Help! Can't download exe file, need permission

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

krgrant1980 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help! Can't download exe file, need permission
I am trying to download a game file I bought. It is an .exe file. No matter
what folder I try to save it to, even if I try to save to a flash drive, the
computer tells me "You need permission to perform this action." I can "Try
Again" or "Cancel" but Try Again only brings up the same message. I am
running from the administrator account. I have already tried shutting off
User [COLOR=blue !important][FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif][COLOR=blue !important][FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Access [/font][COLOR=blue !important][FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Control[/font][/color][/font][/color][/color]. How am I supposed to give myself permission to do this? I've already tried going to Internet options and making sure it is on default... and it is. Please help, not sure what else to do.
t-4-2

Re: Help! Can't download exe file, need permission
Assuming this is your computer and you are the
administator.........................
Right click on the .exe, click Run As Administrator.
Now try again.
t-4-2

"krgrant1980" <krgrant1980.3wmcs3@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:krgrant1980.3wmcs3@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> I am trying to download a game file I bought. It is an .exe file. No
> matter
> what folder I try to save it to, even if I try to save to a flash
> drive, the
> computer tells me "You need permission to perform this action." I can
> "Try
> Again" or "Cancel" but Try Again only brings up the same message. I am
> running from the administrator account. I have already tried shutting
> off
> User 'Access Control'
> (http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/#). How am I supposed to give myself
> permission to do this? I've already tried going to Internet options and
> making sure it is on default... and it is. Please help, not sure what
> else to do.
>

> --
> krgrant1980

FromTheRafters

Re: Help! Can't download exe file, need permission
"krgrant1980" <krgrant1980.3wmcs3@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:krgrant1980.3wmcs3@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> I am trying to download a game file I bought. It is an .exe file. No
> matter
> what folder I try to save it to, even if I try to save to a flash
> drive, the
> computer tells me "You need permission to perform this action." I can
> "Try
> Again" or "Cancel" but Try Again only brings up the same message. I am
> running from the administrator account. I have already tried shutting
> off
> User 'Access Control'
> (http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/#). How am I supposed to give myself
> permission to do this? I've already tried going to Internet options
> and
> making sure it is on default... and it is. Please help, not sure what
> else to do.

Have you tried downloading to the default location, then moving it?

GTS

Re: Help! Can't download exe file, need permission
Do you have a third party security product which may be blocking executable
downloads?
--

"krgrant1980" <krgrant1980.3wmcs3@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:krgrant1980.3wmcs3@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> I am trying to download a game file I bought. It is an .exe file. No
> matter
> what folder I try to save it to, even if I try to save to a flash
> drive, the
> computer tells me "You need permission to perform this action." I can
> "Try
> Again" or "Cancel" but Try Again only brings up the same message. I am
> running from the administrator account. I have already tried shutting
> off
> User 'Access Control'
> (http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/#). How am I supposed to give myself
> permission to do this? I've already tried going to Internet options and
> making sure it is on default... and it is. Please help, not sure what
> else to do.
>

> --
> krgrant1980

krgrant1980 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Help! Can't download exe file, need permission
Well, I do have Trend Micro Anti Virus downloaded on my Laptop. Do you think that is preventing me from getting permission. I keep getting the Windows Defender error msg that I need permission to copy to any file that I choose. Then when I hit ok, it keeps giving me another error that access to folder was denied and to try again. When people say right click on .exe do they mean through Command Prompt because I have and I am the administrator.

krgrant1980 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Help! Can't download exe file, need permission
I've tried right-clicking and run as administrator.. I did it for command prompt.. Not sure what else to do. Went back to try downloading it it won't allow me to. I can go through HP Game Console and buy games and play the games from there... but when I purchased games from gamestop.com, I'm getting this issue.
t-4-2

Re: Help! Can't download exe file, need permission
Try this tutorial : Use method One, easier.
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...ship-file.html

t-4-2

"krgrant1980" <krgrant1980.3wpk0a@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:krgrant1980.3wpk0a@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> I've tried right-clicking and run as administrator.. I did it for
> command prompt.. Not sure what else to do. Went back to try downloading
> it it won't allow me to. I can go through HP Game Console and buy games
> and play the games from there... but when I purchased games from
> gamestop.com, I'm getting this issue.
>

> --
> krgrant1980

GTS

Re: Help! Can't download exe file, need permission
Trend Micro might be involved, but I don't have it to look at. Are there
any settings/options that appear relevant.

Are you able to download other types of files? i.e. Is it only exe files
that you can't save? Only this one or others as well?

What browser are you using to download - name and version?

re. right clicking on exe - This is irrelevant to your problem, which the
other poster seems to have misunderstand. That would possibly apply to
running the exe after you had saved it. You have indicated that you're not
able to download and save it at all.
--

"krgrant1980" <krgrant1980.3wpio5@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:krgrant1980.3wpio5@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...