Little red x

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Ed Ahern

Little red x
I've been running Vista for about a year. At various times I will open
something and it seems that there are "boxes" with red x's and a
description. I imagine it is a security thing. Is there someway to shut it
off or am I better off leaving it alone. As an example, if I hit the start
button and then "help and support" I will get these x's.

Ed

Re: Little red x
What do you mean by "boxes with red x"? What does it say in the description?

--
..
--
"Ed Ahern" <eahernisnotat@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I've been running Vista for about a year. At various times I will open
> something and it seems that there are "boxes" with red x's and a
> description. I imagine it is a security thing. Is there someway to shut it
> off or am I better off leaving it alone. As an example, if I hit the start
> button and then "help and support" I will get these x's.
>

> Ed

Ed Ahern

Re: Little red x
windows basics, windows online help, etc. It's like the graphics are being
blocked (?)
<.> wrote in message news:%23pK2SnsJKHA.4236@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> What do you mean by "boxes with red x"? What does it say in the
> description?
>
> --
> .
> --
> "Ed Ahern" <eahernisnotat@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I've been running Vista for about a year. At various times I will open
>> something and it seems that there are "boxes" with red x's and a
>> description. I imagine it is a security thing. Is there someway to shut
>> it off or am I better off leaving it alone. As an example, if I hit the
>> start button and then "help and support" I will get these x's.
>>

>> Ed

Peter Foldes

Re: Little red x
First go to IE\Properties\Advanced and scroll down to Multimedia and make sure you
have a checkmark to show pictures and placeholders. Post back if already checked

--
Peter

> windows basics, windows online help, etc. It's like the graphics are being blocked
> (?)
> <.> wrote in message news:%23pK2SnsJKHA.4236@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> What do you mean by "boxes with red x"? What does it say in the description?
>>
>> --
>> .
>> --
>> "Ed Ahern" <eahernisnotat@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> I've been running Vista for about a year. At various times I will open something
>>> and it seems that there are "boxes" with red x's and a description. I imagine it
>>> is a security thing. Is there someway to shut it off or am I better off leaving
>>> it alone. As an example, if I hit the start button and then "help and support" I
>>> will get these x's.
>>>

>>> Ed

Ed Ahern

Re: Little red x
Everything under multimedia is checked, nothing is cleared

Es
> First go to IE\Properties\Advanced and scroll down to Multimedia and make
> sure you have a checkmark to show pictures and placeholders. Post back if
> already checked
>
> --
> Peter

> "Ed Ahern" <eahernisnotat@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> windows basics, windows online help, etc. It's like the graphics are
>> being blocked (?)
>> <.> wrote in message news:%23pK2SnsJKHA.4236@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>> What do you mean by "boxes with red x"? What does it say in the
>>> description?
>>>
>>> --
>>> .

Phil Rhodes

Re: Little red x
1. Likely you are using 'Internet Explorer' as your browser. Let's say it
has a problem. Try downloading another browser such as 'Firefox' by
'Mozilla'. You can Google these names to find out more about them before
deciding to download the browser. After you get it running, go to the
toolbar, and click on 'Tools' then 'Options' then set Firefox up to delete
everything (temp files, cookies, etc) after you close the browser (shut it
off). Do you see 'little red boxes' when you use it? Of course, deleting the
cookies will mean all of your passwords, etc will be deleted after each use,
and if you find this inconvient, you can change it so that the cookies are
saved (which is why IE doesn't offer this option).
2. Do you scan you system with a spyware scanner? There are several free
spyware scanners out there and if you Google 'spyware scanner' you will get
a list but I can reccomend AdAware by Lavasoft and SuperAntiSpyware
(although it can be anoying) and Spybot. Pick one and try it.
3. Please find the answer to this question - why doesn't Microsoft build a
spyware scanner into IE (or Mozilla into Firefox) so that it can tell the
difference between cookies that you want to save, and cookies that interfere
with your system (ie, spyware)? In the Windows 95 operating system, you had
a seperate folder for cookies that you wanted to keep and you could easily
clean the other one (in fact I bought a "Cleaner" my MS to do just that, if
memory serves).

> Everything under multimedia is checked, nothing is cleared
>
> Es
> "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> First go to IE\Properties\Advanced and scroll down to Multimedia and make
>> sure you have a checkmark to show pictures and placeholders. Post back if
>> already checked
>>
>> --
>> Peter

>> "Ed Ahern" <eahernisnotat@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> windows basics, windows online help, etc. It's like the graphics are
>>> being blocked (?)

John Galt

Re: Little red x
"Phil Rhodes" <pe.rhodes@comcast.net> wrote:

>3. Please find the answer to this question - why doesn't Microsoft build a
>spyware scanner into IE (or Mozilla into Firefox) so that it can tell the
>difference between cookies that you want to save, and cookies that interfere
>with your system (ie, spyware)? In the Windows 95 operating system, you had
>a seperate folder for cookies that you wanted to keep and you could easily
>clean the other one (in fact I bought a "Cleaner" my MS to do just that, if
>memory serves).

1) Cookies as "spyware"... way over emphasized IMO.

2) Get CCleaner. You can do everything you want with cookies using
that program.
Ed Ahern

Re: Little red x
Phil, I get the red x's even without IE. All I have to do is hit my start
button and then "Help and support" Try it yourself on your machine (assuming
you run Vista). After hitting "help and Support" you should get a drop down
on the right. In the drop down is where the x's show up, like a placesetter

Ed
"Phil Rhodes" <pe.rhodes@comcast.net> wrote in message
> 1. Likely you are using 'Internet Explorer' as your browser. Let's say it
> has a problem. Try downloading another browser such as 'Firefox' by
> 'Mozilla'. You can Google these names to find out more about them before
> deciding to download the browser. After you get it running, go to the
> toolbar, and click on 'Tools' then 'Options' then set Firefox up to delete
> everything (temp files, cookies, etc) after you close the browser (shut it
> off). Do you see 'little red boxes' when you use it? Of course, deleting
> the cookies will mean all of your passwords, etc will be deleted after
> each use, and if you find this inconvient, you can change it so that the
> cookies are saved (which is why IE doesn't offer this option).
> 2. Do you scan you system with a spyware scanner? There are several free
> spyware scanners out there and if you Google 'spyware scanner' you will
> get a list but I can reccomend AdAware by Lavasoft and SuperAntiSpyware
> (although it can be anoying) and Spybot. Pick one and try it.
> 3. Please find the answer to this question - why doesn't Microsoft build a
> spyware scanner into IE (or Mozilla into Firefox) so that it can tell the
> difference between cookies that you want to save, and cookies that
> interfere with your system (ie, spyware)? In the Windows 95 operating
> system, you had a seperate folder for cookies that you wanted to keep and
> you could easily clean the other one (in fact I bought a "Cleaner" my MS
> to do just that, if memory serves).
>

> "Ed Ahern" <eahernisnotat@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Everything under multimedia is checked, nothing is cleared
>>
>> Es
>> "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> First go to IE\Properties\Advanced and scroll down to Multimedia and
>>> make sure you have a checkmark to show pictures and placeholders. Post
>>> back if already checked
>>>
>>> --
>>> Peter
>>>
>>> Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
>>> Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.

John Galt

Re: Little red x
"Ed Ahern" <eahernisnotat@comcast.net> wrote:

>Phil, I get the red x's even without IE. All I have to do is hit my start
>button and then "Help and support" Try it yourself on your machine (assuming
>you run Vista). After hitting "help and Support" you should get a drop down
>on the right. In the drop down is where the x's show up, like a placesetter

1. Close the Help and Support window.

2. Start the Registry Editor by clicking Start, typing "regedit" (no
quotation marks), and pressing ENTER. (You need administrator
privileges to do this.)

3. Navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.png.

4. Right-click the .png folder, point to New, and then click String
value.

5. Add a new string named "Content Type" (without quotation marks).

6. Double-click the new Content Type string and set the Value data to
"image/png" (without quotation marks).

7. Close the Registry Editor, and then open Help and Support.
Phil Rhodes

Re: Little red x
Yes, Ed, I clicked on "Start" then "help and support" and that is why I
mention IE, because the "help and support" in not on your computer, it is on
the internet (my laptop is made by HP, so that is where my "help and
support" comes from) and likely, your default browser is IE, correct me if
I'm wrong so your help and support comes from HP or Dell, etc.