Setting up a Vista Home Premium PC for College?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Justin

Setting up a Vista Home Premium PC for College?
OK folks, I have been given a laptop for a cousin - he is taking it to
college. How should I set up everything to it is reasonable secure?
I have AVG on it, I am keeping UAC enabled.
What about the accounts? Should I enable the Admin account and give it
a password while his account is set up as a standard user?
t-4-2

Re: Setting up a Vista Home Premium PC for College?
Yes. You should always have a password protect admin account, in case your
cousin messes up the computer. You can then use the admin account to
straighten things up.
P.S. " Enabled " is not the right term unless you meant the Built-in
Administrator account.
t-4-2

"Justin" <justin@nobecauseihatespam.com> wrote in message
> OK folks, I have been given a laptop for a cousin - he is taking it to
> college. How should I set up everything to it is reasonable secure?
> I have AVG on it, I am keeping UAC enabled.
> What about the accounts? Should I enable the Admin account and give it
> a password while his account is set up as a standard user?

Bruce Chambers

Justin wrote:
> OK folks, I have been given a laptop for a cousin - he is taking it to
> college. How should I set up everything to it is reasonable secure?
> I have AVG on it, I am keeping UAC enabled.
> What about the accounts? Should I enable the Admin account and give it
> a password while his account is set up as a standard user?

Is this computer going to be connected to the college's network? If
so, the very first thing to do would be to check with school to
determine what their minimum requirements (OS, security measures, etc.) are.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Justin

t-4-2 wrote:
> Yes. You should always have a password protect admin account, in case
> your cousin messes up the computer. You can then use the admin account
> to straighten things up.
> P.S. " Enabled " is not the right term unless you meant the Built-in
> Administrator account.
> t-4-2
>
> "Justin" <justin@nobecauseihatespam.com> wrote in message
>> OK folks, I have been given a laptop for a cousin - he is taking it to
>> college. How should I set up everything to it is reasonable secure?
>> I have AVG on it, I am keeping UAC enabled.
>> What about the accounts? Should I enable the Admin account and give it
>> a password while his account is set up as a standard user?

I was thinking of having the simple boot up, the one where you have the
pictures. Have the Administrator account there with a Red Cross as its
picture - password protected obviously.
Then have his picture - there under it also password protected with
something fairly simple.
Would that make sense?
t-4-2

Re: Setting up a Vista Home Premium PC for College?
yes, I know what you meant.
Are you using Thunderbird in a Mac ?

> t-4-2 wrote:
>> Yes. You should always have a password protect admin account, in case
>> your cousin messes up the computer. You can then use the admin account to
>> straighten things up.
>> P.S. " Enabled " is not the right term unless you meant the Built-in
>> Administrator account.
>> t-4-2
>>
>> "Justin" <justin@nobecauseihatespam.com> wrote in message
>>> OK folks, I have been given a laptop for a cousin - he is taking it to
>>> college. How should I set up everything to it is reasonable secure?
>>> I have AVG on it, I am keeping UAC enabled.
>>> What about the accounts? Should I enable the Admin account and give it
>>> a password while his account is set up as a standard user?

> I was thinking of having the simple boot up, the one where you have the
> pictures. Have the Administrator account there with a Red Cross as its
> picture - password protected obviously.
> Then have his picture - there under it also password protected with
> something fairly simple.
> Would that make sense?

Justin

t-4-2 wrote:
> yes, I know what you meant.
> Are you using Thunderbird in a Mac ?
> t-4-2

Yes, I use Mac laptops. Since I am on the road I'm using my Macbook 13.
Justin

Bruce Chambers wrote:
> Justin wrote:
>> OK folks, I have been given a laptop for a cousin - he is taking it to
>> college. How should I set up everything to it is reasonable secure?
>> I have AVG on it, I am keeping UAC enabled.
>> What about the accounts? Should I enable the Admin account and give it
>> a password while his account is set up as a standard user?

> Is this computer going to be connected to the college's network? If
> so, the very first thing to do would be to check with school to
> determine what their minimum requirements (OS, security measures, etc.)
> are.

That has already been done and the machine easily meets their specs. It
is a brand new Dell Studio.