the encryption box.
>
> Good Luck
> Mike
>
> Goto this Microsoft web sight it has everything you need to get what
> you want done considering encryption on XP and Vista.
> 'Windows Client Security & Encryption | Windows Vista | Springboard'
> (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../aa905062.aspx)
>
> .please click the rep power button if this post is helpfull

|Filename: reputation.gif |
|Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15602|

mike0526