DEP Turning off for a particular program

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Shashi is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DEP Turning off for a particular program
Greetings and Best wishes,

This is my first post in this forum. I use Vista Home premium. my DEP setting is Turn on for all programs except those I select.
My querry is-Whenever I go to the folder of a program in "Program Files" folder, I notice that it has numerous folders, and each of these folders have numerous .exe files. Moreover, it is not possible to "Batch Select" all the .exe files in a folder, the procedure has to be repeated for each .exe file individually. This is cumbersome. Is there a better way of doing it?

Hope my question is not too naive.
Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Shashi : 08-29-2009 at 08:02. Reason: missed a word
FromTheRafters

Re: DEP Turning off for a particular program
"Shashi" <Shashi.3xo5w7@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Greetings and Best wishes,
>
> This is my first post in this forum. I use Vista Home premium. my DEP
> setting is Turn on for all programs except those I select.
> My querry is-Whenever I go to the folder of a program in "Program
> Files" folder, I notice that it has numerous folders, and each of
> these
> folders have numerous .exe files. Moreover, it is not possible to
> "Batch
> Select" all the .exe files in a folder, the procedure has to be
> repeated
> for each .exe file individually. This is cumbersome. Is there a better
> way of doing it?
>
> Hope my question is not too naive.
> Regards,
> Shashi

What are you trying to accomplish?

Shashi is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: DEP Turning off for a particular program
I am trying to turn off DEP for a particular program. Iam doing this because I had got a message that that program has stopped working because DEP has shut it off. This has happened with supposedly safe programs like Comodo FireWall, IDT (audio driver) etc. I suppose the proper thing to do in such cases is to turn off DEP for that program.
Regards,
shashi
Victek

Re: DEP Turning off for a particular program
> I am trying to turn off DEP for a particular program. Iam doing this
> because I had got a message that that program has stopped working
> because DEP has shut it off. This has happened with supposedly safe
> programs like Comodo FireWall, IDT (audio driver) etc. I suppose the
> proper thing to do in such cases is to turn off DEP for that program.
> Regards,
> shashi
>

> --

The way to do it is to turn DEP "ON" for all programs and then add programs
to the exclusion list.

FromTheRafters

Re: DEP Turning off for a particular program
http://www.winvistaclub.com/t208.html

You confused me with your wanting to do many programs at once.

"Shashi" <Shashi.3xpv05@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> I am trying to turn off DEP for a particular program. Iam doing this
> because I had got a message that that program has stopped working
> because DEP has shut it off. This has happened with supposedly safe
> programs like Comodo FireWall, IDT (audio driver) etc. I suppose the
> proper thing to do in such cases is to turn off DEP for that program.
> Regards,
> shashi
>

> --
> Shashi

Shashi is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: DEP Turning off for a particular program
Sorry to have confused you. Please refer to the last line at the website for which you had kindly sent the link. I quote it here for your convenience:

"Browse to the Program Files folder, find the .exe file for the program, and then click Open."

Now when I browse to the programme folder, as instructed, I find not one, but many .exe files. In fact, the programme folder has many sub-folders, and in each of them, you will find many .exe files. other than the main .exe file of the programme.

My query was-"Will I have to follow the instruction for each of those .exe files, or for only the main programme .exe file?"

I have attached two images Image-1R and Image-2R for clarity. Image-1 shows the main programme folder for IDT. You can notice one .exe file setup.exe in this image. You can also see a folder "WDM". Image-2 shows the details in this folder. As you can see, this folder has also a number of .exe files to name a few: AEstSrv.exe, idtmini.exe, IDTPIMA.exe, etc.

So, If I want to turn-off DEP for IDT will I have to select each of these .exe files , as instructed above, and click open? Please note that I cannot group select all the .exe files in the WDM folder and click open, I will have to follow the procedure by selecting one folder at a time, which is quite cumbersome.

Can you help please?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image-1R.jpg (43.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Image-2R.jpg (85.7 KB, 0 views)
FromTheRafters

Re: DEP Turning off for a particular program
There is also this:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...361611033.mspx

I would only turn it off for the (trusted) program you had DEP interfere
with.

....or, as above, have it only "on" for system files (not recommended).