Vista: problem with FTP, SSH, TELNET

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Richard

Vista: problem with FTP, SSH, TELNET
I have a new computer running Vista Home Premium to which I migrated all my
work from my old XP computer. The new computer came with Nortons Internet
Security 2007 installed. I uninstalled this, replacing it with Symantec
Antivirus.

From the new machine I am unable to access several different servers via SSH
(WinSCP, SecureFX, SecureCRT), Telnet (PuTTY), or FTP. Firefox cannot access
the Internet, though IE works fine.

Attempting to access any of the target servers results in a Connection
Refused error, but the server's logs do not show an attempted connection.

I have created outbound rules to allow these programs to communicate, have
opened the relevant ports (22 and 3306) AND I have Windows Firewall set to
allow outboud connections. I have even tried connecting with the firewall
disabled entirely. Nothing makes any difference.

I have a remote access program installed; it works correctly, showing that
only outbound connections are being blocked.

I can't access Microsoft support to ask for help because the connection to
validate my Product ID is refused. I even had to telephone in to activate my
copy of Vista.

Any suggestions?

Richard
som

Re:Vista: problem with FTP, SSH, TELNET - Richar
I have the exact same problem, and have tried exactly the same things as you, without success. I use Vista Business. Strangely, ssh worked in March, when I bought it. But starting April, it stopped working. However, it doesnt seem to be a very common problem because most forums dont seem to discuss it. Anyway, let me know if you find something!!

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
PTravel

"Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a new computer running Vista Home Premium to which I migrated all my
> work from my old XP computer. The new computer came with Nortons Internet
> Security 2007 installed. I uninstalled this, replacing it with Symantec
> Antivirus.
>
> From the new machine I am unable to access several different servers via
> SSH
> (WinSCP, SecureFX, SecureCRT), Telnet (PuTTY), or FTP. Firefox cannot
> access
> the Internet, though IE works fine.
>
> Attempting to access any of the target servers results in a Connection
> Refused error, but the server's logs do not show an attempted connection.
>
> I have created outbound rules to allow these programs to communicate, have
> opened the relevant ports (22 and 3306) AND I have Windows Firewall set to
> allow outboud connections. I have even tried connecting with the firewall
> disabled entirely. Nothing makes any difference.
>
> I have a remote access program installed; it works correctly, showing that
> only outbound connections are being blocked.
>
> I can't access Microsoft support to ask for help because the connection to
> validate my Product ID is refused. I even had to telephone in to activate
> my
> copy of Vista.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Richard

I'd suggest dumping the Symantec product and making sure that all traces of
Norton have been removed (not easy to do). I'd also check to make sure no
programs have added to the context menu and, if they have, I'd use a program
like ShellEX to remove the menu entires.

I don't use SSH, but I routinely FTP, telnet and VPN (IPSEC) without any
difficulty from my Vista Business machine. Your problem doesn't seem to be
Vista, but the third party programs that you're using with it.

Richard

Re:Vista: problem with FTP, SSH, TELNET - Richar
I was able to temporarily solve the problem by using MSCONFIG to disable
Symantec Antivirus and (more importantly) the remnants of Norton Internet
Security that were on my computer. Everything worked as expected. I then
enabled the basic functions of Symantec Antivirus one-by-one to make sure
everything continued to work properly.

Because I don't have the activation codes for Antivirus, I'm now waiting for
IT to come uninstall it so I can run Removal Tool to purge the remnants of
Internet Security and then reinstall Antivirus.

At least it's working, though.