Windows Defender update Error

microsoft.public.windows.vista.security

Hooter

Windows Defender update Error
Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.63.1021.0)

I Get Error Code 8020000D When trying to install update.

How do I fix it?

Thanks Hooter
MowGreen

Re: Windows Defender update Error
0x8020000D BG_E_DESTINATION_LOCKED
Some other program like chkdsk is currently running which locked the
disk and so BITS is not able to write to the disk.

If the issue is not being caused by a scheduled check disk, then
"something" else is locking the disk or preventing BITS from writing to
the download location.
That "something" could be security software [antivirus/3rd party
firewall/etc], malware, or the Hard Drive may have issues.

If this is Windows Vista, open the Services console. *Right* click
Computer either on the Desktop or Start Menu and choose 'Manage';
allow the User Prompt; open Services and Applications; then Services.
click on Background Intelligent Transfer Service and see if you are able
to Start it.
Then try to update Defender again.
Alternatively, you can manually download the latest Defender definition
from here, save it, and then manually install it:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/po...tions/ADL.aspx

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Hooter wrote:

> Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition 1.63.1021.0)
>
> I Get Error Code 8020000D When trying to install update.
>
> How do I fix it?
>
> Thanks Hooter

Hooter

Re: Windows Defender update Error
Thank you so much for your reply.
As soon as I saw the words "destination _locked" it occurred to me to reboot
& try it again. I should have thought of that before. It solved the problem.
I have worked on Computers before the microchip was invented but the closer
to 80 Yrs old I get the more I fail to remember & reason.

Thank you again.

"MowGreen" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
> 0x8020000D BG_E_DESTINATION_LOCKED
> Some other program like chkdsk is currently running which locked the disk
> and so BITS is not able to write to the disk.
>
> If the issue is not being caused by a scheduled check disk, then
> "something" else is locking the disk or preventing BITS from writing to
> the download location.
> That "something" could be security software [antivirus/3rd party
> firewall/etc], malware, or the Hard Drive may have issues.
>
> If this is Windows Vista, open the Services console. *Right* click
> Computer either on the Desktop or Start Menu and choose 'Manage';
> allow the User Prompt; open Services and Applications; then Services.
> click on Background Intelligent Transfer Service and see if you are able
> to Start it.
> Then try to update Defender again.
> Alternatively, you can manually download the latest Defender definition
> from here, save it, and then manually install it:
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/po...tions/ADL.aspx
>
> MowGreen
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Hooter wrote:
>
>> Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (Definition
>> 1.63.1021.0)
>>
>> I Get Error Code 8020000D When trying to install update.
>>
>> How do I fix it?
>>
>> Thanks Hooter

MowGreen

Re: Windows Defender update Error
You're mowst welcome, Hooter. BTW, I'm not that much younger than you
are and I'm already forgetting simple things that cause 'mysterious'
issues ... like *not* using Passive FTP to log into FTP sites that
require authentication <w>
Glad to hear the issue has been resolved.

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten