Parental Controls

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Willy

Parental Controls
On my PC with Vista Basic I have 2 accounts, 1 being mine as Administrator &
the other being for the kids. Both accounts have Password to enter them.
In the kids account I go into Control Panel>Internet
Options>Content>Parental Controls, however they show as being off and I
can't click none of the options on left side to set them.
Do I need to do this under my Admin. account or what?
--
Thanks, Bill
Post replies back to News Group

Malke

Re: Parental Controls
Willy wrote:

> On my PC with Vista Basic I have 2 accounts, 1 being mine as Administrator
> &
> the other being for the kids. Both accounts have Password to enter them.
> In the kids account I go into Control Panel>Internet
> Options>Content>Parental Controls, however they show as being off and I
> can't click none of the options on left side to set them.
> Do I need to do this under my Admin. account or what?

You need to administer Parental Controls from an administrative user
account. Use Vista's Help & Support to learn about Parental Controls.

BTW, you should not be running as administrator for your daily work. It is
not a secure way to work and if your user account becomes corrupted (not
uncommon) it will be hard for you to rescue the system. The user account
that is for your daily work should be a Standard user, with the extra
administrative user (call it something like "CompAdmin" or "Tech" or the
like) only there for elevation purposes. After you create "CompAdmin", log
into it and change your regular user account to Standard. Then log back into
your regular account.

You would then administer Parental Controls when logged into the CompAdmin
account.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Willy

Re: Parental Controls
Thanks so much for your advice on use of Admin account & Parental Controls.